• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

is it ok to mouthwash after EVERY single meal/drink?

M

ModestasM

I wonder since mouthwash contains fluoride and other ingredients... would it not somehow affect enamel/oral health if rinsing with the mouthwash after every single meal or acidic drink?

I have been doing so for the last 10 years or so and didnt have any dental problems. but now started to wonder should I carry on or not... cause for example since brushing after every meal might damage the enamel as far as I know, is there any health risk of using mouthwash after every meal?
thank you.

Seems like a complete waste of time to me, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Waiting 20 minutes after eating to brush would prevent any chance of damaging enamel btw.

''Seems like a complete waste of time to me '' - but I thought it was good to remove sugars and acids after each meal by rinsing your mouth... and as far as I know rinsing is recommended by many experts.

''Waiting 20 minutes after eating to brush would prevent any chance of damaging enamel btw. '' even brushing after every meal wouldnt cause any damage (like overbrushing) to the enamel? I eat 5-6 meals a day btw..

Last edited:
After my evening meal I floss/tepe then use mouthwash. I then don’t eat again until morning, and obviously brush my teeth before bed. I’m not sure the mouthwash does anything, but it’s like a full stop on eating for me.

One of my previous dentists insisted that mouthwash be used before brushing to loosen the gunk so that you could brush it off. I had always been told to use it after brushing before that.

My current dentist said mouthwash doesn't really do harm or good, but if you get a mild mouthwash with fluoride and use it after brushing, it can't hurt. He advises against the strong ones with alcohol or the ones that say they kill 99% of bacteria.

One of my previous dentists insisted that mouthwash be used before brushing to loosen the gunk so that you could brush it off. I had always been told to use it after brushing before that.

My current dentist said mouthwash doesn't really do harm or good, but if you get a mild mouthwash with fluoride and use it after brushing, it can't hurt. He advises against the strong ones with alcohol or the ones that say they kill 99% of bacteria.
Best not to use it straight after brushing as it’ll wash away the residual fluoride from the toothpaste. If anyone wants to use a mouthwash I suggest it’s used during the day.

To get back to the original question, it’s unlikely to damage the teeth but overusing strong mouthwash (like listerine for example) can irritate the soft tissues.

Best not to use it straight after brushing as it’ll wash away the residual fluoride from the toothpaste. If anyone wants to use a mouthwash I suggest it’s used during the day.

To get back to the original question, it’s unlikely to damage the teeth but overusing strong mouthwash (like listerine for example) can irritate the soft tissues.

Thank you for clarifying that! I do remember something about waiting for a time after brushing.

Back