• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Intense soreness 4 weeks after root canal

Z

zeezee22

I had a re-root done on my front tooth, which seemed to get infected from time to time and I had to take antibiotics. My general dentist recommended the re-root canal treatment with an endodontist as she said she did not have the right microscopes etc for a good job and as it was my front one, it was important it had the best chance. The original root canal had been done for several years so it was an old treatment.

I had my root canal redone by the endodontist, which was 4 weeks ago. The endodontist said that the contents of the root had turned black and deteriorated. He removed it with sodium hypochlorite and after a lot of this stuff going into the root and a lot of EDTA going into the root, he eventually said that the bleach had stopped bubbling and that meant all the stuff had been removed.

I returned after 10 days as it was still very sore and I could not smile properly as it was so sore. The endodontist said there was slight swelling at the root, but he suspected that the soreness and slight swelling was inflammation and to give it some time.

4 weeks after the root canal it is still very sore and as it is the front tooth it can get very sore during the day as I am talking and my lip is going over the gum. On occasion my gum looks very red. I feel worried to contact the dentist again as I do not want him to think that I am bothering him all the time, but currently, I am eating soft foods and it is difficult to chew as everything is still so sore. I am worried as this cost me £800 with all the x rays and cone x ray and treatment and I cannot afford much more. I only spent this amount as it was the front tooth as if it was a back tooth, I would have had it extracted without all this bother.

So worried - can anyone help me as I really do not know what to do. I am not sure if antibiotics would help and if there is some residual infection in the area around the tooth which may be preventing from clearing up.

If it is still that sore 4 weeks afterwards you should have the endodontist check it again. Don't worry about bothering them! If I had a patient who was still super sore a month later I'd want to know about it so I could check to make sure something else wasn't going on. It may be nothing and still just healing but better to be safe than sorry.

If it is still that sore 4 weeks afterwards you should have the endodontist check it again. Don't worry about bothering them! If I had a patient who was still super sore a month later I'd want to know about it so I could check to make sure something else wasn't going on. It may be nothing and still just healing but better to be safe than sorry.
Thank you for your advice - I really appreciate it.

I have made an appointment tomorrow. I cannot get in to see the endodontist, so I have made an appointment back with the general dentist. I told them I was having difficulty and they got me in quickly. I will ask if she can taken an x ray and see if there is some infection or swelling going on which is preventing it all from healing.

I never want to bother the dentist as they are so busy. I feel I am being a nuisance.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think that I might be needing my root canal redone by endodontist as my dentist said that she didn't realise how curved the tip of my root was and couldn't get all the way in there ?.
I'm currently getting a lot of pain, so I'm poisoning myself with Ibuprofen 400mg as my dentist said otc meds would suffice and I should give it more time (it's now been 2 weeks).
I was hoping to be sent to endodontist asap, thinking naively they will be able to sort out my root canal easily. But now I'm getting doubts.. I paid £550 to my dentist already for this incomplete rct job, so shelling out £800-1000 more to endo and then lose my tooth anyway is rather unwise.
Maybe I should just let it go...
Please let us know how you get on hun :)x

How are things now? Did this tooth settle for you?

I like to know if your tooth settled. I hope so. Going through my own root canal nightmare going on 3 weeks.

I like to know if your tooth settled. I hope so. Going through my own root canal nightmare going on 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear about your own tooth issues. These root canals can be a nightmare. I am sorry you are having such problems - it can make you very miserable.

As regards my situation, I am sorry to say, having gone to the endodontist, he recommended I have an apicectomy, to cut the tip off the root as the root was still infected. An oral surgeon carried out the apicectomy and still I am having problems. The only thing I can think of is this tooth is cracked, but having had a general dentist, an endodontist and an oral surgeon look at it, together with CT scans, you would have thought some kind of diagnosis could have been made by now. It is a front tooth, so I would not have gone through all this for any other reason than it is hard to make the decision to extract a front tooth. Whatever replacement you have is going to cause even more trauma. So really unhappy at the moment.

Sorry to say it has still not settled and I may be having another trip back to the dentist. I may request one more course of antibiotics as a last ditch attempt for it all to settle, and then if it doesn't settle, start to talk about extraction, as this has made my life miserable and painful for the last 6 months.

How is your root canal now? Are you still having problems too?

Back