• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do i do now? I cant believe this?

D

Dentist hater

I went to have my root canal yesterday but when i went there i went in and the dentist was in his normal clothes, wasnt wearing any dentistry clothes. He then told me that he could no longer carry on with my treatment as he does not have any more funding to carry on in the practice. I cant beleive it i am back to square one with the same problems again. I asked him why the other dentist couldnt do my treatment and he said he has enough patients as it is. I think this is awful because 3 monthes ago he said to me that i will have to come back in three monthes for the rest of my treatment and then i wait that time and then am told i cant have any more and that he is leaving. He said that the other dentist had given him some funding out of his and used that to work there as it was firstly a one man practice but they wouldnt extend the funding for him. Can this happen? I really dont think its fair. Telling me to come back for a root canal when he was leaving. I am so upset and dont know what to do, i need treatment and cant get it. What do i do now? Is this fair? Also if a dentists refers you to a dental hospital, do they actually contact you or do they just leave it and forget about the referal and how long does it take to get in there? Am just so upset and i dont know what to do?

I don't suppose the dentist is overjoyed about it either, seeing as they're out of work... if you've been referred to a dental hospital then they will contact you when you get to the top of the waiting list.

i've been waiting for nearly 2 months for a letter about an appointment from the dental hospital in my area..........still nothing. :mad:

I'm surprised they can cut you adrift mid a course of treatment though????
However making proper arrangements for you (to comply with professional etiquette) could just involve getting another NHS dentist in your area to see you and they wouldn't be of your choice.
I think you should contact your local PCT and see what they suggest.
Very bad luck for you..the first case I've ever heard mid-course of treatment...we have heard of people being unable to get check-ups for several weeks because of them waiting for the funding to come in.

There could also be more to this than you are being told...but I still think they have some responsibility to at least point you in the direction of alternative NHS treatment.

I think there is more to this to be honest.This is a disaster, even if i do find an NHS dentist, they probably wont do the root canals, i think these teeth are ok to save and then i will do everything i can to look after my teeth, also i heard the dentist read out a 3 when he put the probe in my gums, is this number good or bad. He did x ray at the last appointment and wrote notes and that.