• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long should it take for my bones and gums to settle after extraction?

V

Vixibixi

So after being told I needed my top teeth taken out two and a half years prior, I finally got up the courage to have them taken out. My dentist told me I'd be, as I refer to it, 'toothless' for 6 weeks. The dental surgeon told me 12 weeks. OUCH, but okay, it's only teeth, I could do that. And I have. So 13 weeks after the surgery I went to have my dentures started only to be told I still have bone fragments, and dentures will be 1) incredibly painful to wear and 2) will need to be refitted in 6-9 months time, which is a cost I won't be able to cover myself, so I have little choice but to wait it out.

My question is, is this normal? It's been 16 weeks (!) since I had them out, do I just keep waiting around and being toothless or do I need to suck it up and go to the dentist again for more poking and prodding and potential pain? :o

Any advice is appreciated, I'm beside myself at the moment. :cry:

Re: How long should it take for my bones and gums to settle after extraction?

I don't have anything to add- haven't been through that, but I'm so sorry you've had to deal with not having replacement teeth to use. I hope, at the very least, you're not in any pain. And I hope someone else has some more info for you than I do.

Hi xx

how many extractions did you have at once?? And how old are you, did you see about implants

Hi xx

how many extractions did you have at once?? And how old are you, did you see about implants

Aside from my wisdom teeth, that I had out about 15 years ago, and the two teeth that had fallen out already, I had all my top teeth out at once. I'm 37, and I have peritonitis so I was told I shouldn't have the implants, so my only real option was to have them out once and for all and go with dentures.

I don't have anything to add- haven't been through that, but I'm so sorry you've had to deal with not having replacement teeth to use. I hope, at the very least, you're not in any pain. And I hope someone else has some more info for you than I do.

Thank you. A little sympathy goes a long way. :)
Both the dentist and the surgeon said I should wait for dentures, so on their recommendation I have.
Unfortunately I am in a bit of pain, I'm still on soft foods, even when rubbing my nose I bump the gums and it hurts. I could cope with the aesthetic, I'm not overly vain or anything and not having teeth is what it is (don't get me wrong, I WANT MAH NEW TEETH), but it's the pain that is really beginning to get me down now.

So after being told I needed my top teeth taken out two and a half years prior, I finally got up the courage to have them taken out. My dentist told me I'd be, as I refer to it, 'toothless' for 6 weeks. The dental surgeon told me 12 weeks. OUCH, but okay, it's only teeth, I could do that. And I have. So 13 weeks after the surgery I went to have my dentures started only to be told I still have bone fragments, and dentures will be 1) incredibly painful to wear and 2) will need to be refitted in 6-9 months time, which is a cost I won't be able to cover myself, so I have little choice but to wait it out.

My question is, is this normal? It's been 16 weeks (!) since I had them out, do I just keep waiting around and being toothless or do I need to suck it up and go to the dentist again for more poking and prodding and potential pain? :o

Any advice is appreciated, I'm beside myself at the moment. :cry:

Sounds like where you go does things a lot different then where i live. When mom got her upper and lower work done(upper was one year and lowers were like a year or 2 later), She got her dentures immediately after extractions. She did need them relined at one point which is pretty normal. With my upper and lower partials, i had the upper extractions one week and the lowers the next and i got both the upper and lowers after the second round of extractions. However, that was more of a case of discovering that my partials weren't ready and i could either get my upper extractions that day and lowers the next or do it all the next week.

And i can't see why they'd be painful to wear w/ chips still there. Mom didn't have problems with the uppers and the lowers only had minor issues but i think that was more of a fit problem. While i did have problems, you have to understand i have a different story and it wasn't due to chips. When the lowers were made wherever that was done, there was a molding problem so they were kind of warped so i had to have molds for a new lower made a week after extractions. And my uppers are made where they hook onto 2 teeth and i've had major issues due to several of my remaining teeth being shorter then average. So that one is standing at the status of same teeth but the pink part and wires have been redone at least 2 times.

and if they'd wait for all the tooth chips to be out, you'll be waiting a while since mom had a chip or 2 show up months after extractions. And i had to go in november to have a chip yanked and my lower work was in MAY.

And as far as if you should go in, up to you. Personally i wouldn't of cared having to wait on my partials but then again i don't even wear them much as it so that's just me. I think it was about 5 wears in january, 4ish in feburary, and my journal here is showing me as having 3 torture sessions this month and tomorrow will mark number 4. I am currently at a "today would be day 8 w/o wearing them but i'm putting them in" rotation. And i figured out why i've been feeling sick to my stomach. It's 3 days until the 1 year anniversary of me starting my journey that's been filled with nothing but misery. This is one of those, i REALLY hope my dentist doesn't discover this site b/c i'd NEVER here the end of it.

Back