• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need to face it

N

nightowl89j

Sigh. These things are true. I am 28 years old, last time I went to the dentist I was 10 and ran out screaming. I stupidly smoked for 8ish years and drank a lot of high sugar energy drinks. I did not look after my self.

As you can see not a good combination really, my front lower teeth are almost all black and or rotton in various ways, the front middle four are the worse but it has spread to 2 either side. There are lumps of plaque basically holding them together at the minute with various bits and bobs falling off. This week matter got worse when my gums have clearly become diseased and started to move away.

I work as a Store Manager and in a public facing role I have always been terrified of having a giant gap in my teeth.

I'm so ashamed I have let it get to this but I am still to this day petrified of the dentist and not sure I can bring myself to do it.

J

#lostcause

I was in the same boat as you but have come out the other side.
I had to have my top 4 front teeth out and a permanent bridge fitted (due to gum disease) I was terrified! All good now! Bridge was fitted yesterday and I couldn't be happier. In fact I've opted to go back tomorrow to have a cosmetic white filling done.
The things I've learned are that dentistry has come a long way - no pain involved at all now!
Also dentists have SEEN IT ALL! No mouth will shock them.
Take my word for it, book that 1st appointment and start the journey to a great smile.
Honestly, you'll feel great :)

Sigh. These things are true. I am 28 years old, last time I went to the dentist I was 10 and ran out screaming. I stupidly smoked for 8ish years and drank a lot of high sugar energy drinks. I did not look after my self.

As you can see not a good combination really, my front lower teeth are almost all black and or rotton in various ways, the front middle four are the worse but it has spread to 2 either side. There are lumps of plaque basically holding them together at the minute with various bits and bobs falling off. This week matter got worse when my gums have clearly become diseased and started to move away.

I work as a Store Manager and in a public facing role I have always been terrified of having a giant gap in my teeth.

I'm so ashamed I have let it get to this but I am still to this day petrified of the dentist and not sure I can bring myself to do it.

J

#lostcause

Booked an appointment for tomorrow shaking just thinking about it. Can't put it off any longer though. Some of my bottom teeth are a black green colour. Literally petrified about going hope I can make it through the door! I'm fairly certain the teeth don't have long left they have got seriously worse I've the last week for some reason. I think most of the bottom front need to come out there might be one in either side that can be saved. I just hope to be able to find a solution that means I can carry on at work. Even if just temporary I don't want to be showing up with a huge gaping hole.

Urrrghhhhh wish I had looked after myself when I had the chance. Stupid cigarette smoking idiot. Never touching an energy drink again. I really hope I can get trough this tomorrow I'm sure the dentist is going to be positively horrible to me and I would deserve it.

Hi nightowl89j,

well done on having made the appointment, that's a big step and very brave! :jump: It's ok to be terrified, the first steps are often the scariest ones. Your dentist will understand that you wouldn't like to go to work with a gap, there are for sure solutions for that.

Please do not make yourself bad for your past habbits. Back then you didn't know what you do know now so it's not fair to judge your past you. The only thing that counts is that you are now determined to get your issues sorted and to keep healthy habits.

Sending good vibes for tomorrow, let us know how you got on :)

Good luck at your appointment. Let us know how it goes.

Booked an appointment for tomorrow shaking just thinking about it. Can't put it off any longer though. Some of my bottom teeth are a black green colour. Literally petrified about going hope I can make it through the door! I'm fairly certain the teeth don't have long left they have got seriously worse I've the last week for some reason. I think most of the bottom front need to come out there might be one in either side that can be saved. I just hope to be able to find a solution that means I can carry on at work. Even if just temporary I don't want to be showing up with a huge gaping hole.

Urrrghhhhh wish I had looked after myself when I had the chance. Stupid cigarette smoking idiot. Never touching an energy drink again. I really hope I can get trough this tomorrow I'm sure the dentist is going to be positively horrible to me and I would deserve it.
How did your appointment go?

Back