• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it possible to numb individual lower teeth, rather than numbing half the lower jaw?

J

Jenny_Lou82

Is it possible to numb individual lower teeth, rather than numbing half the lower jaw?

A few years ago I had fillings in my lower left second and third molars. The dentist did an injection right at the back of my mouth which made half of my face numb, but not my teeth, and she had to do two more injections in the gum just below each tooth before I was numb enough for her to start drilling. She seemed surprised that I felt the second and third injections.

Anyway, I hate the feeling of being numb, and having that much of my face numb really freaked me out and made me feel really panicky. I have massive dental anxiety anyway. I need more work done now, and I want to try to face my fear and do it without sedation, but I was wondering if there is any way to numb individual lower teeth the way they do with upper teeth? I know it's to do with the nerve supply to the teeth and that the lower teeth share a nerve or something like that. But I think I might be able to cope with it a little bit better if they could somehow only numb a small area. Is it possible?

Re: Is it possible to numb individual lower teeth, rather than numbing half the lower jaw?

I would say that I numb a single bottom back tooth almost every day. It works most of the time but not 100%. It is very technique sensitive and most dentists don't do it.

Re: Is it possible to numb individual lower teeth, rather than numbing half the lower jaw?

Hello. Can the STA wand be used for lower molars? I hate my face being numb.:o

Generally yes so can a pdl syringe
both are technique sensitive

I agree with comfortdentist.
Numbing individual teeth in the lkower jaw works well for extractions but is less reliable for fillings.
If you're very anxious then I would suggest you block the nerve AND numb the individual tooth Better to stop the pain and live with the inconvenience.
If you're less nervous then you can try individual numbing and see if it works for you.

Back