• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I survived the first appointment

L

lbenzineb

Went to the dentist this morning. I drank the liquid oral sedation. I felt nauseous for about 10 minutes after I drank it. Then the feeling went away. I remember vaguely getting in the chair. Don't remember little things. I do remember the shots, but I guess I didn't care. The one thing I did not like was that I had to swallow constantly. They said I had a very deep filling. Don't remember. Didn't care. If this is how it's going to be for the next 2 appointments with oral sedation. I can do this. The other thing I didn't like is when I was done, the hygienist came in to measure my gum pockets. On the side I was numb, there was no problem. The side that wasn't numb was painful. But I had mostly 1, 2, and 3's, a few 4's and a 5. For not having my teeth cleaned for 12 years, they said it wasn't bad, but I still have to have a deep cleaning in April-May.

All in all, after many sleepness nights and eatless days, I did it and I didn't make a fool of myself! If I could do it, so can you. I went into that office wringing my hands and just about sitting on my husband!

Went to the dentist this morning. I drank the liquid oral sedation. I felt nauseous for about 10 minutes after I drank it. Then the feeling went away. I remember vaguely getting in the chair. Don't remember little things. I do remember the shots, but I guess I didn't care. The one thing I did not like was that I had to swallow constantly. They said I had a very deep filling. Don't remember. Didn't care. If this is how it's going to be for the next 2 appointments with oral sedation. I can do this. The other thing I didn't like is when I was done, the hygienist came in to measure my gum pockets. On the side I was numb, there was no problem. The side that wasn't numb was painful. But I had mostly 1, 2, and 3's, a few 4's and a 5. For not having my teeth cleaned for 12 years, they said it wasn't bad, but I still have to have a deep cleaning in April-May.

All in all, after many sleepness nights and eatless days, I did it and I didn't make a fool of myself! If I could do it, so can you. I went into that office wringing my hands and just about sitting on my husband!

that awesome, well done, I had my first appointment Friday and am getting the first work done next week, congratulations and I hope you are celebrating the success.

It's a shame insurance won't cover oral sedation. If it had been available to me in the past, I still would be nervous, but I would also know that the sedation works. For over 50 years I have been worse than terrified to go to the dentist. I was so surprised this morning when I looked at the work he did yesterday and saw that I no longer had any metal in my mouth! He replaced one crown and put in a new one and all the fillings were the white resin. I can't remember a time when my mouth didn't have metal! I'm also surprised that my mouth isn't even sore. I slightly remember him putting something that felt like foam to keep my mouth open. Nothing painful and understandable since with sedation it's probably a tendency to want to close you mouth. My dentist uses Midazolam (liquid Versed). I think other dentists use pills. The liquid Versed works fast. Within 20 minutes, I was gone. He worked on me for a couple of hours and by the end, I was coming out of it, so it's not super long lasting. If anyone can afford to do this, I highly recommend it. :jump:

Back