• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I cant believe I'm doing this!

Re: Surgery day approaching

In 3 days, I have ny appointment with the oral surgeon to remove the 3 teeth that are planned for exraction.
As the day approaches, I have struggled with my feelings of anxiety and terror which have so overwhelmed me that I started to become withdrawn. To, as my husband said, "loose my spark"
However, I have to come to realize that the biggest part of what I am struggling with is not so much the fear of what will happen on Tuesday (though that is certainly there!) but what I am really fighting are the ghosts of the past that would have me believe me this going to be a horrible experience. As somone wisely pointed out to me recently, the past does not and cannot predict the futire. Therfore, I can chose to believe the ghosts of my dental past or I can chose to believe that this time things will be different, this time will be a very positive experience, possibly the best one yet.

Now, that this computer of mine is behaving to let me post, (last night it
S-L-O-W-L-Y did not send in my reply :p) I can echo my earlier email thoughts by saying, Drummerswife the "so-called ghost" are exactly that, ghosts, dead and GONE! You have already (long-since) conquered them, the remnants are simply "their" futile attempt at coming back. Awesome attitude on this appointment being your best one yet. See, as I said in email, you now truly believe in yourself, which in itself means so very much, but lol, when combined with that of your wonderful sounding hubby, Dr. katie, and all of "us" on here, those dead and done ghosties stand zip chance. :)

:XXLhug: You will do fantastic.

Mona

Hi drummerswife
I just sent you an e-mail but I just wanted to say I know exactly how yr feeling when you have yr appointment coming up its all you can think of and its horrible nothing takes yr mind off it. I tried to occupy myself as much as possible it helped a little bit because sitting around definately didnt.
Anyway dr engel seems like a really nice man from his pics he seems very kind i would trust him he must be kind remember you met him without any meds and he managed to reassure you always trust yr instincts thats so important and from what you said i think you trust him.
Honestly now I know how easy it is to have a tooth out i could do it again( with my dentist only !!!) i'd be nervous but thats it it was so quick and easy and thats why i know you'll be ok once you have the right dentist or surgeon you've already won the battle really !!!!
hope yr ok im thinking of you lots and lots
emma

Hi Drummerswife,

I will be thinking of you this coming week and I am confident you will do great. Kick those ghosts of the past out of your life because a new drummerswife has arrived!

Thanks Olivacs, I laughted out loud when I read that, I love it.
My husband has taken the day off work to be with me. He said it gave him a good excuse for a vacation day and plans to do some painting while I am sleeping off the drugs. One of the nurses at the hospital where I work had extractions done using Versed and Fentanyl a couple months ago and she said "Its completely fabulous. I'd do it again in a minute"
I hope she's right.

Glad I made you laugh! We can all use a few laughs these days!
I think you will do great with your extractions...

I had six extractions and four wisdom teeth pulled in one day all under plain old local and I survived..so with the stuff you will be getting it will be wonderful!

By the way, aren't husbands great...at least most of the time LOL...
Mine took off with me the first few times I went to the dentist and the day I had my extractions and I was so grateful!!

Six extractions with just LA. Wow! You are far braver than I! The mere thought of that strikes terror in my heart.
Yes, husbands are great---at least most of the time. Mine drives me batty sometimes with his prefectionisms but I love him. And I am so very grateful he will be there with me for the before and after.

LOL I wouldn't call it brave because I was terrified out of my mind! I just hope that was the worst of my battles with my teeth.

It seems like you have a great team of dentists and surgeons working for you so you everything will go better than you ever expected.

As for husbands, I can remember walking out of the room when I was done after my extractions and the look on his life was priceless. I was so numb from all the LA that my bottom lip was hanging down a good 4 inches and I could not get my mouth to close for 6 hours when the local numbness finally wore off. We laugh about it now because I must have looked ridiculous. He told me it took everything in him not to laugh at the way my lip just hung there from the numbness but he said he felt horrible for me instead..LOL

Take care and the best of luck to you!!

Even though you were scared, if you could do that with just LA, you ARE brave because I couldnt even consider it! To me that is nothing short of amazing.
My first visit with Dr. Katie I had to be heavily sedated for everything including x-rays. And even now, 3 months later, it takes 40 mg of Valium (10mg the night before and then another 30mg right before I go)
Love your husband story Lol! So kind of him not to laugh at you.
Here's one from my hubby.
Before my husband learned of my dental phobia, he knew nothing of medications such as Valium, etc or their effects on people. With the size dose I take, I usually pass out in the chair and Dr. Katie does her thing and then wakes me up when she's done. Its a great system really. Well, the first time she worked on me, my husband was in the room and watched the whole thing. He said it was so bizzarre to see me follow directions from Dr. Katie when I was asleep. "Like a puppet on a string" he said.
And then when they stand me up, I weave like I'm drunk and he has to walk behind me out to the car. Dr. Katie said of my surgery on Tuesday "It'll be just like when you come to see me except you'll have better drugs" to which my hubby replied with a grin "Oh, goody I'll bring the stretcher" :)

LOL I can't believe your husband's comment..ha ha. That made me laugh so hard, but the funny thing is I could see my husband saying the same thing.

How does the valium work for you? The dentist gave me a small dose to keep on hand in case I need it before one of my appointments. I have not taken it and am a bit nervous as to how I will respond. Not sure why I am so afraid to take it but I bet it could have eased some of my severe anxiety a bit on appointment days. From what it sounds like you need to have a driver all the time right..even with small doses?
I have went to the last few of my appointments myself...not by choice but just because my husband's work schedule changed. I did ok but there's nothing like having someone be able to go with you for support!!

I can't believe you go on Tuesday already...time is just flying by isn't it?
I go Thursday for a few fillings and so far I am ok but the nerves will kick in I'm sure like usual.

Everybody's body chemistry is different and dosages also vary so no way to say how Valium would affect you.
I can tell you though how it affects me. The 10mg I take the night before which just takes the edge off the anxiety so I can sleep. The oral surgeon has instructed me to do this tommorrow night as well. I will also take 10mg before I go to the office Tuesday morning. He says this will serve as a pre med which will help take just a bit of the edge off for me so I am a tiny bit calmer when they put the IV in. We hope anyway.
The 30mg I take before dental appoitments with Dr. Katie makes me feel very relaxed and sleepy so it takes away the fear. I am not truly asleep but neither am I completely aware of things either. I kind of float in and out. I have sort of bits and pieces of awareness and memories but I'ts fragmented and I'm not frightened by anything.
Whether or not you would benefit from Valium is again hard to say because its such an individual thing. I can only say though that, for me, it was the only way we could get past my intense terror.
As my sense of trust in DR. Katie contiunes to grow, our goal for the next few months is to see if we can start reducing the level of medication I need.

Thanks for the info. on the valium. The dentist told me that I could take 10mg the night before and the day of my apointment if I wanted to. If I have another procedure that is too much for me I may try it and see how I do. I mean I haven't used it yet and I guess if I made it through my extractions without it I should be able to handle my fillings and crown without it...at least I hope!

I know there is talk of me needing possible gum surgery and I think if it came down to needing it I would have to try the valium because I will be in sheer panic.

Well I am glad it works for you so well because that is important to feel comfortable. It sounds like Dr. Katie is just superb with you and you sure can't beat that.

I had a friend of mine who had gum surgery but it was done by an oral surgeon and they knocked her out for it. Dont know if that helps.

Hi drummerswife
I sent you a email but I just wanted to say ive been thinking of you all day and I really hope yr surgery goes well.
sending huge hugs and all the best wishes i can
let us know how it went!!
love emma:grouphug::XXLhug:

Hi drummerswife!

Hope everything goes well today and let us know how you make out!

I also emailed you but am sending extra good thoughts your way right now. :hug2:

Mona