• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i'm not afraid of dentists - i'm terrified of medications.

Having all of my teeth pulled definitely was a big hurdle on my mental health front, but mine were much, much worse than yours are. I left it until I simply had no other choice, so afterward, I kept telling myself that I'd had no choice (which I really hadn't). I won't lie, because even now, about 6 years later, I still have to force myself to NOT think about my lack of real teeth, and have occasional struggles with that.

So, and of great import here, I will say that you must do absolutely everything possible to not go the full denture route. I'm really glad that I did, but I left it until there was no way to live with what was left of my crumbly, solid-but-unstable, infected, and painful natural teeth.

@LittleLynnie I can completely understand that. And so happy to hear that you went the route you did, which was best for you. Do you feel better with all of them out now? Like actual health wise?

@fearfulteefies I hope you find a solution I'm sure you do lots of research, it's very unfortunate that lots people don't understand and get it our fears and anxiety about curtain situations it's not like we choice to be like that or there's a switch we can turn off in our brains but know that you're not alone!! 🙏 🙏

@LittleLynnie I can completely understand that. And so happy to hear that you went the route you did, which was best for you. Do you feel better with all of them out now? Like actual health wise?
I feel better now because I can smile without covering my mouth, and chew better with the false teeth. Health-wise though, I don't think that my infections had much of an impact, because they were treated with antibiotics if they became too bad. I am rid of the worry about systemic infection though, and it's always nice to only have other things to worry about now, lol.

@fearfulteefies I got an implant, the way I dealt with it, which might work for you too if you end up wanting those, is to research the statistics for how often they suceed. They have a very high success rate, statistically, so they do go wrong, but not most of the time. The same with root canal sucess, I would research the numbers. People talk about it when treatment goes wrong, but usually say nothing if it goes well. I read an article by CNN called "Bad Teeth? Blame your genes." which explains that about 60% of teeth decay is genetic because of enamel strength and differences in saliva, tasting, and oral bacteria, so yes, if some people have it in a family, others are likely too also. I hope things get better for you!

Back