H
haeshin
Member
- Joined
- Oct 14, 2015
- Messages
- 51
My last tooth, upper left side, has been experiencing a light throbbing or pressure for a month now. The sensation sometimes feels like the pressure is pushing against the back of the tooth, or squeezing it above the gumline, and sometimes seems to spread to the other teeth in my upper right side. I was scared that, though painless, it may mean I need a root canal or worse, tooth extraction. Or what if something went wrong when my dentist put in a filling where there was tooth decay, because that's the area where the throbbing/pressure usually is?
Then recently I woke up to a headache in my left temple, and the painkillers I took didn't seem to work. Neither did an ice pack. All I could do was wait for it to go away, which it didn't until after I threw up liquid into the sink. During part if not most of the headache, I felt as though my upper left teeth were being pulled upward into the gums. Before and after, I sometimes felt pressure in my left temple/cheek after it originated somewhere in my teeth. Yup. The sensation travels or stretches out. Could it be TMJ? What if it's the kind that needs surgery? Or what if the headache is something else and, God forbid, I've got head problems along with tooth ones? If so...how lovely.
Either way I know I must call the dentist but simply put, I am scared. I've had (wisdom) teeth extracted before and it HURT despite numbing shots. Last time I went for the same symptoms (minus headache), I was told that it might be plaque and food bits, so I needed to floss and wait a while before the dentist started talking things like root canals. Well, it's been a month and I still got the same symptoms. Does that mean I'm not flossing properly or do I need a root canal? I wish he hadn't said those words at my last visit! What if I didn't explain my symptoms properly? It's not always easy to do so when I just don't know the right words.
I know I have to call, but I'm scared. Not freak-out-cry-exclamation point kind of scared, but quietly, constantly, really just scared. I'm hoping that I find the guts to call soon, because they always say the sooner the better, but I'm scared and a little tired too, after a year of various other problems that had me in the dentist office every other month. I don't know if it's getting me depressed or irritated.
Then recently I woke up to a headache in my left temple, and the painkillers I took didn't seem to work. Neither did an ice pack. All I could do was wait for it to go away, which it didn't until after I threw up liquid into the sink. During part if not most of the headache, I felt as though my upper left teeth were being pulled upward into the gums. Before and after, I sometimes felt pressure in my left temple/cheek after it originated somewhere in my teeth. Yup. The sensation travels or stretches out. Could it be TMJ? What if it's the kind that needs surgery? Or what if the headache is something else and, God forbid, I've got head problems along with tooth ones? If so...how lovely.
Either way I know I must call the dentist but simply put, I am scared. I've had (wisdom) teeth extracted before and it HURT despite numbing shots. Last time I went for the same symptoms (minus headache), I was told that it might be plaque and food bits, so I needed to floss and wait a while before the dentist started talking things like root canals. Well, it's been a month and I still got the same symptoms. Does that mean I'm not flossing properly or do I need a root canal? I wish he hadn't said those words at my last visit! What if I didn't explain my symptoms properly? It's not always easy to do so when I just don't know the right words.
I know I have to call, but I'm scared. Not freak-out-cry-exclamation point kind of scared, but quietly, constantly, really just scared. I'm hoping that I find the guts to call soon, because they always say the sooner the better, but I'm scared and a little tired too, after a year of various other problems that had me in the dentist office every other month. I don't know if it's getting me depressed or irritated.
Last edited:

