• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

hi all newbie,and need help

F

FAITHB

hello everyone i am new to this.
i have a emergency dental appointment this afternoon and am really really scared.i always sit there crying then faint:(
i have a real fear of dentists.

anyone????? i need some ecouragment please i go in at 2.30 today... cant stop shaking feel sick got headache. and keep forgetting to breath.

Hey chick!

I just thought, i'd come and wish you luck. :) I have an appointment not long after you, mine is at 2.45 this afternoon - so we can both think of each other! ;) :)

What is it that you are going in for?

i had a mercary filling when i was 11 yrs old the tooth is now loose and painfull. plus i have holes and broken bits. so not sure what they are going to do? just so scared thats why my teeth are the way they are, not seen a dentist in yrs.

Awwwwww *hugs you* I'm sending some positive vibes your way. :) Does the dentist know that you are nervous? If not, make sure you let him/her know! ;)

I'm going in because i had a filling on Tuesday morning, and on Friday was eating a breakfast bar, and the filling seems to have come away. Nothing wrong with the actual tooth - just the filling! :mad:

no i tried to tell them on the phone he didnt want to know.
i will tell them though when i get there (if i get there)

Awwwwww! Honestly hun, if you do get there and they still don't want to know - then find another one who does want to know! Maybe there's another one at the same practice or something who can help you. :) You're their customer, so they should treat you accordingly! ;) I'm leaving here at about 2ish, but just thought i would come on again and wish you luck!

Faith,

I've only just registered on here so am too late to offer any support, hope things went well?

Paul.

thanks everyone the dentist was nice, i need amoxicillin. have a abcess on two teeth,going back next week to have them out.i did freak out,but he was good about it. the nurse just rolled her eyes and tutted. but then it turns out she is just as scared.

thanks everyone the dentist was nice, i need amoxicillin. have a abcess on two teeth,going back next week to have them out.i did freak out,but he was good about it. the nurse just rolled her eyes and tutted. but then it turns out she is just as scared.

Glad it went well for you.:jump: No-one has ever said this before.....I wonder if all these disparaging dental staff are maybe just closet nervous dental patients themselves??? Trying to cover up their own fear....lol.....nice thought..we could start offering them counselling....

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it went well for you.:jump: No-one has ever said this before.....I wonder if all these disparaging dental staff are maybe just closet nervous dental patients themselves??? Trying to cover up their own fear....lol.....nice thought..we could start offering them counselling....

i have to go back today at 11am and am really scared...
he said to make sure i eat something? i can't eat i feel so ill.

Hi,

Just wanted to add my 'good luck' wishes for this morning.

Holly

Thinking of you and sending lots of good luck wishes ...

Hi Newbie and Super Moderator,
First to newbie,
I so understand your fears. They surely relate to your past experience and it is unfotunate that it was so. However, much has changed and is changing. This forum attests to the fact that people do care and do understand. Always explain your concerns and if you feel not listened to or appreciated, find someone else who will!

Super moderator accurately describes the situation with dental staff (also true of all people) when the are disparaging. They simply seek to distance themselves from what they see as weakness and vulnerabilty. It makes them uncomfortable because they know deep down it is also in them but denied.

Hope all goes well for you.
Philip.

back from dentists, had two teeth out. all went well. had to put needle right down into my tooth as it didn't take. going back on the 12th march for a filling.
thanks for your support.:)