• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is jaw pain a week after RCT normal?

I always book my next checkup or any treatment before I leave after having one, so I am sure they will be happy to do that for you. My dentist can actually do it on the computer in her room rather than me waiting at reception. I do the same at the hairdresser. That said, my partner moans that I am unable to be spontaneous - I like a plan!
I'd love to just be able to tell them to give me every Thursday 6pm for the next 2 months. That would be the time least necessary to tell anyone where I'm going!

I emailed them and got the reply I wanted. Yes, it's normal to have some pain and I can take ibuprofen before I go tomorrow. The jaw pain is improving a bit each day but I still can't open as wide as I think I should, and it hurts a bit moving my bottom teeth forward to match the top ones, if that makes sense. Hopefully I can open wide enough for them to numb it and then I won't feel any pain while they're working on it. Another injection when it's still not back to normal yet, I'll probably be in agony afterwards (I've just bought a new box of ibuprofen to keep me going!)

I've to sign the treatment plan tomorrow and get a copy. I'm a bit nervous about that, although I already know more or less what I need. I just think it might be overwhelming to see it all in print. But I am looking forward to physically ticking off each appointment as I go and seeing the progress.

She also said we can book the appointments in advance tomorrow. I'm glad I'll have a proper plan (and not have to make horrible phone calls every time!) and will know exactly when I'm going and for what. Really hope the majority of it is done in the next couple of months.

All that is left to do now is wait until tomorrow afternoon when hopefully one tooth will be completed.

Regina,

I'm glad to hear some positives going on and progress on getting the written treatment plan. I'm so with you on feeling good checking off the boxes of things done and seeing progress.! You are doing so well! I hope that your jaw pain improves a bit by tomorrow and its not too hard on you to stay open tomorrow. Hope they will be patient and gentle the whole way through!

:thankyou:@krlovesherkids777
I'm sure he will be patient and gentle. He's been gentle so far and good at checking I was OK, so I'm quite confident. I feel like I made the right choice of practice to go to, even though I've just started. ?

Let us know how it all goes :) :).. sounds like a keeper .. and a chance to gain some good experience and trust !

I've updated on my thread in the Support section (trying not to veer off topic too much in this section!). All went fine. Now for a sleep! :off-to-bed:

Just read it. You are killing it with the progress. Wow!!! Hope you have a fabulous nap!

Yes.. :) I agree with Courage and Bravery.. you really are..

Hi Regina,
If you had a i d block injection (that's the one they put right at the back of your mouth which makes your front lip and tongue go numb), then the jaw can be sore on opening for a while because the muscles that open and close the jaw can occasionally be traumatised by the injection. Ibuprofen, if you are safe to take it, can help. It should resolve on its own. Rest the jaw by avoiding very chewy foods.

If the pain is located right under the tooth itself then that would be a different matter. Again, it is not uncommon and may well resolve.

Hope it all settles down soon

Lincoln
Hi Lincoln, could you tell me if this still sounds normal? My jaw is still sore and it's been 12 days since the first treatment. It's not any worse than last week, so I'm sure it's got nothing to do with yesterday's second part of the RCT, he used a different anaesthetic when I told him about the pain and I think that helped. I can open my mouth a bit wider each day, but I still can't bring my jaw any further forward than for my front teeth to touch, and when I do bring it that far, the pain kind of extends to my temple. Could there be any permanent damage or am I just paranoid??

Hi,
It is extremely unlikely that there is any permanent damage. I am sure it will eventually settle completely. These things can occasionally take weeks to fully resolve.

Lincoln

:thankyou:
I thought I might just be overthinking. The pain itself isn't much of a problem, I haven't been taking anything most of the time. As long as I know it will likely settle, I don't mind. I also think I probably grind and clench my teeth, that might not help.

Thanks again @drhirst !

Two and a half weeks now (18 days). I still can't bring my jaw forward, or open very wide. I can just imagine them having to crack it back into place :hidesbehindsofa:

I’m so sorry to hear this. Ugh! My doctor told me she sometimes prescribes muscle relaxers for jaw issues and has seen good results. Any chance of going to visit with yours and talking this through? Hope this resolves ASAP.

Sounds a bit like trismus (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trismus )? Is there any chance you could see your GP (I know, might be a bit difficult over Easter :(). In the normal way, it should probably have resolved by now (though as Lincoln said, it could take weeks), so seeing a doctor would be a very good idea. You may also want to try warm compresses and ibuprofen until you can see a professional (provided you can take NSAIDs - check with your pharmacist).

I hope you feel better soon :grouphug:

Last edited:
Two and a half weeks now (18 days). I still can't bring my jaw forward, or open very wide. I can just imagine them having to crack it back into place :hidesbehindsofa:

I have this same issue with my jaw after a crown prep. I cannot fully open my mouth, and I get pain thay radiated from my ear down my jaw (bottom jaw, right side). I am also having pain in the tooth that was crowned (no root canal), so I had assumed it was the tooth causing it. Now I am wondering if it is a separate issue. I had the nerve block injection and it was quite painful this time. I also cannot move my lower jaw forward. It has been almost two weeks for me, and it is improving, but very slowly, and if I make a certain movemenr when talking, it will have a jolt of pain.

Hot compresses did help me a lot!

Thanks @CourageAndBraveryASAP and @letsconnect . I suppose maybe I should see a GP. I'm almost as bad at going to them as I am with dentists. It took me a year of living where I am to register with one, and that's the only time I've been. Maybe I could email the dentist first and see what he suggests ? My next appointment with him is in 2 weeks for the other root canal and I'd like it to be better by then. That was the next available time when I was free, so I don't even think he'd be able to see me before that if he needed to. I just feel like they'll reply again that I've not to worry, jaw pain is normal.

But if something simple like muscle relaxers could help then it would be silly for me not to do anything.

I'll try warm compresses. Ibuprofen hasn't done much and I haven't bothered taking it a lot because it doesn't hurt when I don't try to move it anyway. And I wondered if ibuprofen would actually improve anything or just mask the pain, meaning I might move it in a way I shouldn't because the pain isn't stopping me. Then I started worrying that the only way to fix it would be for someone to break my jaw and put it back in place. I know all of that is just in my mind and has no real basis. I should ask the expert rather than listen to myself!

I also cannot move my lower jaw forward. It has been almost two weeks for me, and it is improving, but very slowly, and if I make a certain movemenr when talking, it will have a jolt of pain.
This is the same for me, it's happened a couple of times when eating. For moving my jaw forward, it's less pain and more like it just physically refuses to move, even if I were to try and force it. I don't have any tooth pain at all. Hope yours gets sorted soon too!

Thanks @CourageAndBraveryASAP and @letsconnect . I suppose maybe I should see a GP. I'm almost as bad at going to them as I am with dentists. It took me a year of living where I am to register with one, and that's the only time I've been. Maybe I could email the dentist first and see what he suggests ? My next appointment with him is in 2 weeks for the other root canal and I'd like it to be better by then. That was the next available time when I was free, so I don't even think he'd be able to see me before that if he needed to. I just feel like they'll reply again that I've not to worry, jaw pain is normal.

But if something simple like muscle relaxers could help then it would be silly for me not to do anything.

I'll try warm compresses. Ibuprofen hasn't done much and I haven't bothered taking it a lot because it doesn't hurt when I don't try to move it anyway. And I wondered if ibuprofen would actually improve anything or just mask the pain, meaning I might move it in a way I shouldn't because the pain isn't stopping me. Then I started worrying that the only way to fix it would be for someone to break my jaw and put it back in place. I know all of that is just in my mind and has no real basis. I should ask the expert rather than listen to myself!

This is the same for me, it's happened a couple of times when eating. For moving my jaw forward, it's less pain and more like it just physically refuses to move, even if I were to try and force it. I don't have any tooth pain at all. Hope yours gets sorted soon too!

I hope yours does, too! Let me know if the muscle relaxers work, if you get them. My tooth pain is an unrelated issue, I believe, only related in the sense that the jaw issue was caused during the crown prep.

I can move my lower jaw forward now, after the hot compresses, but it hurts at a certain point. It also hurts at a certain point when opening my mouth.

I hope yours does, too! Let me know if the muscle relaxers work, if you get them. My tooth pain is an unrelated issue, I believe, only related in the sense that the jaw issue was caused during the crown prep.

I can move my lower jaw forward now, after the hot compresses, but it hurts at a certain point. It also hurts at a certain point when opening my mouth.
I emailed them today asking if they can advise. Not sure if they'll get it tomorrow or be closed for the holiday. But I'll wait and see if they recommend anything.
Will update when I can.

Glad you can move it forward now!

The dentist is going to fit me in on Thursday afternoon to check it out.

:censored: (that's me refusing to open my mouth!)

Back