• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Insert Catchy Title Here (aka here we go again...)

  • Thread starter Thread starter FearfulInMA
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Tem! 1 more work day to go. Then I'm off on Friday will run some errands and then a road trip to Connecticut and a race on Saturday. Sunday should be a relatively quiet day and then my appointment is on Monday.

The toothache seems to start out fine in the morning and then gets worse as the days goes on. It's pretty bad right now so I hope I can sleep tonight. I'm also just really anxious about what the dentist is going to say about the tooth :-(

Thanks again to all of you for all of your support!
 
Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight...especially with your trip and race coming up! Having Friday off will be good and you've got plenty of fun stuff to do before Monday. Hard as it is, try not to borrow trouble with regards to the what if's with the tooth....may not need a root canal at all...I know it is hard not to "go there" especially when you are up in the middle of the night. Hopefully that won't be the case and you'll get some rest. Things always seem better after you've gotten some sleep.
 
Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight...especially with your trip and race coming up! Having Friday off will be good and you've got plenty of fun stuff to do before Monday. Hard as it is, try not to borrow trouble with regards to the what if's with the tooth....may not need a root canal at all...I know it is hard not to "go there" especially when you are up in the middle of the night. Hopefully that won't be the case and you'll get some rest. Things always seem better after you've gotten some sleep.


Wise words!

Argh, fear and pain in the middle of the night is so terrible - I can make it happen by worrying that it's going to happen because I'm so scared of it happening because when it does ... it is soooo hideous. Yay me!!
 
Made it through my work week! Today the tooth pain wasn't quite as bad -- maybe that's because I didn't eat a lot of food that I really had to chew, but I know that I probably should still say something when I go for my appointment (though I'm tempted not to). Now just have to make it through the long weekend. Really looking forward to tomorrow and Saturday. I will be busy on Sunday too. Coming down the home stretch :-)
 
So errands tomorrow and trip Saturday....then race? That will be fun stuff!! Pace yourself....it will take Monday longer to get here. Enjoy your fun weekend. Sending calming thoughts to that sassy tooth of yours, hoping it lays low over your weekend and makes an appearance on cue for your dentist on Monday. Yes, you need to tell him.
 
Thanks Mugz! Yes, I have quite a busy few days ahead of me with some really fun stuff planned. Really hoping that my tooth doesn't bother me too much during the race -- otherwise it will be a very long 13.1 miles :-(

I will definitely be thinking about you on Monday and will know that you are right there 'with' me for me appointment!
 
Quick update:

Race is done and I made a nice new friend along the way! Tooth is hurting more today which is, of course, making me quite anxious. I was really hoping that the tooth would just settle itself down, but no luck so far.

More running and some errands tomorrow. On Monday, I will probably try to go to the gym or get a run in before my 10AM appointment.
 
Good going! I hope that tooth lets you get some rest tonight and that the appointment goes swiftly for you. I also hope there's some comforting and rewarding things on an 'After the Appointment' list...?
Truly wishing you all the best until this is behind you.
 
Thanks Tem!

I did another run today and even drinking water during the run made my tooth hurt. I've been lucky that it hasn't been bothering me at night enough that it's stopped me from being able to sleep. I know that I will not have any resolution to the problem after my appointment tomorrow because that appointment is just for a cleaning -- I will only possibly have more appointments or a 'wait and see' if it gets better on its own.

As for after my appointment, I took the day off from work. I have plans to see a couple of friends later in the day, so that should be good. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my mind off of things by watching some TV. I've been doing pretty well so far to manage anxiety, but I'm guessing that tomorrow morning I will be quite a mess.

I will post back here tomorrow to update folks about how it went.
 
Good luck for tomorrow :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:
 
So here's the full update:

Headed to the appointment this morning with a sneaking suspicion that my dentist would not be there even though I was told he would be back from leave today. When I got there, the office manager confirmed my suspicion. I was annoyed because I had specifically said that I wanted to wait for my appointment until the dentist was back. But then the office manage asked me if I was having any trouble with my teeth -- when I told her that I was I think she realized why I wanted to make sure the dentist was there for my appointment. So, not really her fault since she didn't know. I'm still a little frustrated because now I need to take more time of my from work and have anxiety leading up to another appointment.

As for the cleaning appointment itself, it was one of the most painful I can remember. I've seen this hygienist before and she's always been good. This time though, I told her about the problem with my crowned tooth and also about some gum soreness I was having elsewhere in my mouth. I understand that he was really trying to clean both of those areas really well, but it was so horribly painful that tears were rolling down my face. Then she put some sort of 'desensitizing agent' on those areas which was supposed to make them feel better, but only made them worse. At one point she tried to dry off the crowned tooth with air and it hurt so badly that my leg came up off the chair and slammed back down -- I was so embarrassed about that as I am usually quite outwardly calm in The Chair. After all of that, she wanted to try to put some other treatment in my teeth for sensitivity, but at that point I just couldn't take any more. Maybe I should have let her, but I was honestly feeling so traumatized already (not trying to be dramatic, but I felt myself regressing back into dental terror as the minutes passed) and I was in agony. I just couldn't tolerate even 1 more minute.

The only good news is that the hygienist thinks that the crowned tooth may just need a bite adjustment. I'm not so convinced, but would be thrilled if that's all it takes.

The dentist is now scheduled to come back next Wednesday and I have an appointment for next Thursday at 9AM. In worried that they will not tell me if my dentist is not back and that I may show up and be scheduled I see the covering dentist. Maybe I will call next Tuesday or Wednesday just to be sure. The anxiety of all of the unknowns is sometimes the hardest part. And, my mouth is still super sore from the torture session this morning.

Definitely not one if the best dental visits I've had in recent years... We'll see how next week goes -- if it even happens.

I ended up buying and sending a get well card to the dentist (I've been thinking about it for a whole, but I figured better late than never, right?). I'm hoping he doesn't think it's too cheesy I do that. I asked the office manager if he'd been getting a lot of get well cards and she said he hadn't. She seemed to think sending one would be an ok idea, so I hope it was.
 
Last edited:
As I've started to really process what happened today at my appointment, I'm realizing that I feel totally retraumatized. The hygienist continued to do things to my teeth and gums even after I told her how horribly painful it was. And then continued to try to apply some sort of desensitizing agent even after I told her how much it was hurting when she was doing it. It seemed like she could have just stopped right there and just said we could try again another time or realized that maybe I needed to be numb in order to tolerate it. Of course I'm mad at myself for not stopping her -- because I should have stopped her before I did. I remember the few cleanings that I had as a child being horrible painful because we almost never went so there was always so much tarter to scrape away. But, since I started going regularly, I've always been anxious about cleanings, but they've never been painful like this.

I want to say something to the dentist when I see him next week because he knows how far I've come and also that I'm not a big baby when it comes to these things. I just think I want him to help me make sure that this doesn't happen again. He's always so good about making sure that I'm never in any pain that I would be surprised if he didn't offer up some sort of supportive feedback. I'm not sure that I will say anything though because part of me feels like it's my fault that I wasn't assertive enough to make her stop before she did... we'll see.

Anyone have any thoughts about any of this?
 
Hi we cannot always be as assertive as we want to be when we are in the chair. I hope you do mention it to your dentist as he may be able to have a friendly word and recommend you are numbed next time. Hygienists are not always know to be sensitive towards nervous patients and could learn a lot form dentist and how they deal with fears and phobias. It isn't much to just numb you up a bit.
Hopefully next time you could speak before she starts and explain that it is a fear of yours, there is no reason why you should feel discomfort.

I hate cleanings too because like you memories of scrapping etc... have left me dreading them, but my last two dentists did no scraping but used a water kind of thingy and they are brilliant they can use less pressure where you feel a bit sensitive so no pain or anything.

Well done for sitting through it :claps::claps::claps::whirl::butterfly:
 
Thanks Carol. It's difficult because I really do like this hygienist. I have had others use the water thing before and I actually find it way worse because my teeth are so sensative. I don't mind the scraping, just the pain. I just felt like she didn't really get how much pain I was in despite me telling her multiple times. She's on the younger side, so maybe she just hasn't realized that, with anxious patients (she does know I am anxious), that it may be better to just stop rather than feeling like she has to do everything she would normally do. I'm usually totally ok for cleanings, but because I was already having pain, the pain was only made worse.

Now I'm also worried about my appointment next week. It's for a 'bite adjustment' on the crown. I noticed that it's only scheduled for 10 minutes. I'm sure that normally it can be done without anesthetic and is probably painless. However, after my experience yesterday I feel almost back to square one when it comes I my fear of pain and not being able to stop it. As much as I am terrified of needles, I think I would much prefer to be numb if the dentist is coming anywhere near my teeth (especially this one). At this point, I just feel like I've lost so much if what I had accomplished in terms of managing my fear. I think if I have to endure another painful appointment that may just set me over the edge. I'm worried that, like yesterday, even air or water will send me nearly flying out of the chair.

Have any of you ever had a bite adjustment? Did you feel anything? Were you numb? Was it a tooth that was already bothering you?

I'm a mess about all of this ...
 
It will be fine, I have had a bite adjustment and you won't believe how quick and painless it is. It sounds like it is something big but it isn't. All they do is to gently rub the crown to rub the high bit down, they do use a drill bit but it takes a couple of seconds at a time then they use a bit of black paper stuff that you bite down on until it is corrected. I wasn't numbed and felt nothing. If you have had trouble with the tooth aching it is probably caused by the bite being out and will instantly be cured.

Before I had it done I would not have believed that your bite being out could cause the pain I felt. You will kick yourself tomorrow when you come out of the dentist.

Do explain about the cleaning to the dentist and say it has left you feeling nervous and a bit worked up about the appointment with him and let him put your mind to rest he sounds lovely and I am sure you are going to be fine.

Let us know how you get on Good luck :clover::clover::clover: but you won't need it :friends::hug5::hug5::hug5::butterfly:
 
Thanks again Carol. My appointment isn't until 10/9 as my dentist is not back from leave until the 8th, but I will update folks after it's over.
 
OMG Fearful

What a truley horrific appt. I felt traumatised just reading it....poor you......I always get numbed for cleanings. I can still feel it a bit. It just takes the edge off. I would let the dentist know about that experience.

How kind to send a get well card.....

I hope you treat yourself to something nice for getting through that appt.

Miss P
 
Hi Fearful

Carole is right, having the bite off can cause immense pain/discomfort, I've experienced this before and the relief after adjustment is incredible, it was also totally pain free and didn't require a local anaesthetic.

hope all goes well:clover::clover:

Kind Regards
 
Hi Fearful

Carole is right, having the bite off can cause immense pain/discomfort, I've experienced this before and the relief after adjustment is incredible, it was also totally pain free and didn't require a local anaesthetic.

hope all goes well:clover::clover:

Kind Regards
 
Thank you Spike and Miss P!

It's so nice to know that there are people out there who understand why this is so difficult for me. People who don't have this type of fear really just don't get it. Since yesterday, I've really been finding myself sinking further and further back into the intense fear that kept me from going to the dentist for so many years. I know that I shouldn't let one appointment do this to me and I hate that this is happening. I know that I will go to my appointment next week, but really need for it to go well because I do feel so close to returning to the dental oblivion from which I came.

Miss P. -- I did decide to engage in some shop therapy after my appointment yesterday :-). I will be thinking about you tomorrow and hope that you also do something nice for yourself!
 
Back
Top