• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

how long to wait between amoxycillin and penicillin

H

Hope12

Hello,
How many hours do I have to wait. My doctor has switched me from Amoxicillin to Penicillin. How many hours do I have to wait before starting the penicillin. I took amoxicillin this morning. It's not working and they switched to penicillin.
Thanks,
Hope12

Re: How Long between>

This is a bizarre thing to do. Penicillin has a narrower range of action than amoxycillin and won't do a thing that the amoxycillin already is doing. Has the amoxycillin been causing you to have stomach upsets or something?

There is no problem with taking a Penicillin tab six hours after the last amoxycillin...

Hello Gordon,

Yes the amoxicillin upset my stomach and so they gave me penicillin 500 mg. I have taken it and am still sore. I wish they would just give me a shot of penicillin or something. The oral surgeon set the date for Feb 3rd but in the mean time antibiotics was keeping it under control, until this new surgeon tapped my tooth and made it flare up again. I was doing fine on the penicillin and then they switched me to amoxicillin and when my daughter told him he hurt me by tapping on the tooth, he gave me 500 penicillin. He wanted to give me amoxicillin but it upset my stomach to the point I felt really sick.

I know that in an injection they give a large dose of penicillin. Before they worked on my daughters wisdom tooth and pulled it they told her to take 4 penicillin tabs before her appointment. Because my mouth hurts and is slightly swallon on the chin, I am thinking of taking two 500 mg penicillin to get it back under control.

Any way I called the dentist Martha and she said she is not an oral surgeon and I am waiting for a recomendation from her. It should come today. I then have to safe the money to go. Here in the US you pay before they do the work. Half when they set up the appointment and the other half when you go for the appointment. Money is needed before they will actually do the work needed. Anyway I hope this tooth gets under control again. I hate my situation right now and am tired of all the nonsense about money.

I thank you for your help Gordon.
Take care,
Hope12

Hi Hope, tapping the tooth is a fairly common thing to do to establish how badly infected it is. Much though I don't like the sound of your former oral surgeon, you can't really blame him either for tapping the tooth or for making it worse, it's just a coincidence.

Thanks Gordon,
I guess I just don't feel comfortable with him but you are he needed to establish which tooth and how bad it is.

I am to go see the new oral surgeon next week and will fill you in on how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

BTW: "Would you just take a trip to South Florida and pull this tooth already! Just kidding, but If you were here I would go to you in a heartbeat. You sound kind and like someone I could trust. I feel that if I could just find someone who I can communicate with and feel comfortable with, I would not be such a baby about it.

Thanks for talking with me.
Hope12

Hi Hope,

Glad to hear you will be seeing a new oral surgeon. Fingers crossed that this one will treat you with some respect and compassion :thumbsup:.

By the way you are not being a baby. It really is not too much to ask that someone respect you and your fears.

Back