• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i cant believe i am doing this...

N

noway

ok so i have been on here a few time and i just cant bring myself to talk about this with anyone...."sigh" ....i cant sleep properly...i cant function well...the very mention of a dentist...makes my stomach turn :o frantically its unbelievable..if anyone brings it up i just change the topic or walk out the room...and its actually starting to get to me...i haven't been in ages and i know i should go..but i just cant do it..i haven't been in a few years...probably 4/5 and i didnt enjoy it then and i cant see myself enjoying it now..i always had good teeth and only had two fillings...one of which has come out and the other was one of those silver ones which both done without LA ..despite him drilling out an old filling and placing a new one..i gripped the chair and stuck it out.. and i know i should get it fixed but cant bring myself to do it...(this is so embarrassing) i cant bear the thought of someone lecturing me ...i dread even needing an LA.. to be honest the thought fills me with dread...i sent an email to one dentist and they haven't replied and phone calls i cant do...im promising myself that i will go...and get it fixed...i just dont want to find anything else...i think not knowing is the worst part..i cant tell my parents or anyone cos they will only laugh and tell me im making a big deal out of nothing...what to do what to do....

Welcome Noway!
You came to the right forum. Everyone on here is great and you will get a lot of great advice on here.

I felt just like you a few months ago and finally took the plunge in March after not going for 12 years. I always changed the subject when someone talked about teeth or the dentist and now I can't stop talking about the dentist.. LOL

I bet your teeth are not as bad as you think. You took a great first step with your email to a dentist. Now you just have to wait for their reply and take it from there one step at a time.

Hello noway:

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Dental fear is very common and nothing to be ashamed of, millions of people have it.

You are making a wise choice to start dealing with this issue. Avoiding the thing you are afraid of increases the anxiety and its power over you.

In regard to dental lectures. This really does not happen anymore. Dentists have found this to be counter productive. Also, the advances in dental tools and techniques have vastly improved and the whole process can be discomfort free.

It would be a good idea to talk with your parents or someone you trust. The support in helping you face this issue is beyond price.

Take this one step at a time. You can overcome this by believing in yourself and your abilities. You are taking a courageous step in your life in facing the fear. Well done.

Blessings :)

Hi noway

Welcome to this wonderful forum. Everyone on here is in the same boat more or less. I am only new here, but if it wasn't for this forum I would not have taken the first step in taking control of my fear of the dentist.

I hadn't been in 10 -12 years! And like you I would change the subject/switch tv channels, anything to ensure I wasn't faced with anything to do with the dentist. That however, as you know doesn't make you feel any better. My teeth would constantly be on my mind, and I would find myself looking closely at friends teeth thinking you lucky things! I felt as though it was taking over my life!

BUT... I made the first step last week in made an appointment, for me I was in a lot of pain that I really had no choice, even though pain killers worked I knew I needed to take action! Wedneday this week was the day! And let me tell you, I am so pleased I went! I was incredibly nervous, I guess mainly of the reaction I would get from the dentist, I didn't want to be judged as neglecting my oral hygiene. My dentist was fantastic! We talked about why I hadn't been in so long, and not once did she judge me. I walked out feeling such a relief, its such a great feeling. I think I expected a whole lot worse, although I do need some work done - but as she said to me, 'you knew when you came in this wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but well done for making this first step and lets get you all fixed up! - she was really positive the whole time!

As everyone else on here, I can totally sympathise with you. Although I haven't had any fillings yet ( i know I do need one root canal, and a wisdom tooth extracted) I honestly feel so much better for taking that first step, and I am sure as soon as you are able to, you will feel the same. Good thinking in emailing the dentist first, hopefully they respond before too long. I honestly believe dentistry has changed so much over the years, and you will be in very capable hands, and if you aren't happy with one dentist you can always change.

Good luck, keep having a look around this forum because if it wasn't for this I don't think I would have made the first step. I had my teeth scaled when I was there, and the difference it made to my teeth was amazing! I am now looking at them in the mirror thinking WOW I never knew they could look so clean, rather than constantly looking in the mirror and feeling guilty that I hadn't been for so long.

So... what to do? See if you can muster up the courage to make that first appointment (in your own time obviously), and I can pretty much guarantee you will walk out of the appointment with such a great feeling of over coming your fear, and feeling in control of everything. Had I known the first appointment was going to be how it was I would not have left it so long - nearly twice as long as you! You can do it!:)

thanks...i feel so stupid...pathetic ..well thats what my parents thought when i was younger..when i used to have to be dragged kicking and screaming ....literally until i got old enough to just ride it out...

by the way...anyone get the feeling that silver fillings ruin ur smile...im worried..cos if i need any fillings they are probably going to be silver...and i cannot afford white ones...well not right now any way...my mom has sooo many(all of her molars have amalgam in them) and i cringe at the thought of having a mouth full of silver...i dont even smile as it is...

oh and last question i promise...i have a wisdom tooth that is growing sideways and one that has just emerged but doesn't seem to be able to grow anymore being so far in the corner...do u think i would have to get them removed...i can reach the sideways one..but the other is slightly tricky...

Last edited:
Hi Noway
Why are you so afraid of LA? That's what makes dental procedures comfortable so you don't have to 'grip the chair' ...you can relax and maybe even watch a DVD instead, depending where you go.

The mucosa of the mouth are very different from the skin on say your arm and that means it is possible for a caring dentist to give you LA without it hurting at all....maybe you should make finding a dentist with comfortable injection technique a priority. Numbing gel and slow delivery is the key..the reverse of what you might think.

There are some useful links here:

Congrats on posting here :grouphug:

hey brit...

im not sure...i guess i have a thing about needles....i hate blood work too...no i definitely had a thing about needles...yup-needlephobic too..

I'm needle phobic too, and I consider dental injections pretty easy. It hardly hurts at all. I was surprised how easy it was.

I'm needle phobic too, and I consider dental injections pretty easy. It hardly hurts at all. I was surprised how easy it was.

Doesn't have to hurt at all..all in the technique.

i guess ur right....

i guess the only thing i need to do right now is find the courage to make an appointment...

then after that ....take each thing as it comes...:cry:

thanks guys

if any of my friends knew i was posting here they would laugh for sure...