• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Horrible experience

  • Thread starter Thread starter gemcool16
  • Start date Start date
gemcool16

gemcool16

Member
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
25
Hello all,

I just had an awful experience at a new dentists that came so highly recommended.

I am so upset and feel so embarrassed its really put me off going back.

I new I had a lot of work to get done and had a treatment plan from one dentist but was told I needed a crown and my dentist didn't have state of the art equipment so I found one that does so it would be an easier process, it turned out I have to get an extraction instead and also there were other issues.

The dentist was taking photos and wanting me to look to make sure I believed him about the treatment needed, I said at first I'd rather not as I was feeling very ashamed, he didnt give me a chance to explain and said that I needed to act like a grown up, and that triggered something in me as I started feeling I was going to cry. I ended up having to leave the room as I got so upset, I'm currently being assessed for ADHD and autism and one thing I can't stand is being told I'm immature because I struggle with certain things - dentists are extremely overwhelming for me at times, it's a new person, bright lights, things in my mouth but always do my best to sit still and not be too annoying for the dentist.

He acted annoyed when I couldn't manage the intra oral X-ray first go, it usually takes me a couple to get comfortable with it in my mouth as sensory wise I find it overwhelming. He whipped it out my mouth and kind of rolled his eyes.

He then told me I couldn't have adrenaline needles for an extraction even though in the past I've had them and been fine but he didn't seem to believe me as he said they wouldn't numb me well but they do and usually I stay numb for about 2 hours.

I left the practice feeling so rubbish. I don't even know what to do now. I spent £85 I could barely afford to be treated like I was an idiot and childish for having a phobia.

Yes I am very nervous about the work and I am upset that I have to lose that tooth and possibly two others but I sat nicely for the exam, and I did explain my disposition beforehand.

Am I being a baby?
 
If he cant be bothered to treat you with the respect and decency you deserve, and work around the fears you have, then I dont think you should be giving him your time and money.

For being scared of the dentist you arent being a baby, you are being rational; its a rational reaction not to put yourself back in situations where people reinforce your fears and then call you a baby for it on top. its not irrational, thats rational, thats avoiding a mean person.

Id say keep looking for another dentist maybe one with a track record of working with anxious patients.
 
No you are not being a baby the dentist was uncaring. I hate being forced to look at giant blown up zoomed in photos of my teeth. I have a lot of craze lines and when you blow them up 500 times bigger it looks like all my teeth are cracked. it makes me panic. I also hate xrays because they make me gag. I think I would want to find a different dentist because you need one who will let you feel safe, not one that will make you feel shamed. It's hard enough as it is to even go to appointments without being made to feel worse.
 
I’m so sorry that you had that experience! You were not being treated with any dignity or respect from that dentist and he does not deserve your business! Better to have found out now than during a procedure though! If you are more comfortable with the previous dentist would it be an option to return to him for the crown? The extraction is solely his opinion but the former dentist seems to think that wasn’t necessary…perhaps you could ask for your X-rays to be sent to your former dentist and ask for his opinion on things.
 
@kitkat Thank you. I was very distressed yesterday and I felt so confused but with a clearer head today I will not be returning to him, the practice manager did get in touch as I left feedback on my experience and she was very apologetic and shocked at his behaviour.

I don't want him to put me off getting the treatement I need so I'm going to ask for my X-Rays on Monday and go back to my previous dentist.
 
@ScaredyCat22 Yeah he was super rude and made me feel so bad about myself! I'm sorry you've felt like that too.
 
I'm glad you will see a different dentist You didn't deserve that disrespect.
 
Back
Top