• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Indentation and is it normal?

J

JPeterson

Hello all,

I’ll try to make this brief. I’m not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me due to fear and serious lack of sleep or if I have a problem here.

Backstory:
June 2010: took direct hit from softball...saved all the teeth
April 2018: routine check up with xrays...abscess in left front tooth of bottom jaw...no pain or symptoms
3 weeks later: new younger dentist because the other one traumatized me as a child...root canal and crown...no issues
August 2018: tooth is a little loose but I ignore it
December 2018: mention it to hygienist...abscess still present but hasn’t gotten worse...referred to endo
February 2019: endo appointment...diagnosed as incomplete root canal
April 2019: second root canal and correction of the first because a piece was missed

I go for my follow up with the endo next Wednesday. I’ll find out if an apicoectomy is in my very near future.

I’ve been EXTREMELY anxious about this appointment and I’m mentally and emotionally drained because this seems to be never ending and I need it to stop. I need a break.

The tooth for the most part doesn’t move anymore and only very very slightly moves if I’m late brushing my teeth. I have never had any hint of pain during this entire thing.

Lately I’ve noticed an indentation on the back of my jaw, in the center (between the root canal tooth and the one next to it as well as in the center from top to bottom), and the tip of my tongue rests perfectly above it.

Is my mind playing tricks on me and this indentation is normal or is this the abscess and it’s getting worse?

I’m almost to the point I’m non-functional from lack of sleep as I’ve had about 3 hours in 2 days. The rest of the time has been spent alternating between a full blown panic attack, shaking and crying, and googling whether this is normal or if I’m in trouble. Please help.

I have an indentation there as well. I never noticed it until you said that, and I checked. So maybe that is normal?

I actually had the same issue with my front upper right tooth. I got hit in the tooth as a child, and it abscessed later (with no pain until the abscess got big). I actually went to the dentist because of the pain, although it wasn't major, just pressure pain when I bit with the tooth. I had a root canal (that was complete and done well), but the tooth still had pain when pressure was applied. So I had an apicoectomy, and the infection was still there. My abscess was huge, though. My tooth is slightly loose. I am now getting the tooth extracted and getting an implant.

I have an indentation there as well. I never noticed it until you said that, and I checked. So maybe that is normal?

I actually had the same issue with my front upper right tooth. I got hit in the tooth as a child, and it abscessed later (with no pain until the abscess got big). I actually went to the dentist because of the pain, although it wasn't major, just pressure pain when I bit with the tooth. I had a root canal (that was complete and done well), but the tooth still had pain when pressure was applied. So I had an apicoectomy, and the infection was still there. My abscess was huge, though. My tooth is slightly loose. I am now getting the tooth extracted and getting an implant.
Thank you soooo much! Just because I’m losing my mind at the moment I need to make sure we’re talking about the same indent. From the top of the teeth to the bottom of the jaw it’s right in the middle correct? It’s not the indents at the bottom of the jaw. Like dead smack in the middle center? Sorry. I just need to know.

Can you tell me more about your apico experience and why you’re now having it pulled and implanted?

I also just checked and have the indentation - all my front teeth are “virgin”. I think the jawbone is in fact two joined up bits of bone, and that indentation is the midpoint, but am not a dentist so that might be rubbish!

I also just checked and have the indentation - all my front teeth are “virgin”. I think the jawbone is in fact two joined up bits of bone, and that indentation is the midpoint, but am not a dentist so that might be rubbish!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

You truly are an angel. I’m praying so hard that’s all it is rather than what my mind is telling me. Now I just need to get through my anxiety and make it until Wednesday.

Good luck! (I can’t keep my tongue off the indentation now!)

Thank you soooo much! Just because I’m losing my mind at the moment I need to make sure we’re talking about the same indent. From the top of the teeth to the bottom of the jaw it’s right in the middle correct? It’s not the indents at the bottom of the jaw. Like dead smack in the middle center? Sorry. I just need to know.

Can you tell me more about your apico experience and why you’re now having it pulled and implanted?

Yep, just like Judy said. I looked it up as well. Completely normal.

The apico wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Usually that would take care of the issue. My abscess was really big, and it kind of curved back over the palate in the roof of my mouth. So there apparently was infection that the endodontist couldn't get to. That is why I am getting it out. The surgeon will go in and scrape out infection and do bone grafting.

The apico procedure is actually not as bad as the root canal, as there is not all the tugging and pulling. The smell is hard to take, as it isna burning smell, but I have tons of anxiety with dental surgeries and procedures, and usually get nitrous. With the apico, I couldn't have nitrous because of the position where she was working, and I made it through with just local.

The recovery is a lot harder than with a root canal, and it took a couple weeks before I felt normal again, but it wasn't really painful as much as awkward. It made it hard to talk because I couldn't move my upper lip. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about it, though. Whatever you do, do NOT google it. I made that mistake, and it looks so much worse than what it feels like.

Yep, just like Judy said. I looked it up as well. Completely normal.

The apico wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Usually that would take care of the issue. My abscess was really big, and it kind of curved back over the palate in the roof of my mouth. So there apparently was infection that the endodontist couldn't get to. That is why I am getting it out. The surgeon will go in and scrape out infection and do bone grafting.

The apico procedure is actually not as bad as the root canal, as there is not all the tugging and pulling. The smell is hard to take, as it isna burning smell, but I have tons of anxiety with dental surgeries and procedures, and usually get nitrous. With the apico, I couldn't have nitrous because of the position where she was working, and I made it through with just local.

The recovery is a lot harder than with a root canal, and it took a couple weeks before I felt normal again, but it wasn't really painful as much as awkward. It made it hard to talk because I couldn't move my upper lip. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about it, though. Whatever you do, do NOT google it. I made that mistake, and it looks so much worse than what it feels like.
Oh I’ve googled it. Oh boy have I googled it. It’s the stuff of nightmares. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely LOVE you and Judy. You two are both truly angels. I’m gonna see how Wednesday goes but if it’s “that news” I will definitely be asking you all sorts of questions! Thank you so much. So so much.

Oh I’ve googled it. Oh boy have I googled it. It’s the stuff of nightmares. I cannot tell you how much I absolutely LOVE you and Judy. You two are both truly angels. I’m gonna see how Wednesday goes but if it’s “that news” I will definitely be asking you all sorts of questions! Thank you so much. So so much.

Good luck! I hope you don't have to have it, but if you do, feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Back