• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Intense fear of pain and iv sedation

S

SamanthaH

Getting my 4 wisdom teeth out tomorrow under conscious iv sedation and I am terrified! Mostly scared of being aware while under. I figured this was the best place to come for reassurance and i've enjoyed reading other positive iv sedation experiences. I have an intense anxiety disorder. The teeth are all erupted and have been for years. Also has anyone used emla for the iv site before? I bought some as i am a nurse and i know how well it works for the kids. Wish me luck!!

Bless you - you will be fine - you will go in there all nervous, and come out with it all done and all hunky dorey - feel as if I am rushed - just about to dish up my Sunday grub - seriously - you will be just cool I :love: that stuff - does what it says on the label xx

Hi Samantha

I used EMLA cream before my wisdom teeth extractions under IV sedation. I have used it many times for needles in the past and it is always effective as long as you apply a good amount, cover it and leave for at least 20mins before you get the IV put in.

I also applied it to a variety of sites! I put some on the back of both hands and in the crook of each arm just encase there was any issue over finding a vein, that way I was totally confident I wouldn't feel the needle.

It worked a treat. Plus I don't remember anything about the actual extractions, the sedation was amazing.

I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, i'm sure it will.

:clover:

I used Emla too. I also put it on the crook of both elbows to make sure, as i have had problems getting veins in the past (but this time it worked first time!). I was also worried I would feint as this has been a problem for me too in the past but dentists who do iV sedation seem to have had lots of practise with people with these fears! My IV sedation experience for wisdom teeth was one of the most positive dental experiences I've had!

Thanks so much for all your kind words. I leave in 1 hour and am feeling better than i was before. Having said that I'm still shaking in my boots lol. Lets go!

Thanks so much for all your kind words. I leave in 1 hour and am feeling better than i was before. Having said that I'm still shaking in my boots lol. Lets go!

Well, everything went much better than expected! IV went in easily and within 30 seconds of the drugs being given (fentanyl and Versed) I was out, next thing I remember was waking up and being taken downstairs. Got the cotton in my mouth to stop the bleeding, but between the Ibuprofen and Tylenol 3's, the pain really isnt that bad!
If I can do it, anyone can!;D

Back