• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a tooth root tip poking out?

L

lillypad

Hi. It doesn't hurt, but I'm scared it will in the future. :(

Background:
have known this poky thing was there for 10 years, BUT it was under lots of gum. It developed after I had braces. I asked the ortho if it would cause me problems in the future. He said not to worry about it.

Now, 10 years later, it's poking out of the gum. It's hard, pointed, and white.

My wisdom teeth grew in three years ago. Did they crowd and push out this tooth's root?

Is this bad? What can be done? Will my tooth die?

I lightened the picture so you could see better.

Edit: I still have my wisdom teeth. top only.

Attachments

• nocirclelight.jpg
    nocirclelight.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 39
  • nocircle.jpg
    nocircle.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 31
  • circled.jpg
    circled.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I would suggest just to go to a general dentist for a quick look. I'm sure you'll be in and out in no time. Anything out of the ordinary is always worth looking at. The ortho did say not to worry but never told you what it was? You should go ask a regular dentist what it is. They say "better late than never" which is true but in dental cases, earlier is better! :) Are you afraid of the dentist? I had severe dental phobia….until I actually got there and was 1/4 into my appointment. Please give yourself well deserved peace of mind and book an appt. I hope all will be well!

PS your teeth look gorgeous…..

Signed … jealous, from Canada :p

Well, It's possible that some tooth fragments, especially root tips, will prove to be an exception to the above general rule. These pieces may not surface for months, and conceivably even years (if at all), after a person's surgery. Great view from here...

:redface: You are v. sweet, thank you for the nice words. When I was younger my dad scraped up the money to get them fixed, so I've tried to keep them up. I usually force myself to go, after much stalling, but I'm scared they will say my upper bone is too thin and want to do some surgery immediately (Ive been googling with not much success). Yeah the ortho didnt say what it was and I didnt press him for an answer. In the picture, the pointy thing isn't showing very well, but it is definitely there. bone poking out of the gum.I appreciate your encouragement. Maybe I can get someone to come with me and hold my hand like a baby.

Back