• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP!! Is this a receding gum or just gingivitis?

A

Anonklm98

At my last check up where i had a deep clean i had no pockets greater than 3mm, majority were 2mm. I had slight bleeding when brushing. After that, i got on a great oral care regime but after time fell off the bandwagon. I booked an emergency appointment with my hygienist tomorrow because im just so scared that i have a receding gum (canine tooth) and periodontitis. I have a bit of tartar build up and plaque on my teeth. I brush every day twice a day but really lack with flossing. Any advice would be great as im extremely nervous.

Attachments

• 8DD99F96-9A2C-4CD9-AA45-EA2EEBD1118E.png
    8DD99F96-9A2C-4CD9-AA45-EA2EEBD1118E.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • 26B92463-D48F-46E2-A879-5D01420D3185.jpeg
    26B92463-D48F-46E2-A879-5D01420D3185.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 98
You have a little bit of recession around that canine, you also have mild gingivitis, due to your poor plaque control, so that'll clear up with a bit of effort.

It's quite normal to have a little bit of recession around the canines as you get older, so I wouldn't stress about it. The bone is very thin there and the gum line can move up spontaneously to where the bone is a bit more dense.

If you don't like to use floss, you could try TePe brushes instead, I'm sure your hygienist will advise.

You have a little bit of recession around that canine, you also have mild gingivitis, due to your poor plaque control, so that'll clear up with a bit of effort.

It's quite normal to have a little bit of recession around the canines as you get older, so I wouldn't stress about it. The bone is very thin there and the gum line can move up spontaneously to where the bone is a bit more dense.

If you don't like to use floss, you could try TePe brushes instead, I'm sure your hygienist will advise.
Thank you so much, will the gum tighten around with good oral hygeine and perhaps look less severe? I just feel as if im too young to have gum recession at 20

There's 2 different things going on here, gingivitis which will clear up with better plaque removal and a tiny bit of normal ageing recession around the canines, which is normal and nothing to worry about.

There's 2 different things going on here, gingivitis which will clear up with better plaque removal and a tiny bit of normal ageing recession around the canines, which is normal and nothing to worry about.

I've heard people say that "ageing" is actually not a legit cause of gum recession, but just the fact that older people have had a longer time to let unhealthy gums recede. Don't you think that's true?

No, there's a thing called gingival maturation, happens around the time of final growth stopping, where the gums move up the neck of the teeth by a few mm, it's why we try to avoid doing any cosmetic stuff until the patient is in their mid-20s. As teeth wear they tend to erupt further into the mouth to compensate, which again causes some changes in the gum line.

No, there's a thing called gingival maturation, happens around the time of final growth stopping, where the gums move up the neck of the teeth by a few mm, it's why we try to avoid doing any cosmetic stuff until the patient is in their mid-20s. As teeth wear they tend to erupt further into the mouth to compensate, which again causes some changes in the gum line.
Interesting! Didn’t hear about that before actually even though I’ve been googling a lot haha. What if one canine has a higher gumline than the other? Can that also be due to maturation or is that most likely recession. Sorry for the questions, feel free to ignore me ;)

Both. Also humans are very rarely symmetrical; take a look at your nostrils from below, I bet you 10 internet dollars that one is noticeably bigger than the other :)

Back