• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant supported bridges to replace traditional failing bridges

G

Gems

Junior member
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
3
Location
London
This is very specific but I’m wondering if there are any people (especially female) aged around 40s in the Herts area that have had any similar experiences as myself and can offer some support/advice/dentist recommendations.

I have a full mouth of traditional dental bridges - two on the bottom which are now 20 years old and two on the top which are 16 years old. They don’t look awful but are now starting (over the last 3-4 years) to cause persistent issues with infections etc and are essentially failing due to issues with anchor teeth.

My bridge fitting experience 16 years ago was horrific - the swelling and bruising made me unrecognizable and the pain meant I couldnt even sip water for weeks - I lost stones in weight and never left my house! I went back and they eventually redid them admitting they’d left nerves exposed! It was truly terrifying and upsetting and I’ve been petrified and untrusting ever since.

I know I can’t keep putting my health at risk now and need to address my teeth issues once again (a lifelong upset) with implant solutions now. My questions to anyone who has been through something similar is:

1) do you have dentist recommendations especially for hugely nervous patients and would you recommend being put out?
2) how likely am I to have bone loss and therefore require grafting but also sinus lifts which have been mentioned and honestly how painful are these procedures?
3) how long are implant supported bridges honestly likely to last or will I be facing these issues every decade for the rest of my life?
4) what are likely costs in uk - I would have to finance everything with no savings to contribute but am scared to go abroad alone and have this tackled.

I know this is a lot but I’m desperate for some support and someone to talk me through it who is on the other side of this journey. To say that this is taking over my life is an understatement. I feel a financial drain on my beautiful family who I’ll be forever holding back financing this but also feel a freak/embarrassed and ugly and dread what this will look like in any healing phase - I could not conduct myself at work or generally with no teeth for any period of time. This is all because of a hereditary lack of adult teeth and no lack of oral care and hygiene. I feel so so seriously depressed by this not helped by the fact I’m sick again with yet another dental infection.

Thank you to anyone reading who can understand and over any words.
 
Back
Top