• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Insert Catchy Title Here (aka here we go again...)

  • Thread starter Thread starter FearfulInMA
  • Start date Start date
Fearfu,l, I know that I should have written on your thread by now, but at least I have a few minutes to do it!
I am sorry that your appointment was sub par to say the least. I would definitely tell your dentist about today's appointment so he can have a chat with they hygienist. There is no reason for cleanings being painful.

You are brave and you are awesome. You can do this!
 
Thanks girl. Never any need to apologize for not responding to all of my ridiculous anxiety-ridden posts. We've all got stuff going on that is hopefully way more exciting that this forum :-). And, I know you've got a busy CollegeBound life -- oh to be young again :-).

I really like this hygienist, so I'm hesitant to say anything. I probably will have to say something though about why I'm so much more anxious than my usual level of anxiety -- the dentist will definitely notice that the the person in The Chair is the one he met more than 6 yrs ago and not the one he knows now. But, I may say more about my lack of ability to ask her to stop than about me wishing she would have just stopped. Because I do feel like it's as much my responsibility as it is hers.

Anyway... I need to stop beating myself up about this and I need to try to get some sleep tonight. I've not been sleeping well :-(

Hang in there!
 
Hey, Fearful. I'm sorry with all my crazyness over dentist stuff I haven't replied to your thread. I hope you're feeling better and were able to get some sleep. I know how hard anxiety is and you were really brave to get through what you did:hug:
 
neeniekitten -- Please don't apologize! You've been though quite an incredible ordeal.

I just wanted to post a little update. Yesterday was a rough day -- my tooth was really bothering me. Today has been better, but probably because I've been taking lots of tylenol and advil for some other pain I've been having. Today I also got the text message from the dentist's office confirming my appointment for next week.

Some of you know I like to make lists of what I have to do between now and my appointment -- so here's an updated list:

4 work days
2 shifts for my 2nd job Saturday overnight and Monday evening
1 day of fasting for Yom Kippur Saturday
1 long run (~8 miles) Sunday
waiting to hear about a possible job interview (will hopefully hear tomorrow)

I also think that I will call or the dentist's office on Tuesday to make sure that the dentist will be back in the office. I will postpone the appointment if he's still not back from medical leave. I'm thinking that this is a real possibility. As long as I'm not in agony, I will wait until my dentist returns in order to get my tooth taken care of. I know it's crazy, but I'm really just feeling so close to never going back to the dentist again, that I really need to make sure that my next appointment goes well.

Thanks everyone for continuing to 'listen' to me go on and on with my anxious ramblings.
 
Considering that you are one of the people that I look up to, I certainly hope that you won't run away after one bad experience. You have come so far, and it would be a shame to see you return to dental hermit status. I know that you can do this, even if that means waiting for your dentist to return. :respect:
 
"Anxious Ramblings" is what this board is here for. "Support' of the fear or questions or concerns or experiences behind the ramblings would be the other reason. No thanks or apologies needed!

Looks like you have thought things through and are as "prepared" as you can be for either contingency. If he is there you go. If not you reschedule. While you wait you make your list, check things off as you go and post as needed!!!

Hoping your tooth behaves and doesn't act up between now and the time you see your dentist. I know the wait is agony...emotionally taxing. Adding pain to the mix makes it worse. BUT keep your eye on the prize, seeing your dentist and a simple solution that will offer immediate relief....all of this next week....fingers crossed for next week anyway.
 
Considering that you are one of the people that I look up to, I certainly hope that you won't run away after one bad experience.

Thanks for this CB -- it's good for me to remember that I need to do this to be a good role model for others. And, I might have to steal "dental hermit status" from you. I usually refer to it as "dental oblivion", but I think I like hermit status better :-)

Mugz -- thanks as always for the support and for not tiring of my ramblings :-)

30 minutes to go of my overnight shift (the first of the second job shifts on my list). The tooth pain was really bad yesterday and it was difficult to get to sleep last night before my shift. I was also doing battle with a mouse in my house, but that's a whole other story! When I woke up, the pain was better and this has been the pattern with this particular toothache -- it gets worse as the day goes on. Today is Yom Kippur, so I will be fasting until sundown which I'm hoping will keep the toothache somewhat at bay today (at least until I eat myself silly tonight)

So, after today:
8 mile run
3 more work days
1 more 2nd job shift
still waiting to hear about the job interview

I should also add to this list that I will plan to call the dentist's office in Tuesday to confirm that he will be there for my appointment on Thursday -- this is probably what's causing me the most anxiety right now.

Hope you all are able to enjoy some of the weekend!
 
Hi Fearful!
Uh oh....mice. Yikes! Cute little things anyplace other than your house.
So you mentioned having a bad night the other night...how are you feeling today? Better? Worse? It is the end of the day so if keeping true to your pain patterns I'd guess you're popping the advil or Tylenol right about now. Hopefully not but I fear that is the way it goes the closer appointment time gets. My theory is sometimes it has to be that way for those of us really afraid. The pain has to override the fear to give you the extra push to get there...at least for me. Maybe give your office a call in the morning and see if your doc is for sure back this week. Maybe they could get you in sooner than Thursday if you are miserable...especially because it is really like you've been waiting extra long since he was out for your cleaning when you were expecting his return. Right? Maybe worth a phone call to see.
Hope you can get some rest tonight and the tooth gives you a break for a spell.
 
Thanks Mugz.

Pain again tonight. I'm trying not to take anything -- I can't take ibuprofen because of GI issues and tylenol doesn't do a whole lot of good. I know that the dentist won't be back until at least Wednesday and he doesn't have any open appointment times that day which is why my appointment is Thursday. I really hope that he's actually back then because I really don't know how much longer I can manage this pain -- I can't imagine how you've managed for months!

Long run done, now just work, work, work until Thursday. Tomorrow is a 16hr day for me and then 2 regular work days after that. Tuesday I will try to call or email the dentist's office to make sure that the dentist will be back for Thursday. Fingers crossed for that because as much as I hate going, I need to get this pain dealt with and I just don't think I can bring myself to see a different dentist at this point.
 
Hi Fearful!
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed your phone call tomorrow gives you good news that your doc will in fact be back on Thursday! So hard waiting, isn't it? The hardest part..well, one of the hardest parts for sure.

Sorry you had more pain with that dang tooth acting up. Wish there was something you could take that wouldn't upset your stomach too....I know the last thing you need is THAT on top of tooth pain. I understand why you want to wait for your dentist and don't blame you a bit. I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes. Stay strong, a few more days and hopefully you will be in hands you trust to help you feel better. (((((Fearful))))) healing hugs to you for a restful night for a change.
 
Starting to freak out about calling tomorrow to confirm that the dentist will be back for my appointment on Thursday. Making matters worse is that, if it does get postponed, I may have to postpone it until the week after next because I may have to travel for work next week. UGH!

Anyone want to take bets on whether my appointment will get postponed? I'm giving it 75% chance of being postponed :-(
 
I think you hit the nail on the head brilliantly when you described your last appointment as being traumatized all over again. I had been doing quite well in this dental journey until my last appointment, which was incredibly upsetting, and now here it is three months later and I have yet summoned the courage to go back and finish what needs to be done.

It's such a shame this happens to us of all people...the dental phobes~

:clover:
 
Update: dentist is back from leave and I have confirmed my appointment. Don't know whether to be happy, terrified, or both. Right now just feeling overwhelming anxiety, but glad I called to find out.

48 hrs to go...
 
At least you will be with someone who knows you! You can do it! Where is your list?
 
Yes, happy my dentist is back. Otherwise I would have had to wait in pain even longer.

Lol about the list. Updated list:

2 more work days (including today)
Dinner tonight with coworkers

Not much left which, in and of itself, is a bit scary.
 
Hey Fearful

Just wanna say hugs for ur upcoming appt.....hope all goes well.

Love the idea of lists....does getting to the bottom and D appt freak you out or does it help?

Might try that one myself.

:hug5::hug5::hug5:
Miss P
 
Here is my list until the Gallbladder comes out ( Just a side note, my BFF named it Gretchen and named my appendix Austin. :) Love her soooooo much!)


Homework tonight (stuff for my speech class)
16 meals
Snacks (eating Doritios right now :) )
Psychology
Public Speaking
Math
4 public transit rides
Yard sale on Saturday
Help my mom with a wedding cake


Lots to do. Thank goodness!

You've got it Fearful! And everyone, write encouragement on Mugz's thread tonight or send her a PM. She has 2 appointments tomorrow, one being a RCT. Sending love Mugz!
 
Miss P -- the lists help me for 2 reasons. The first is that for me the anxiety leading up to the appointments is the worst part. More often than not, I'm actually somewhat less anxious once I'm in The Chair and the dentist has started to work on my teeth. The second (and probably bigger) reason that the lists are helpful is because it helps me to count down all of the hard things that I need to keep my sh*t together for prior to my appointment. So, when I leave work tomorrow and the last thing is checked off of my list, I will breath a HUGE sigh of relief that I don't need to keep it together any more and I can totally freak out if I need to. Since I've been a wreck (internally) for the last couple of days -- including serious stomach issues due to the anxiety -- I will probably spend tomorrow evening watching television and totally zoning out until I hopefully fall asleep. I'll try to sleep later than usual on Thursday morning so that I don't have too much time awake to stress out before my appointment.

CB -- nice list! Glad to see my list making is catching on :-). Looking forward to updates as the date gets closer. And yes, sending all sorts of support to Mugz!
 
Hi Fearful!

DOUBLE YAY!!! Yay that you called and bigger YAY that YOUR DENTIST IS BAAACCK!
That is just what you need and right when you needed it...I'm so glad you called and that he is back, just as your tooth is giving you grief and you need him. I'm sorry - I don't even know if that makes sense. I'm a mess. I am happy for you, though...and proud of you for facing the phone-bia....calling offices is so hard. One challenge down!

I know it is a double-edged sword....wanting help and not wanting to need it/fearing getting it at the same time. I just have to say I think it is awesome that you waited for him and know that it is going to be really hard for you to push through the trauma and let him take a look and help you on Thursday but it will be worth it...take it from me. If there is one lesson that can be learned from my fearfest let it be this....don't wait...especially on a bite adjustment. Had I called the endodontist the Monday they suggested following my first root canal on this tooth for a bite adjustment, maybe....just maybe....the last 15 weeks could have been avoided. Granted they should not tell phobic patients "you probably need a bite adjustment and he has to drill it down - just so you know the drill is involved because we know you don't like it." However, I was the one that was too afraid to call because of that and put up with throbbing for what will be 15 weeks tomorrow. SO GO!!!! Even if there is more to be done, you won't know unless you let him look. It really doesn't hurt....I promise. I hated it...but I have PTSDDD. "Put That Stupid Drill Down Damnit" Disorder.

Thanks for the tremendous support for tomorrow. I am still hanging on a sliver of hope I will figure a way out of it before the event begins at 12:30pm. You never know...stranger things have happened. I have to tell myself that or I will lose it - and it is too early to lose it.
 
Mugz, listen to the song "Brave" by Sara Bareilles. Take the chorus to heart. You got this!
 
Back
Top