• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am beyond terrified! Please help!

S

scaredofeverything99

I just found out that wisdom teeth removal has a chance of nerve damage..... I was already terrified of the surgery but not I am hysterical! I'm still going to get it done since I have to but I am so horribly scared! All 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and I know those are harder to extract.... I'm really scared please help! I go in for a consultation tomorrow. Then after that we'll schedule my surgery, but we don't plan on having the surgery until Janurary and I don't want to be worrying about this for that long!

Hi Scared of everything,

I know how scary it is to think of these extractions, or really any dental work, but wisdom tooth extractions are a bit extra scary to our minds, I hope you will get more peace after you meet the surgeon and see what they have to say, are you going to a genreal dentist or oral surgeon. i had 3 wisdoms pulled by dentists and one by an oral surgeon, the worst part of it was reacting to the codeine , i think the scariest is the thought.. i hope you find a really competant and compassionate place to get this done and help you through and know we are here for you to talk about it in the process..

Krlovesherkids777, I am going to an oral surgeon. My regular dentist does not do exstractions.

:) Cool! You're going to an oral surgeon! That's great! A surgeon is likely to have much better extraction technique than a dentist and the odds of complications or hitting a nerve are miniscule.

My surgeon said as part of "informed consent", he legally had to tell me about nerve complications....but in 25 years of practice he's NEVER hit one. He compared it to riding an elevator. Sure, there' a *teeny chance* the elevator could fall, but if we let tiny chances like that scare us....we'd never leave our houses.

To think about it like that, the car ride to the appointment is the riskiest part.

My extraction was at 7:30am this morning. A few days before, I was researching everything and crying. I wondered if I'd start shaking and sobbing in the chair, but that didn't happen. During the procedure, I felt zero pain, zero fear. 15 hours later, I still feel great. He didn't hit a nerve. No complications, and not even any swelling (although I might look like a chipmunk later!)

I bet that soon, you'll feel good enough to come back on this board and tell other people about your experience, so that *they won't worry! <3