• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hello everybody - Changing Dentist due to lack of consistency

S

Spike 1969

Hello folks

Well this is my first post; it isn't really about dental phobia its more about lack of consistency, the question I want to ask all you folks is Is it unreasonable for me to expect to see the same dentist more than once?

My own story goes something like this; like many folks on here I suffered dental phobia due to a bully of a dentist I went to from age 5 till my late teens, the usual non-sympathetic, "put up and shut up, you have to take it etc." I felt like I was not in control of my treatment decisions and had to do what I was told and put up with the pain. The dentist in question was pretty awful and had bad breath himself to boot!

I then finally took the decision to take my trade elsewhere and transferred to a practice down the road where the new dentist was very skilled and understanding and never caused me any discomfort whatsoever and helped cure my apprehension and I stuck there and everything was good.

Fast forward 21 years and my dentist retired and sold his practice to what I can only describe as a businessman who owns several practices, no problem though I managed to get an excellent lady dentist who was amazing so all good then approx. 2 years ago I went in for my check up as usual to find that my wonderful dentist is no longer there and I have to see a "new dentist" no phone call to ask "do you mind if" or anything so I went in saw the new (lady) dentist who was nowhere near as good as my previous Dentist, just did not feel I could trust her, she told me I needed some minor work doing so I booked in for a small composite filling; when I went back, the second dentist had gone and has been replaced my (another) new dentist - again not so much as a "by your leave" or anything but I went in and had the work done, it was OK but I wasn't at all happy.

Bottom line is that I have now seen no less than 5 different dentists in the last 2 years and Im starting to get a little peeved :mad::mad: Does anyone think its too much to ask to see the same dentist more than once?? They appear to have a very high turnover of staff and that isnt good for me as I like routine and don't feel comfortable even though the practice itself is very modern.

Call me picky but I do like to build up something of a rapport to allow a dentist to take some control over me when in the surgery so today I made the momentous decision to change practices; my partner has recommended her dentist as someone who is very kind, considerate and good at involving the patient and she has never seen anyone different for the last 12 years.

I think I am going to be happy with my choice but I am a little apprehensive as its a big step into the unknown but is it any more unknown than the situation I am already in now. Any comments would be most welcome.

I am in the USA so it's differnt I guess, I am allowed to choose anyone who is in my PPO plan or choose someone else and pay fully out of my pocket.

But, I would say that bottom line don't stick with anyone you aren't comfortable with. It's not worth it and not worth getting badly re-triggered again.

Hi Spike 1969 WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

I have been in your position and it is horrible, you never seem to get a dentist as good as the one you were seeing.

I think you have made a very wise move to change as it does seem as if the practice you were going to have a very high turnover, something isn't good when the dentist can't stay around for longer than a few months. It is totally reasonable to expect to see the same dentist when you go. I am presuming that you are a nhs patient like myself. It is becoming harder to get a dentist that stays within a chain as they do seem to move around.

I think if your partner has seen their dentist for 12 years and is highly satisfied then that is a very good recommendation. You seem to stand more of a chance if the principle dentist owns the practice usually doing private work and then having a mixture of dentists doing the mix of private and nhs.

Mine is an owner occupied dental surgery and the dentist I see is doing nhs, I am hoping she doesn't leave but I have seen her now for a couple of years now and I am highly satisfied.

I wish you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Hi Carole

Many thanks for your kind words. Its good to know I am not on my own.

The practice I am leaving is actually private in the fact that I was registered as an NHS patient BUT most of the treatments I have (Bonded Composite fillings, extra Hygienist appointments (I like to keep on top of things :)), implant etc.) are Private so I'm not losing much financially by moving to another practice.

What made me change was I woke up the other day and I was about to make an appointment, wondering if the same dentist would still be there:mad:) and the realisation dawned on me that I am a paying customer and as such am free to take my trade any place I so desire so decision made, been to the new practice tooday to book an initial consultation; will be going on 14th July so will keep you posted and if its good I will put a recommendation on here with review :)

Have to say I do like the feel of the new practice, its run by a principal dentist with 1 associate who has been there for at least 14 years so I at least have a chance of getting some continuity of care at last. Did I make the right decision? the jurys out at the moment.

I am rooting for you, your practice is like mine then, like you say you don't have to stay where you are not happy whether you are private or nhs.

GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: I look forward to reading how you got on :butterfly:

Thanks for that Carole, much appreciated.

Im not really dental phobic, I just like to make sure I am comfortable with a dentist in terms of confidence in their ability, them listening to what I do and don't like, involving me in decisions before I relinquish a bit of control and allow them into my personal space, over the last 2 years that has been sadly lacking:(

I am seeing the Principal dentist at the new practice, only reason being he is the one who does implants and I am interested in having one to replace a broken tooth that had to be removed so I thought its best to see 1 dentist for everything (I'm also going to have a couple of small amalgam fillings changed to bonded composite ones for cosmetic reasons :cool:)

In general best off in a small practice

Hope you will get the doctor according to your requirement this time. Wish you good luck.

At dental surgery's I've gone to (I'm a nhs dental patient in uk) I've always seen the same dentist...I've been registered with several dental surgeries and some has multiple dentists including the one I attend now but I've always seen the same dentist each and every time.

Hello folks

Well this is my first post; it isn't really about dental phobia its more about lack of consistency, the question I want to ask all you folks is Is it unreasonable for me to expect to see the same dentist more than once?

My own story goes something like this; like many folks on here I suffered dental phobia due to a bully of a dentist I went to from age 5 till my late teens, the usual non-sympathetic, "put up and shut up, you have to take it etc." I felt like I was not in control of my treatment decisions and had to do what I was told and put up with the pain. The dentist in question was pretty awful and had bad breath himself to boot!

I then finally took the decision to take my trade elsewhere and transferred to a practice down the road where the new dentist was very skilled and understanding and never caused me any discomfort whatsoever and helped cure my apprehension and I stuck there and everything was good.

Fast forward 21 years and my dentist retired and sold his practice to what I can only describe as a businessman who owns several practices, no problem though I managed to get an excellent lady dentist who was amazing so all good then approx. 2 years ago I went in for my check up as usual to find that my wonderful dentist is no longer there and I have to see a "new dentist" no phone call to ask "do you mind if" or anything so I went in saw the new (lady) dentist who was nowhere near as good as my previous Dentist, just did not feel I could trust her, she told me I needed some minor work doing so I booked in for a small composite filling; when I went back, the second dentist had gone and has been replaced my (another) new dentist - again not so much as a "by your leave" or anything but I went in and had the work done, it was OK but I wasn't at all happy.

Bottom line is that I have now seen no less than 5 different dentists in the last 2 years and Im starting to get a little peeved :mad::mad: Does anyone think its too much to ask to see the same dentist more than once?? They appear to have a very high turnover of staff and that isnt good for me as I like routine and don't feel comfortable even though the practice itself is very modern.

Call me picky but I do like to build up something of a rapport to allow a dentist to take some control over me when in the surgery so today I made the momentous decision to change practices; my partner has recommended her dentist as someone who is very kind, considerate and good at involving the patient and she has never seen anyone different for the last 12 years.

I think I am going to be happy with my choice but I am a little apprehensive as its a big step into the unknown but is it any more unknown than the situation I am already in now. Any comments would be most welcome.

At dental surgery's I've gone to (I'm a nhs dental patient in uk) I've always seen the same dentist...I've been registered with several dental surgeries and some has multiple dentists including the one I attend now but I've always seen the same dentist each and every time.

Yes Im the same now since I binned off the Chain Practice that was only interested in my money; just over 12 months later my superb new dentist, Mike has put right everything that the other practice did incorrectly, he has done it in consultation with me at my pace and it has been an almost enjoyable experience and totally painless to boot.

Best thing I ever did was fire my old dental practice :)

Hi Spike I am so pleased to read that you are happy with your dentist. Just goes to show they are out there it can just take a bit of time to find them.

I guess you are on the 'see you in six months' by now :jump::jump::jump:

CONGRATS :yayy::perfect::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Back