S
scaredykat
Junior member
- Joined
- Feb 8, 2007
- Messages
- 9
As a boy I would vomit after leaving the dentist office; not out of terror but from the bad tasting creams they used. To this day I get sick to my stomach when I walk by a dentist office, the smell alone is horrific.
My teeth are in very bad shape. I can't tolerate hot or cold foods, and sometimes both sides of my mouth hurt enough to prevent me from chewing. I have one molar in pieces as chunks at a time have broken off leaved jagged edges. My upper right molars have very bad cavities. I've lost fillings, most from my childhood years.
I grew up in a family where I'd be seriously punished for getting a cavity and that might have something to do with my fear today. In addition, I'm convinced my childhood dentist was satan himself, that pick thing gives me nightmares as he'd scrape and scrape without any use of an anesthetic.
About ten years ago a dentist got mad and stomped out of the office because I was putting him behind due my repeated requests for more novacaine. I could feel what he was doing and I was in pain. I was the first patient of the day and he was in a hurry. I made them remove the dental dam and I walked out all numbed up for nothing. I'm paranoid that this could happen again.
The name of this thread is appropriate because its true. I'm not suicidal, it just means I'd rather a tooth get infected and cause serious complications that would kill me rather than go to a dentist. I'm afraid of the pain, I'm afraid of lectures, I"m afraid of how much it will cost (no insurance). I have credit cards that could cover emergencies and even the bill from that is giving me nightmares. When I went to have some decay removed a few years ago (not volunteerily, I always wait until the pain is unbearable and over the counter pain pills don't do the trick); anyway they did a complete assessment and told me I'd require about 14,000 dollars worth of work if I wanted to save my teeth. I started to look into dentures and after reading all the internet horror stories that could go wrong I might be better off trying to save what teeth I have left. Is it too late for me? The broken tooth is causing terrible pain right now and I know I have to have it pulled. Maybe they can put me out completely for it. I'm afraid to miss any work though, do dentists have Saturday hours?
I'd be grateful for any advice. Just so you know, I'm a 37 year old man. Construction workers are supposed to be pretty tuff guys, not when it comes to this.
P.S. I'm in the Seattle area, if anyone knows of a dentist that can help with patients like me, please give me a recommendation.
My teeth are in very bad shape. I can't tolerate hot or cold foods, and sometimes both sides of my mouth hurt enough to prevent me from chewing. I have one molar in pieces as chunks at a time have broken off leaved jagged edges. My upper right molars have very bad cavities. I've lost fillings, most from my childhood years.
I grew up in a family where I'd be seriously punished for getting a cavity and that might have something to do with my fear today. In addition, I'm convinced my childhood dentist was satan himself, that pick thing gives me nightmares as he'd scrape and scrape without any use of an anesthetic.
About ten years ago a dentist got mad and stomped out of the office because I was putting him behind due my repeated requests for more novacaine. I could feel what he was doing and I was in pain. I was the first patient of the day and he was in a hurry. I made them remove the dental dam and I walked out all numbed up for nothing. I'm paranoid that this could happen again.
The name of this thread is appropriate because its true. I'm not suicidal, it just means I'd rather a tooth get infected and cause serious complications that would kill me rather than go to a dentist. I'm afraid of the pain, I'm afraid of lectures, I"m afraid of how much it will cost (no insurance). I have credit cards that could cover emergencies and even the bill from that is giving me nightmares. When I went to have some decay removed a few years ago (not volunteerily, I always wait until the pain is unbearable and over the counter pain pills don't do the trick); anyway they did a complete assessment and told me I'd require about 14,000 dollars worth of work if I wanted to save my teeth. I started to look into dentures and after reading all the internet horror stories that could go wrong I might be better off trying to save what teeth I have left. Is it too late for me? The broken tooth is causing terrible pain right now and I know I have to have it pulled. Maybe they can put me out completely for it. I'm afraid to miss any work though, do dentists have Saturday hours?
I'd be grateful for any advice. Just so you know, I'm a 37 year old man. Construction workers are supposed to be pretty tuff guys, not when it comes to this.
P.S. I'm in the Seattle area, if anyone knows of a dentist that can help with patients like me, please give me a recommendation.
2 months ago I said the exact same thing; rather die than go to dentist. Rather shoot myself and let rats come and eat me alive than face the chair. 2 months later I've got an appointment to go! I actually got so sick of having bad teeth, I started feeling frustration and hate towards myself for letting things go this far. So I emailed a dentist and said I'm desperate for understanding and caring dentist to help me with my extreme phobia. So I've got an appointment on tuesday, day before the Valentines day! So this year I'm not looking forward to Valentines day at all
This forum has been unbelievable help for me as well. I'm sure they have some magic powers they somehow send through the screen! So I know you'll find the courage to go and find a dentist that is going to be patient with you! Good luck! 
![Group Hug [smiley=grouphug.gif] [smiley=grouphug.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/grouphug.gif)
![Cheers [smiley=cheers.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/cheers.gif)