• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is sinus pressure related to dying or abscessed tooth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anne2023
  • Start date Start date
A

Anne2023

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2023
Messages
44
Location
USA
I have been having a lot of sinus pressure the last few months that got considerably worse this last weekend. The back story is that upper left molar #14 has not felt "right" since #15 was removed in 2009. It was crowned in 2000. Since #15 was removed, it often felt itchy and like it just wasn't normal - like I could feel its presence. No pain though, so all was well. Then in 2017 I was told there was some decay at the gum line. I was scared to do anything about it. In 2023 it became sensitive to cold and heat, and I finally got it filled. I don't do root canals, so the alternative was to extract. It has been over 2.5 years now since the filling. I lost #12 in 2019, so it's just #13 and #14 up there and I think there has been some movement, as food gets stuck between them more easily and I have to floss more there.

I hold a lot of tension in my neck and jaw, especially on my left side, and especially when I am working. I have a full-time desk job. During my busiest times going back to January 2024, I would notice sensations in that tooth almost like little shocks, but when my stress level decreased, they went away. Then about three months ago, I noticed sinus pressure in the left maxillary sinus but it was strongest right near the nose. I thought it was related to a massage I had, but the person who did the massage didn't think that made sense. I started noticing an increase in pressure when I would bend forward, and there was a faint sense of pulsing. Then the symptoms associated with bending went away, but the pressure near the nose would come and go. Then three nights ago, I lay down in bed on my left side and felt a stronger pulsing pressure - not sharp at all - and it seemed near #14. I rolled onto my back (not flat but a little inclined due to acid reflux) and it went away. Then yesterday morning I got up and almost immediately went to take a shower. As soon as I tilted my head back to wet my hair, there was a lot of pressure in my sinuses all over - including the right side and forehead - but there was a much stronger pulsing pressure in the left maxillary sinus and strongest near #14. I have seen on prior x-rays that the roots are very near or actually in the sinus. After the shower with the tilting of my head was over, the pulsing stopped, but I have had a lot of sinus pressure all weekend - both sides maxillary and my forehead above my eyebrows.

I have done some self-massage and stretching for the tension and it seems to affect the pressure when I do that, but I can't escape the strongest sensations being near or on #14. If it's the tooth, could it account for the pressure in all those areas? If it's the tooth, is it more likely dying or abscessed? I know I need to go to the dentist, but I'm afraid with the crown, they won't be able to see what's going on. The only time I previously had an abscess, there was a bump on my gums, and the pressure I felt with it coincided with the bump all within the same few days. There is no bump or indication near the tooth or gums like that now. I don't want to extract if it's not the tooth.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
 
Last edited:
It's not likely to be from the tooth. It would be worth getting the tooth x-rayed and checked by a dentist to make certain though.
 
Let me know how you get on please.
 
I will do that. They can fit me in this morning for an appointment.
 
Anne2023, How did your appointment go?
 
@Gordon I'm sorry it has taken me so long to follow up. Sometimes after I make it through an appointment I try not to think about it due to the anxiety. I should have replied right after my appointment.

I saw the dentist Tuesday morning. He did an x-ray and exam. He saw nothing suspicious at all on the x-ray. He showed it to me and said the bone looked good, too. He said that though the x-ray is two-dimensional so we can't know for sure, it looks like the tooth roots are in the sinus. He tapped the tooth and all seemed well there. He checked for pockets. He mentioned if it were cracked, there might be a pocket. He didn't notice anything wrong.

He offered me an antibiotic prescription in case there is an infection in the sinuses that is causing symptoms in the tooth. I haven't been able to fill it yet, as I have transportation issues. I will probably fill it as soon as I can, though. He said to let him know if it gets worse.

I haven't had a repeat of what happened when I tilted my head back in the shower, but there is weird pressure off and on and still when I lie on my left side for any length of time. I guess I'll try the antibiotic and just play it by ear. Thank you for your help!
 
Thanks for the update. The lying on the side thing makes it sound much more like a sinus issue than a dental one, possibly getting some steam into your nose will help, like the old fashioned thing folks used to do for a cold, some boiling water in a basin and lean over it with a towel over your head.
 
@Gordon Thank you so much for the steam recommendation. I appreciate you being here.
 
Back
Top