• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection spreading? Should I see dentist again today?

M

Mands

On Thursday morning I had a front tooth extracted, and immediate partial denture placed. Saturday afternoon I had to see an emergency dentist because of an infection. I have a wound on the front of the gum which I assume goes through to the socket. Emergency dentist said the gum was breaking down, he cut away some dead tissue, packed the socket with a dressing, and gave me Metrodizanole 200mg 3 times a day for 3 days. I have been keeping the area clean, and rinsing regularly with corsodyl, and taking the medication. Today, it looks and feels as if the infection is still spreading, the gum above the tooth next to the extracted one looks nasty and inflamed.

My questions are, should I try to see my own dentist today, or have I not given it enough time? Is it normal for infection to still be spreading on the 3rd day of antibiotics? Is it normal to be prescribed such a short course? 3 days does not seem much. I'm worried because I have diabetes, and out of control infections are not a good idea. My diabetes is well controlled though.

Do see your dentist today if you are in any doubt whatsoever! (better safe than sorry etc., plus I would think it's important that he sees what's been going on). Good luck and keep us posted :hug5:

typically it takes 48 hours of antibiotics to effect a change

typically it takes 48 hours of antibiotics to effect a change

Thanks for your response. Is it usual for it to spread and get worse before it gets better though? It's been about 44 hours since I started the antibiotics, and I only have 4 more pills left to take, since I was only prescribed a 3 day supply, is that normal? Sorry for all the questions.

Do see your dentist today if you are in any doubt whatsoever! (better safe than sorry etc., plus I would think it's important that he sees what's been going on). Good luck and keep us posted :hug5:

Thanks for your reply. I took your advice and did call yesterday, my own dentist was not there. The nurse said I could see someone else if I was worried, but she thought the antibiotics needed a little more time. I decided to give it another day. Had a rough shift at work last night, pain was getting worse, and I ended up finishing early. I've just got back from seeing my own dentist, they saw me within half an hour of me calling, pretty impressive :)
He said there's still a lot of inflammation around the bone and the socket, and some infection. He's given me another 5 days of Metrodizanole, at 4 times a day instead of 3, and added Amoxicillin as well. Hopefully that should kick it into touch. Thanks for your support :)

Glad to hear you were able to see your dentist today - I hope you will heal quickly now :grouphug:

Thanks for the update!

Back