• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

horrific extraction and bad abcess

K

kerria

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post here. i'm in a lot of pain now. The day before yesterday i had the extraction and need support- it was a horrific experience and i don't want to ever go back to that place again. There's a drain in and stitches though. How do i get another dds to finish the job??

Last Tuesday (five days ago) i went to my regular dentist because i had a very sore tooth and little bit of swelling. The xray showed that a rootcanal with a metal post were broken in half inside the gum (Upper rt - #5 tooth). We made an appt to have an extraction and implant-root inserted on 3/16. My dentist also put me on zithromax for the infection.
The pain and infection became worse the following day and i called for pain meds. Thursday the pain was still so bad and the swelling was 100x worse- involving the side of my face and neck and cheek up to my eye- it looked like i was punched in my face - i had a black eye, even. The pain was so bad so i called my dentist who said to call this OS who gave an appt for Fri.

Friday i had appt from hell with OS. First - almost without any warning at all he gave the WORST PAINFUL injection through my face - i screamed - the pain was horrific. About five people were holding me down-had mean and uncaring attitudes. It was so scary to have them do that to me. There was another injection inside the mouth- Then the dentist took out the pieces of the broken tooth- had this bad attitude towards me- like he was angry at me somehow- it was so horrible. Then besides this- he was talking to the other dentist who casually walked by and was leaving for the day- while torturing me there. Then put in the drain- saying i'd have to come in Monday- like i would ever agree to go back there.

Why are people like that? tears.
he gave an another antibiotic that he said would work better, clindamycin and percocet for pain. Afterwards on the way home the pain was the worst pain i ever had in my life as we looked around for a pharmacy for an hour. Took two percocets - still in pain and called on-call dentist when home and again the next morning. The answering dentist said nothing they could do. i almost went to hospital but finally now pain is a little less. It still hurts a lot though - my face and nose hurts from injection and swelling is still pretty bad.
the bill was so much also for the horrible treatment- over $600

What recourse do i have? why is it ok for dentists to treat people so badly?
Why do they get away with it?:mad:

what can i do? i can't go back there for the drain and stitches removal- i can't make myself- i don't think.
i suffer from PTSD - feel too upset.

tears
kerria

If you were me, what would you do?:confused:

Has anyone ever had an experience like mine?
i wish i wasn't in places like this where so much is out of my control. i'm still in pain and have no idea if things were done correctly or not.

This is so upsetting-

thanks for reading- sorry it's not easy to want to identify with what i'm going through. i wish i didn't have to either!

kerria

Today i have to get the stitches out and the drain taken out:scared:
and am so afraid to go- i don't think i can make myself do it.
:confused:
Thanks for all the support--- not

why doesn't anybody write to me?:(

i don't know what to do about it- maybe i'll just wait- my mouth is still too sore to have anything done.
it's terrible having this big piece of plastic in my mouth.

oooo i wish someone could come with me- someone big enough to scare that mean OS if he hurts me again!!!

It's ALWAYS better to have people with you when you go ---because dentists, etc won't be so mean to you when your family members or friends are there- they can't get away with terrorizing you then.:thumbsup:

kerria

Sorry you haven't got any replies before. Sometimes everyone just thinks someone else will reply. :oops: And not so many people have experiences like you.

There is no reason the OS should treat you like that! He is doing very wrong! He should not have hurt you like that - I know dental injections can be at least nearly painless. Maybe yours was some kind of special version which hurts, but in that case he should have warned you before. It's unacceptable that there were five people holding you down. If this injection was supposed to be very very painful, I understand maybe one person to keep you still may have been necessary so you won't get hurt, but not five! And if it was a more normal injection, none at all (unless you want it)! I'm not familiar with the system where you live, but I think you could complain about that to some official person. Maybe someone else knows what to do about that.

Still, you have to get that drain out. It will be more difficult later, I think. I suppose some other dentist than this evil guy could do that, if not then going back will cause you less harm than not going at all. When this abcess thing is sorted out, never see that dentist again. You deserve better.

I am not an expert here, but from you are saying, this type of treatment sounds like some form of abuse. It seems you are treated very badly both physically and mentally. Personally, I would be seeking legal advice to see if there is a case of negligence or malpractice here. No one should have to put up with being put through this. In the immidiate term, I would be getting treatment elsewhere and getting second opionions on your standard of treatment.

Agree with Graham Dee - assuming you are not exaggerating (I am not trying to call you a liar here - I just honestly can't believe that the stuff you've described is something that could actually be permitted to go on) then yes it is assault and you should probably file a complaint.

Anyway, how are you feeling after all this happened? I sincerely hope today's appointment went better...

Hi Kerria

I'm so sorry to hear that you have had and are having such a bad experience and you have been treated in such a way. I promise that all dentists and dental staff are not like that - there are many caring, professional, wonderful people out there who will listen to your concerns and fears and treat you with respect. I hope after this is all over you can find another dentist who does all these things for you, and that you are not put off going to the dentist in the future because of what has happened.

All the best with everything.

Definitely file a complaint with the state dental board and go elsewhere to get the drain removed....and always take a support person with you in future for your own peace of mind and have them sit in the corner of the treatment room.
Dentists/oral surgeons do not have a license to inflict pain and restrain you like that...every rule in the book was broken. I am happy to report that such tales are very very rare thesedays.

Report them to stop them treating other patients like that. Did it seem like a busy practice by the way...that's no way to build a practice and retain patients and staff.

If the surgery was going to be so difficult then you should have been offered sedation of some kind to make it easier for you to cope willingly.
So sorry you had such a bad experience, it really is not the norm..you don't have to accept such substandard care...you did not give informed consent it sounds like which is also viewed very dimly by the UK authorities at least.:grouphug:

Back