• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation appt next tuesday

Sending you good thoughts and wishes for your appointment tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Anti-Dentite said:
Sending you good thoughts and wishes for your appointment tomorrow.  I'm sure you'll do just fine.  Keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Thanks

Its 11.45 pm and just had my last 2 kalm tablets and brew. In 12 hours it will all be over.

Been reading up on conscious sedation and worried myself even more, as it says I will be conscious, there is no chance i`ll be asleep , i`m in a state at the moment, but I m` just gonna have to trust the dentist and the sedation guy.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR APPT :mad: REMEMBER THAT THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE A FEW THAT DO NOT GO THE WAY THEY SHOULD AND I AM TALKING ABOUT ANY MEDICAL PROCEDURE, NOT JUST DENTAL. ) GETTING ALL OF MY MAJOR WORK DONE AT ONCE HAS ALLOWED ME TO GO AND HAVE MINOR WORK DONE WITH JUST LOCAL INJECTIONS TO NUMB THE AREA THAT IS BEING WORKED. THE FEELING THAT YOU HAVE COMING OUT OF THE DENTIST OFFICE KNOWING THAT YOU CONQUERED YOUR FEAR IS EUPHORIC. REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL SPEND MANY MORE HOURS HURTING FROM BAD TEETH THAN IT WOULD TAKE TO FIX THE PROBLEM. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW GOOD I FEEL WAKING UP WITHOUT NECK ACHES, HEADACHES, ALL STEMMING FROM THOSE BAD TEETH. YOU CAN DO IT!!! PLEASE SEND ME A PM TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING. I PROMISE YOU, IF THE GUY/GAL IS GOOD, YOU WILL NOT FEEL ANYTHING!!!!!

It will soon be over!!!  Take a few deep breaths and tell yourself that you can do this and that it will go smoothly!!!  There are a lot of us here rooting  :jump: for you and will be thinking about you so remember that while you are there!!!

Best wishes!

Pam

Wishing you tons of luck for your appointment... keep us posted! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Hi Mr,

Ohhhhh I cant wait to hear from you, it should be all over for you now and I hope it went well :grouphug:

I do hope it all went well for you and you are now feeling so good about having gone through it all and the worst is now all behind you. Look forward to hearing if you were aware of what was going on, how you felt after etc. etc. This will be me soon, so in a way I'm envious that for you it's over, with me, it's still to come. :hug2:

Hi folks

Had my appt this morning and then been asleep most of the day.

Unfortunatley this is not a success story so if you dont want to read anything negative please dont read past here.

Got to the dentist about 10 mins before my appt, but had about a 45 min wait, this did not help as I was getting more and more nervous, and also I could see people who had been treated coming out of the surgery, and they seemed quite " with it" so that quashed any hopes of me being completely out of it. To be fair though they did seem to be in good spirits coming out.

Then at one point a woman who was having surgery was screaming, her daughter ran over to the room demanding to know what was going on, the dentist came out a few mins later and said she wasnt in any pain, she was just objecting to losing a totally rotten tooth.

Then it was my turn, I went in, got weighed, took my jacket off etc, and then when invited to sit in the chair i just burst out crying, to be fair the dentist , the sedation guy and the nurse were all really really kind and took there time with me, he had a look in my mouth with the mirror and then asked does he want me to go ahead, I asked questions about if he would take notice while I was "under" if I wanted him to stop or anything he said yes. I asked could I have the sedation and then see if I wanted to carry on , he said no, because once i was under sedation , I would be ok anyway, so i agreed to have the sedation. He then explained to me that if they started the sedation while I was crying I would carry on crying while sedated, so I somehow managed to find some control and stopped crying, he then gave me the sedation.

To be honest, I did not feel the sedation, I think whatever it does must be really gradual, in a way i was disappointed as I wanted a dramatic change in my consciousness, but here is the good bit .......

He gave me 2 needles, ( I really really really hate needles in my mouth) I was aware of them , but i can honestly 100% say they did not hurt , I felt them , but it only felt like really tiny pressure. At this point without sedation I would have been running away up the street , but with the sedation it was not a problem, yes i`d rather have been somewhere else, but I was not feeling fearful.

He managed to do a filling in the right top side of my mouth, this was over really quickly, and gave me no problems at all.
Then he started to do a bottomn left back tooth, as he was drilling, it was really really hurting, and it was not pressure pain or pushing pain,this was genuinely not what i should have felt ,I was making noise, and waving my arms, and he did not stop , in the end I had to move his arm away.

He then finished the filling in that tooth, but he then said thats enough for today, I was gutted as I really wanted to get as much done as possible, but he said i`m just too nervous even with the sedation, so I now have to be referred to the hospital for a general aneasthetic.

I `m truly gutted, I was convinced that it was just a case I needed that area numbed more, but he said if that was the problem he would have gave me more aneasthetic, the problem is i`m just too wound up to let the sedation work properly.

After coming home I slept for about 2 hours, woke up and all the numbness had gone already , however I now have some teeth which are sore which are not even ones he worked on?

The fillings he has done look like a nice tidy job which I am pleased about, just wish he had done more.

As for the sedation, i`m not meant to drive or anything for 24 hours, which I will adhere to, however I do feel fine.

Altogether the visit does not qualify as a success story or a horror story, its more of a disappointed visit and " what happens next"

I really appreciate all the support on here, and i`ll continue to need it , also now that I have been and had this sedation maybe I can help others on here who are hesitant to have this sedation.

I'm sorry it didn't go as well as u hoped for. BUT u did great though & managed to have some work done :)

U are sooo strong to go into the room - after hearing that Woman screaming. That would have sent me back into my car & heading home !!

And u managed to have some Injections,that's great that u could do that :jump:

I hope it all goes well for u & i'm sorry u aren't that happy about how it went :XXLhug: :XXLhug:

First off, well done!!!!  :jump:  :jump:  :jump:  You went through with it and should be very pleased with yourself.  

Second, there are several aspects of your experience that very much qualify as a success story.  You aren't giving yourself enough credit!  :)  You went to an appointment that you initally wanted to cancel.  You had the courage to talk to the dentist about your fears and then agreed to go through with the procedure.  Here's a shining example of your success:

mr_Ihatemymouth said:
He gave me 2 needles, ( I really really really hate needles in my mouth) I was aware of them , but i can  honestly 100% say  they  did not hurt , I felt them , but it only felt like really  tiny pressure.  At this point without sedation I would have been  running away  up the street , but with the sedation it was not a problem, yes i`d rather have been  somewhere else,  but I was not feeling fearful.  

I'm sorry that you experienced more sensation than you would have liked and that you felt as though you weren't sedated enough.  My dentist commented that they were concerned my extreme fear was going to hinder sedation as well so perhaps there is something more to that.  It would be interesting to know if there is a way to counter that with more sedation or if that is not possible.  The good part of that is knowing that the dentist recognized you were not comfortable with the procedure and stopped at that point.  You may not finished all of your treatment but you got through some of it with little discomfort and not as much anxiety as you anticipated.  

I hope that you will read this and take away some more positive views of what you accomplished.  There are many people who would be thrilled to have gotten as far as you have so you should be feeling good that you faced your fear.

Congrats on coming so far....you are a success story in my eyes.   :cheers:

Pam

Hi, I can only second what Pam has said. Yours is a success story :jump: You went, had sedation, and procedures done. That is success. Yes you would have liked more of the work behind you, but there is less to be done now than a week ago :jump: Our bodies are funny things some of us are able to relax with sedation, while others, including myself have a harder time with it due to our nervousness. Don't be so hard on yourself. You have made it this far and you will make it through the rest of your treatment as well :jump:
Soon you will post everything on the success board and will be able to share your experience of both sedation and GA which I know will help others on this board.

One last thing...you are truely an inspiration to many already...keep on posting

Been reading up on GA , and i`m not really sure I want to take this path, there are risks with GA including Death, something like 1 death per 350,000. When your under GA, you can`t even breathe by yourself, so basically it wouldnt just be my mouth at the mercy of the dental team, its my entire life. I dont want to die because of my teeth, that just seems stupid.

I really dont feel like a success story, before my appt yesterday I was worried sick, but I at least had some hope that the sedation would do the trick. Now I feel like I dont have any hope , and the only upside is 2 simple fillings, but to put this in context I only have 6 teeth in my mouth that dont need work , and the ones that do need work are fillings, root treatments, crowns, extractions, so the 2 that have been done are a small drop in the ocean. And to top this, my teeth were not even sore yesterday before the appt , now they are :(

Not a success story in my eyes.

Really not sure what to do :(

Please suggest something.

Thanks

Hi...so sorry you are going through a difficult time.  

Googling can be a great thing at times, but can also raise our fears at other times.  I googled questions on mini implants recently and one of the sites had a video of the procedure...not what I needed to see :scared: :scared:, but my curiosity got the best of me. :(

Why not ask Gordon or Pars about GA vs Sedation (under the dentistry question area of the board)  Be sure to explain the problems you had with the IV sedation, so they will have as much info as possible.  They are both very knowledgable and will be able to answer all of your questions and calm your concerns.  Believe me they have helped me through many fearful procedures ;)

Hope this helps

Hi Mr.

I'm at work and only have a quick moment but wanted to let you know that I had two sessions of GA to get my dental work done.  I'll be glad to share my experience with you if you desire.  It was much easier than I thought and I had never had surgery so it was the first time I had ever been put to sleep.  Please pm me if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help you. I won't be available again until tonight but will respond at that time.

I agree with Freakout, sometimes too much information can be a bad thing, especially if it is contradictory.  I'm also sorry that you aren't more satisfied with the steps you have made.  Even baby steps are important so don't take away the good you've accomplished!! :)

Just an update ...... got to to back to my original dentist on monday 9th July for a further check up so they can then refer me to the hospital, then I have to see the hospital dentist so he can do another check up , this is minimum 12 weeks away, then I have to wait god knows how long for the actual work. :(

Looks like this is gonna be hanging over my head for ages. I just want it all to be over.

Since my last appt where he managed to do 2 fillings, my teeth are a lot more sore ?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear you have to wait.  I know how tough that is, at one point I was all geared up for appt. and they called me a week before and postponed it.  I had already waited a month and was not very happy about the change.   :(  Perhaps you can tell your original dentist that the waiting makes you more anxious and see if there is a way they can move up the next appt.  

Do you mean the teeth that have been filled or just your teeth in general?  Sometimes composite fillings can cause sensitivity for a few weeks but that should go away.  If you feel as though other teeth are now sore perhaps it's a bite issue.  I didn't end up needing my bite fixed after all my "repairs" but they told me it's a very easy fix.  I would definitely bring it up at your appt. on Monday.

I hope that everything goes well and that they are able to get you in quicker so you don't have to deal with the waiting! :thumbsup:

Pam

Bad news:-
As per my last reply I went this morning to see the dentist. She did another check up and talked about my referral to Hospital, she has told me that the Hospital will only do extractions under the GA, they will not do any fillings, crowns, root treatments or anything like that. The conservation work is what I need, I dont actually want extractions as the teeth they would extract are at the front of my mouth.
So I was given 2 options... the GA at hospital and have them extracted, or they could refer me to the community dental thing, this is the one which can do the conservation work under a GA, I have gone for this option, the catch :- Its over a year before they can even do an assessment.

I`m devastated and feel like I have hit a wall.

Is there any more options for me?

Thanks everyone

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've read your story with interest because I too was "too aware" during sedation. It was great for the first little while, but wore off in the middle of my extraction. :scared:

In regards to your question about there being other options, I'm not sure, but I can say that if the community dental office has a waiting list, get on it ASAP. In my limited experience, I find that offices may say the wait is that long, but with cancellations and such, it often isn't nearly as long as they say.

Hoping you find a solution soon,

The Other Me

Back