• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long can you wait between root canal and getting a crown?

LenaD

LenaD

I have a temporary filling for my newly root canaled tooth I can’t get in to start the crown until the 31st should I be worried about the length of time inbetween?

When I had my root canal I was told you have to wait at least two weeks to allow for the tooth to heal or settle down or something like that...for some reason they would not do it right away...but it ended up being something like 4-5 weeks before we started the crown I believe (due to scheduling issues) and all was fine. The temp filling should hold up until then.

Hi Lena,

You should not worry about the length between the appointments. As long as the temp filling does not feel too high, there is no problem.

I had a root canal in January done by an endodontist, and it was three months until I got the crown - all was well. I think in the UK it is normal to have a period to make sure the tooth settles before crowning.

I had a root canal in January done by an endodontist, and it was three months until I got the crown - all was well. I think in the UK it is normal to have a period to make sure the tooth settles before crowning.
It is always better to build up the tooth after knowing the base (the root) is good and stable.

Hi Lena,

in my practice we sometimes even wait up to 6 months until a crown is placed, that's if the dentist wants to really make sure the tooth is settled (as Judy and Dr.Daniel said) and sometimes also for us to take care of gums in the meantime if there are issues. Root canal teeth get crowned because they can get weak and break over time but even them getting weak is a process that takes some time.

All the best wishes

I had a root canal two months ago and am going for the crown on Monday. I've had no issues but will get it checked on Monday and if she thinks it's not 100%, then i'm sure she will have me wait. Mine is the very back top molar and I want it done soon to get it over with as it is stressing me by leaving it.

This is a relief. I’ve never had a root canal so I don’t know what to expect. The tooth has calmed down which is awesome. It’s been quite a journey and I’m so happy to finally be almost done. I’ve dreaded a root canal for years to the point I was thinking of pulling it instead of going through it. It wasn’t easy because of my mouth size and where my jaw is but I have a feeling it will be hardest one to do so all the others will be a walk in the park compared and in my mind it’s always better to get the hardest one out of the way.

It certainly builds confidence to get the hardest one done first! It’s also easier after you know what to expect. Root canal was my most dreaded fear and after doing one, I feel like I could do it again and not be that stressed about it! The hard part is over for you!

I had a temporary crown on a root canaled tooth for six months. The tooth wouldn't settle, so they wanted to wait. That was a molar.
I had a root canal 3 months ago on my front upper tooth, and it still hasn't been crowned, or prepped for a crown.

You will be fine! I am glad the tooth is feeling better!

Exception is if the tooth is cracked then you typically want at least a temporary crown in place right away. Last month a patient of mine had a rct and waited about two months before the crown. The tooth cracked and had to be extracted.

Back