• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm FINALLY done and my phobia is GONE!

K

keikokeiko

I finally got my bottom wisdom teeth taken out this month and am officially done with wisdom teeth! The first one I took out back in 2014 was a really bad experience. I'm starting to think it was infected, because I couldn't get numb and felt everything. When I had a bottom molar out in 2019, my dentist explained my molar was infected and I had to take meds to kill the infection before she pulled it otherwise it would hurt... so yeah, eventually I stopped going to that first dentist lol. Also, like many, I had a lifelong phobia (I'm 31 now), but just taking things one step at a time built up my courage and comfort going to the dentist!

My biggest fear in the WORLD was getting my bottom teeth out because they were sideways and it just freaked me out for years. I finally decided to get it over with, but got them done one at a time. Kind of a funny story: I wanted to do both, but my dentist explained one of them could take up to 2 hours because one of the roots was curved, and he'd have to skip lunch lol I felt bad so we just did the left side that day. That one literally took 5 minutes! I went back a couple weeks later for the right side, and it ended up only being about 15 minutes. I was out of the office in 45 minutes, he was SO quick! EVERY single time I had fillings it would be at least an hour! ? The first one was not at all painful, I felt NOTHING. The second one being impacted I was anticipating pain, but it was like 2/10 at the most. The worst part was honestly the tugging I felt on my jaw due to my TMJ, so it was just uncomfortable for like 10 seconds. The dentist and assistant seemed amused at my tooth roots too for some reason lol. Oh, I also forgot to mention I was actually not at ALL nervous to get my wisdom teeth out at this point. I'd been going in so often for fillings, it was just another visit to me. Repetition truly does cure fear!

I still can't believe how easy it was.... and I'd been DREADING this for over 10 years! I also thought I HAD to do it unconscious, but I did it with just local and I was even holding back laughing from watching Futurama during the procedure lol WHO AM I??? ;)

I'm on day 4 from my surgery, and last night I woke up in pain so I took the stronger of my meds to knock me out. I woke up in pain again this morning, took more meds and ate, and I'm doing okay! Recovery has been the worst part, the pain being maybe a 6/10 at the worst. The first tooth I ate whatever I wanted, just chewed on the opposite side. This time I just ate soft foods, but it's hard to chew because I'm missing 2 teeth on my left side lol. Overall, not bad AT ALL, and I'm SO happy I'm FINALLY done!!!!

Congratulations that’s amazing. Sounds like you should be very very proud of yourself for getting though it and a huge weight of your mind. So well done!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences for others to see too ?

Thank you so much! If not for these forums I honestly don’t think I could’ve made it this far, I’m soooo grateful and wanted to share my testimony for so long in hopes it can encourage others too :hug4:

I finally got my bottom wisdom teeth taken out this month and am officially done with wisdom teeth! The first one I took out back in 2014 was a really bad experience. I'm starting to think it was infected, because I couldn't get numb and felt everything. When I had a bottom molar out in 2019, my dentist explained my molar was infected and I had to take meds to kill the infection before she pulled it otherwise it would hurt... so yeah, eventually I stopped going to that first dentist lol. Also, like many, I had a lifelong phobia (I'm 31 now), but just taking things one step at a time built up my courage and comfort going to the dentist!

My biggest fear in the WORLD was getting my bottom teeth out because they were sideways and it just freaked me out for years. I finally decided to get it over with, but got them done one at a time. Kind of a funny story: I wanted to do both, but my dentist explained one of them could take up to 2 hours because one of the roots was curved, and he'd have to skip lunch lol I felt bad so we just did the left side that day. That one literally took 5 minutes! I went back a couple weeks later for the right side, and it ended up only being about 15 minutes. I was out of the office in 45 minutes, he was SO quick! EVERY single time I had fillings it would be at least an hour! ? The first one was not at all painful, I felt NOTHING. The second one being impacted I was anticipating pain, but it was like 2/10 at the most. The worst part was honestly the tugging I felt on my jaw due to my TMJ, so it was just uncomfortable for like 10 seconds. The dentist and assistant seemed amused at my tooth roots too for some reason lol. Oh, I also forgot to mention I was actually not at ALL nervous to get my wisdom teeth out at this point. I'd been going in so often for fillings, it was just another visit to me. Repetition truly does cure fear!

I still can't believe how easy it was.... and I'd been DREADING this for over 10 years! I also thought I HAD to do it unconscious, but I did it with just local and I was even holding back laughing from watching Futurama during the procedure lol WHO AM I??? ;)

I'm on day 4 from my surgery, and last night I woke up in pain so I took the stronger of my meds to knock me out. I woke up in pain again this morning, took more meds and ate, and I'm doing okay! Recovery has been the worst part, the pain being maybe a 6/10 at the worst. The first tooth I ate whatever I wanted, just chewed on the opposite side. This time I just ate soft foods, but it's hard to chew because I'm missing 2 teeth on my left side lol. Overall, not bad AT ALL, and I'm SO happy I'm FINALLY done!!!!
Congrats! Im proud of you. ?
Im getting 3 removed tmrrw, Im terrified of dentists, serious ptsd. I will be put under I hope 3 come out easy and recovery goes well.

Best of luck for tomorrow (today?), Sweetleef ? . Wishing you a smooth appointment and recovery!

Best of luck for tomorrow (today?), Sweetleef ? . Wishing you a smooth appointment and recovery!
Oh thank you so much :) ! My appt is today 1m, I already have so much anxiety, this forum is so helpful as I read stories of people with the same fears as I have but had positive experiences. I am looking forward to adding my success story.

Thank you for your reply and support

Looking forward to reading you success story!

Im so happy to have a succes story!
The procedure went very well, anesthesia kicked in quick and 3 wisdom out with no stitches. Minimal pain right now. Im thankfiul. This forum gave me courage ?

The procedure went very well, anesthesia kicked in quick and 3 wisdom out with no stitches. Minimal pain right now. Im thankfiul. This forum gave me courage ?

Wow, fantastic that’s amazing. so pleased to here how well it went. And the minimal pain now. Great experience to share with others! You mus be so proud of yourself as you should be. Thank you for updating us.

That's wonderful news! Well done ?. Congratulations and thanks so much for the update ?!

Awesome job! You did it!!! Sooo proud of you to face your fears and now it's done!

Back