• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sherri
  • Start date Start date
S

Sherri

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
24
My new permanent Captek crown #19 needs to come off.
How can they remove the crown without damage to my root canal tooth.
This tooth had to be bonded to support the crown after another dentist filed it down to almost nothing.
The crown is a poor fit and rocks when I eat or put my tongue at the tooth.
Food gets trapped between teeth and I have Trigeminal Neualgia, that is more painful now since this crown is placed.
My dentist says the crown is good, the margins are sealed and that teeth do move. HUH???
Another dentist felt that he might damage my tooth.
I live with this pain everyday and need help.
If I could, I would remove the crown myself.
I have two other crowns and do not have this problem.
No one wants to help me or remove this crown.
Please help!
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

There are about 5 different devices to remove crowns, most dentists have their favourites. Usually they come off without damaging the underlying tooth.

The funny thing is, if this crown is moving then it will come off easily, once the cement is broken there's nothing holding the crown on any more, they fit teeth very loosely.
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

Gordon,
The dentist tried to remove the crown on two separate visits and could not get it off.
He said that the crown is not loose.
The crown rocks back and forth with the slightest effort and my gums hurt.
He said this has never happened before in his 25 years of practice.
The other dentist could not get the crown off as well.
What should I do?
I have two dentists the one who put the crown on and a second opinion.
My dentist tried to take the crown off and it would not come off.
Some cement is keeping the crown from coming off.
This whole thing makes no sense to me.
I have all the indications of a loose crown and the crown will not come off.
I believe what you say, but because the x-ray and sealed margins are what he is going by, I have to suffer.
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

If the crown couldn't be removed, then it isn't loose. Full stop. However, I would be very curious as to whether there is a high spot someplace on the crown that's causing it to be traumatised when you're chewing on it. I presume the dentist has checked this, but sometimes they can be hard to find.
This would cause a lot of your symptoms.
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

Gordon,
I went to a Prosthodonist for a third opinion.
He felt that the crown needed to be replaced.
The occulsion is too low, the mesial and distal at the gumline is open and at the gumline you can catch the bottom of the crown.
The floss also catches on the bottom as well.
The dentist who made this crown says that there is nothing wrong with the crown, but will refund my money minus lab costs.
He told me I do not know what I am talking about. The nerve.
I do not care what he sees, I am the one experiencing all these problems.
He is going to cut the crown off and put back my bad temporary crown.
Unfortunately, I cannot be prepped for the new crown for a month.
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

I don't see why you should be responsible for the lab costs either. I'd demand a full refund from the first guy.
Err who is going to cut the crown off and put the temp back on? Not the first guy again?
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed

Gordon,
Thank you for your response.
I had the crown #19 cut off Wednesday, by the first dentist.
This dentist told me that he has never removed a crown in his 25 years of practice.
I felt so much better once it was removed.
He tried to put on my old crown, but it did not fit.
The crown that was much smaller than the one that was cut off was now bigger.
I have no idea why that happened.
I ask him to make me a temporary, but said he could modify the old crown. He did a terrible job on his modification and I am in tears. This tooth is more like a flat, rough square box sitting on my tooth.
I cannot get into another dentist until next week and will not be prep for the new crown until 12-19-06.
The dentist still insists that there was nothing wrong with the crown. I told him, that if he had it in his mouth he wouldn't be saying that to me. I also told him that he should believe his patients.
He would not refund all my money and at this point I do not care.
He lost me as a patient and he would have made more money on myself and family than the lab fees.
His whole attitude was terrible and he played I'm the doctor bit and I know nothing.
Now I wait and I wish I could make my own temporary.

I have a toothache on the other side #30 of my mouth and cannot take care of that until tooth #19 is properly crowned. I'm sure that will be next year. I am now eating with my front teeth only.
When will this end................
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

I'd not have ventured back into dentist No 1's surgery at gunpoint, you're a lot braver than I am :-)
 
Re: Ill-Fitting Crown Needs To Be Removed .. How??

Gordon,
I went back to this dentist because I knew that he could remove the crown. There was no way I could find another dentist to do so on such short notice. The dentists in the US were off because of our Thanksgiving holiday.
I am still upset with this dentist, because he refused to believe that something was wrong with his crown. I feel so much better now that it has been removed. At the moment I am wearing a very uncomfortable temp.
It really is too bad that patients are not being heard.
Now I have to wait three more weeks to see another dentist.
I appreciate your response to my letters.
Thank you
 
Back
Top