• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am terrified of what's happening with my back tooth - and my teeth in general.

K

KierenG

Hello there, I'm gonna get straight to it because I am literally sweating with worry and fear.

I never had any wisdom teeth removed, so I assume this issue is with my Left top wisdom tooth. (I'm 23 years old, if this helps at all.)

I'm not feeling any pain, but i've felt the back of my mouth and there is a big gap between the tooth and the gum. The tooth doesn't seem wobbly, and I've noticed this gap get a little bigger and bigger over time. I don't spit blood or anything like that when I brush my teeth.

This doesn't seem normal. Are wisdom teeth known for doing this? Will it just fall out on it's own? I'm terrified of going to the dentist but I'm feeling seriously backed into a corner right now and it's really messing with my head.

The gap is currently about a quarter/third of the width of my index fingertip. It's not insignificant. I'm seriously hoping it's just going to come out on it's own and that'll be that.

What's going on and what should I do? I've never had to go to the dentist for so much as a toothache before and it's the uncertainty of not knowing what's going to happen that is terrifying me.

Secondly, up until relatively recently, I didn't take the best care of my teeth. I'm mainly just asking if there's any reassurance that I can save my own mistake and my teeth by now taking care of them, or am I doomed to terrible teeth because of my dumb and stubborn child, teenage and young adult years?

Last edited:
To be honest, it's hard to know what's going on from your description. The only way to find out is to get a dentist to look at it.
It's unlikely that you'll have done so much damage in your "youth" that your teeth are beyond salvage now, again only a dentist could tell you properly.
Have a look at the "finding a sympathetic dentist" stuff on here and take it from there... lots of people on here have been where you are right now, so there's plenty of support here for you.

Back