• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

high blood pressure and IV sedation

H

happydancyfeet

Former Member
Is it safe to have iv sedation while having high blood pressure?

I found out at the docs on monday that it was fairly high and my dental appointment is on the 18th. I have also been prescribed citalopram (anti-depressant) for panic disorder/anxiety, tho i wasnt given anything for the blood pressure. I'm not sure of the upper reading, but the lower reading was 105.

Should i inform my dentist beforehand?

Re: high blood pressure

Is your BP usually high? Wasn't just a one off?

Best to let your dentist know anyway, although he'll probably take your BP before they do anything anyway. He'll certainly want to know what other medication you are on too.

BP varies naturally, and if you were a wee bit stressed at the docs ( I know I usually am) then that might push it up. I'd get it checked again - you can get fairly accurate BP monitors for home use these days. But it doesn't sound like your doc was too worried. :)

Thanks for your reply pars-nip,

My bp was high at my last dental appointment having treatment under iv sedation, it has been high since then. But like you said, the doc didnt seem too worried (he knows about my appointment next week :scared:)

I'll let my dentist know about my medication beforehand and hope that i can still have the same level of sedation I had last time.

Another question for you pars-nip.............

I'm due to have cleaning and impressions done under iv sedation next week, and going back in 3 weeks to have lower front teeth removed and a partial fitted. But two of the teeth are really loose due to gum disease and I'm petrified that they will break off during the cleaning or be made even more loose :scared: I'm sure its just calculus holding them at the moment. The tiniest movement of the teeth sends me into panic mode..like today. I dont think I could cope with another 3 weeks of these panic attacks and anxiety.

If I ask her to remove these teeth next week, how long would I then have to wait for the partial?

As you're having the cleaning done under IV, I'd ask the dentist very nicely, with a couple of pleases and thankyous, not to touch the loose teeth whilst doing the cleaning. There's no point cleaning those ones if they are to be extracted IMHO. Certainly clean the rest, but leave the 'calculus bridge' to hold them in situ and it'll be easy just to tidy up any wee remnants of calculus on the adjacent teeth when they extract the teeth and pop the denture into place.

If the teeth were removed next week as you suggest, you'd need at least a couple of days for the denture to be made. However, as the denture technician would be doing a 'rush' job effectively, you'd have to pay a premium for this as he would need to put other jobs on hold whilst working on yours.

Whatever you decide to do, it might be best to let the dentist know what you want in advance, like tomorrow!. That way you can discuss the options fully and both be happy with the outcome. :) Also the technician can be warned to expect to get your gnashers sorted pronto. ;D

Best of luck with it all.

Pars

Thanks for your reply pars,

My appointment was today, and i did inform her that I was scared these teeth might be made more loose after cleaning, and possibly break during the impressions. :scared: ( they didnt) She did say they may feel looser, but it was best to clean them to let the gums heal a bit?? (because of the gum disease i think).

My appointment for the extractions is 8th feb, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the teeth dont get any worse in the meantime (I havent been able to eat much in the last 4 weeks)

Back