• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How likely am I going to need dentures/implants down the road if I have gum disease?

Angeldove

Angeldove

How likely am I going to need dentures/implants down the road if I have gum disease?

I have gum disease with tooth pockets of 3-5's mostly and 2 7's, but I have been brushing and flossing almost daily (right now my rate is at 92% of the days over the last 3 months). In mid-June I will have my first check up on my gums to see how they're doing.

I don't have any loose teeth.
I don't have any missing teeth.

If I continue to have regular check-ups and daily home care for my mouth, how likely am I going to need dentures or implants down the road?

My parents are in their 60's and don't have dentures (although my Mom has had a lot of work done and my Dad avoids the dentist when he shouldn't). My grandparents all had dentures from what I know.

Yeah I'm 30 and I'm worried about this... I know it wouldn't be so horrible, but I'm wondering if I should start saving now... :(

Re: How likely am I going to need dentures/implants down the road if I have gum disease?

I have gum disease with tooth pockets of 3-5's mostly and 2 7's, but I have been brushing and flossing almost daily (right now my rate is at 92% of the days over the last 3 months). In mid-June I will have my first check up on my gums to see how they're doing.

I don't have any loose teeth.
I don't have any missing teeth.

If I continue to have regular check-ups and daily home care for my mouth, how likely am I going to need dentures or implants down the road?

My parents are in their 60's and don't have dentures (although my Mom has had a lot of work done and my Dad avoids the dentist when he shouldn't). My grandparents all had dentures from what I know.

Yeah I'm 30 and I'm worried about this... I know it wouldn't be so horrible, but I'm wondering if I should start saving now... :(

Not likely at all as long as you keep up with your twice yearly dental cleanings and daily home care. My pockets were way worse than yours. Mine were 7s and 8s. that was 14 years ago. now they are 1s and 2s I don't have dentures and still have all but 1 of my teeth. The tooth I lost was not due to gum disease, it was due to a vertical root fracture caused by a shoddy dentist who broke my tooth during an unnecessary procedure without my permission

Re: How likely am I going to need dentures/implants down the road if I have gum disease?

You'd be fine. Just keep up with the routine.

Have hereditary perio. Dad and sibs lost all their teeth by 30.
Initially presented with deep pockets 7s, 8s, 30-50% bone loss.
Completes deep clean and now in a brace.
Genreal dentist and perio assured me that with good oral hygiene, I'd have a beautiful set of teeth for life.

Thanks to both of you :) If anybody else would like to share, please do!

I went out with shopping with hubby yesterday and I told him I had to buy mouth wash. He was like "AGAIN?" lol He's use to a bottle of mouth wash lasting me 6 months - now I usually go through at least 2 a month since I put it in my Water pik, I put it on my floss, and use it after brushing. I'm honestly thinking of getting a bath caddy to keep all my mouth stuff in since it's taking up so much space. It's really great to hear that as long as I keep up what I'm doing every day, I should be okay! :)

Do you have any bone loss Angeldove ?

I have perio, quite bad bone loss, and some loose teeth.....now I am worried about dentures as my dentist said i would struggle as I dont have much bone to support them ? Looks like I might be eating through a straw...and I am 50 yrs. What a mess. Keep on doing what you are doing sounds like you are on top of it and can prevent any bone loss.

This is a worry I have had before; about 12 years ago I had quite deep pockets in the back of my mouth (4s, 5s and the odd 6), like you I underwent a radical change with my cleaning routine (even now I insist on going for cleanings every 3 months even though I've been told I don't need to)' I have a whole shelf in the bathroom cabinet dedicated to dental products and I've been told unless I'm really unlucky I am likely to have my teeth for a very long time indeed (I'm 46 by the way)

To be honest from what you have said, it sounds highly unlikely you will be needing any Implant surgery for the foreseeable future, I'm having an Implant but like scaredy, losing the tooth was nothing to do with Periodontal problems, I had an RCT treated tooth that wasn't crowned and it broke off.

keep doing what you are doing, I'm sure you will be fine (it's also nice to know I'm not the only compulsive dental product buyer as well ;):giggle:)

You guys had it better than me.
I'm not even 30, in my 20s.

You'd be fine.

Do you have any bone loss Angeldove ?

I think that I do - I'm pretty sure that dentist had to shave the bone during the gum flap surgery (I was crying to my husband afterwards how I knew what my own bones taste like :() - but nothing in my mind sticks out about the dentist being really concerned about bone loss. So I think if I have it, it's not horrible ??? Knowing what I know now, I've been trying to look closer at my x-rays when I go to the dentist's. I didn't have any bone treatment (besides shaving as far as I know) to regrow bone during the gum flap surgery. And no loose teeth right now.

Back