• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm close to my end and don't know where to turn

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rj232
  • Start date Start date
R

Rj232

Junior member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
1
Hi all,

a little about myself, I am a musician and I suffer from severe panic/anxiety. I'm basically an agoraphobic and a hypochondriac. I fear almost any thing you can think of. The worst thing I fear is medication. I take nothing but Advil. Of course I am also afraid of the dentist. I am afraid to be put to sleep, I was once told that the dreams I have while being under because I'm so nervous will be the most intense nightmares ever! I probably do not have any teeth left to salvage. I have been able to hide my teeth for over ten years. I guess I have a low upper lip so no one notices. I am really self conscious about my looks. I consider myself a good looking guy ( never a problem getting noticed by the women :))

Anyways my bottom lower wisdom teeth have caused me pain, I have been able to deal with them with the help of Advil and mouthwash that will numb it. They are impacted so I keep being told I need put under for the procedure. I think I can handle it with just Novocain?? My other issue is I am extremely embarrassed by my teeth I don't want to show the dentist and of course the usually always pretty dental assistant lol. I am a clean person, I shower etc etc. I just let cavities go because my fear. If I can go back and change it trust me I would! My anxiety is untreated so my phobias are out of this world! I live day to day in fear of almost everything. In order for me to fix myself I need to fix my teeth first. I cancel everything because I worry about the pain etc etc. I even contemplated suicide cause I am having trouble dealing with everything. I fear dying so of course that's not a solution. I love my family and life, life is great when your happy! I just hardly have anxiety free time to be happy :shame:
 
Welcome to the forum RJ232!!! Many of us can relate to your fear of dentists and dental procedures. It is a serious issue and we know how bad it can make you feel. Please understand that there are plenty of us dental phobes out there and your dentist and assistant has probally seen it all. I remember commenting to my last hygienist on how pretty her teeth were, and I was a bit in awe and also envious. She pointed out her dental implant, and all the teeth that were "restored" by my dentist. So don't think that every person who works on your teeth has perfect teeth or a charmed dental life. Ask friends or search the internet for reviews on local dentists and then go see one. He/she can refer you to an oral surgeon to get your wisdom teeth out, and also fix your cavities.

There are so many of us who have been at the end of our rope and we are here for you. Please update us on your progress.
 
Hi all,

a little about myself, I am a musician and I suffer from severe panic/anxiety. I'm basically an agoraphobic and a hypochondriac. I fear almost any thing you can think of. The worst thing I fear is medication. I take nothing but Advil. Of course I am also afraid of the dentist. I am afraid to be put to sleep, I was once told that the dreams I have while being under because I'm so nervous will be the most intense nightmares ever! I probably do not have any teeth left to salvage. I have been able to hide my teeth for over ten years. I guess I have a low upper lip so no one notices. I am really self conscious about my looks. I consider myself a good looking guy ( never a problem getting noticed by the women :))

Anyways my bottom lower wisdom teeth have caused me pain, I have been able to deal with them with the help of Advil and mouthwash that will numb it. They are impacted so I keep being told I need put under for the procedure. I think I can handle it with just Novocain?? My other issue is I am extremely embarrassed by my teeth I don't want to show the dentist and of course the usually always pretty dental assistant lol. I am a clean person, I shower etc etc. I just let cavities go because my fear. If I can go back and change it trust me I would! My anxiety is untreated so my phobias are out of this world! I live day to day in fear of almost everything. In order for me to fix myself I need to fix my teeth first. I cancel everything because I worry about the pain etc etc. I even contemplated suicide cause I am having trouble dealing with everything. I fear dying so of course that's not a solution. I love my family and life, life is great when your happy! I just hardly have anxiety free time to be happy :shame:

Hi, I'm a dentist and I regularly see people who feel the way you do. It's really important that you don't think we will judge you. Having a phobia that stops you from visiting the dentist has no connection whatsoever with personal hygiene and no dentist should think badly of you.
The adice you were given about intense dreams or nightmares under sedation is not true - we often use sedation and no-one talks about bad dreams. Most folks remember little or nothing of the whole visit.
You should read back over your post - it sounds like you have avoided smiling for ten years! - no-one should have to go through that, just think how your life will grow when you smile again.
Please don't worry about sedation we've found it to be a huge benefit for anxious and phobic patients.
Best of luck
 
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, it's not any fun:( I can tell having sedation for a wisdom tooth removal is great, easy peasy. I too, was so nervous, I made myself sick but afterward it seemed silly to be so scared and I think it helps to let the dentist and assistants know you might be feeling upset, they see this all the time and a great dentist knows how to handle it. Mine were so reassuring and even gave me a warm blanket. The worst part was the IV which I was so scared of, I never even felt it and the next thing I knew, it was over and I came to in recovery all set to go home.
 
Were you bullied in school?
 
Back
Top