• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just been told I need an extraction - never had one before- TERRIFIED!!

C

Caramelteach

Hey everyone,

So I've gone from my post yesterday where I was worried about a filling to full-blown terror today because it turns out the 'filling' is now actually going to have to be an extraction!

It's the 3rd molar back on the top, right hand side.

I have never been through an extraction in my life and I am absolutely terrified! Can anyone tell me what I should expect? I'm not worried about it hurting, more how long it will take and what it will feel like. What will the Dentist actually do?

The Dentist did say I could take Tramadol, but I'm not really sure what that's for? I have a major panic and anxiety disorder, so would it be for that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just really, really scared and am going to have to wait until next Wednesday as that's the next available time the Dentist had.

I've had two extractions. One was an upper molar. I felt some pressure as the tooth was pulled but no pain. You'll need to follow directions about biting down on the gauze for a certain amount of time, rinsing your mouth with salt water for a few days to prevent dry socket and avoiding hard pieces of food or brushing in that area but that's about it. I didn't take the pain meds I was prescribed for either tooth because I take anxiety meds as needed. I didn't NEED the pain meds.

I know they must use some special tool that grasps and levers somehow, but since they keep things out of view, I don't know what it is. Certainly there are no plier type things.

The tooth I had pulled about 2 months ago was a breeze. It was a smaller tooth on the bottom gum. The dentist numbed me really well and was telling me she was going to be pushing against my lip so if there was any discomfort.......... that's it. It's out. I kid you not. Two minutes from the time I was numb til it was totally over.

Both times I chose to have the teeth pulled because they were cracked.

Diane

I've had two extractions. One was an upper molar. I felt some pressure as the tooth was pulled but no pain. You'll need to follow directions about biting down on the gauze for a certain amount of time, rinsing your mouth with salt water for a few days to prevent dry socket and avoiding hard pieces of food or brushing in that area but that's about it. I didn't take the pain meds I was prescribed for either tooth because I take anxiety meds as needed. I didn't NEED the pain meds.

I know they must use some special tool that grasps and levers somehow, but since they keep things out of view, I don't know what it is. Certainly there are no plier type things.

The tooth I had pulled about 2 months ago was a breeze. It was a smaller tooth on the bottom gum. The dentist numbed me really well and was telling me she was going to be pushing against my lip so if there was any discomfort.......... that's it. It's out. I kid you not. Two minutes from the time I was numb til it was totally over.

Both times I chose to have the teeth pulled because they were cracked.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your reply, it makes me feel a little better. :) How long do you reckon the molar took from start to finish?

The molar extraction might have taken 10 minutes because my tooth had cracked in half down the middle (not by the dentist). She told me afterwards that it came out in two pieces. Again, it was no big deal at all! I was very, very surprised and had worked myself into a frenzy over what to expect.

The molar extraction might have taken 10 minutes because my tooth had cracked in half down the middle (not by the dentist). She told me afterwards that it came out in two pieces. Again, it was no big deal at all! I was very, very surprised and had worked myself into a frenzy over what to expect.

Thanks Diane-I think that's my trouble too, the reality usually works out to be far less scary than what my brain can come up with!!

I think my main worry is having a panic attack in the chair while they're doing it, so the quicker it is for me, the better!

Caramelteach...I just had a tooth extracted yesterday. Mine was the last molar on the top left. I can honestly tell you it didn't hurt at all! The worst part was the needle (which my dentist is very gentle giving, she doesn't hurt me at all) and the waiting to get numb. Once the dentist came in to pull the tooth it was over in about 2 minutes! Some tugging sensations, and pulling sensations but not pain! Mine was basically only half a tooth, it broke years ago, but it came out it one piece! I was like "Is that it?" I had been so stressed and wanting to cry all morning waiting for my appointment and it was really over that fast! This morning I have no swelling, no soreness and no pain!

Caramelteach...I just had a tooth extracted yesterday. Mine was the last molar on the top left. I can honestly tell you it didn't hurt at all! The worst part was the needle (which my dentist is very gentle giving, she doesn't hurt me at all) and the waiting to get numb. Once the dentist came in to pull the tooth it was over in about 2 minutes! Some tugging sensations, and pulling sensations but not pain! Mine was basically only half a tooth, it broke years ago, but it came out it one piece! I was like "Is that it?" I had been so stressed and wanting to cry all morning waiting for my appointment and it was really over that fast! This morning I have no swelling, no soreness and no pain!

Hi Lin,

That makes me feel better too. :) For some reason, I had it in my head that it was going to take forever to pull it out!

I feel the same way and am terrified while facing the extraction of a split LL6 molar. I've not had teeth out since my early teens and they were under general anaesthetic so I've never been conscious during the procedure.

As well as being anxious and panicky on the dentist's chair, I'm also very squeamish, dreading hearing any 'crack' as it's removed or seeing/tasting any blood. I've been worrying about it and having sleepless nights for weeks. Both of my parents have fainted when having a single tooth extracted and mum was ambulanced to A&E. They have no idea how bad I am and hearing these tales from them hasn't boosted my confidence one bit.

From the above responses and others on this forum, it sounds as though it might not be as bad as I fear, but I am still worrying about it!

Karen,

I know exactly how you feel xx I'm in bed at the moment wondering how on earth I'm going to get through the next week. :(

Have you made your appointment yet? I wish you luck.

I have a bite analysis result appointment tomorrow which is to be followed by 4-6 crowns to replace cracked teeth. One tooth has split and that's the one to be extracted but if the cracks in the rest extend below the gumline then I'm told they'll almost certainly need to be extracted too. I know that one has cracked towards the root - it's currently held together with a filling but I can see the crack becoming increasingly visible every few months.

I'm dreading it but everyone seems to say it's not such a big deal and easier than a filling. I hope they're right, not that I've ever coped well with even a simple filling...!

It is reassuring to read through other members' experiences here. They never seem to be as bad as we fear. I hope.

Good luck with your own appointment.

My appointment isn't until next Wednesday:(

Good luck with everything Karen-you're being so brave :respect::XXLhug::) I really admire you. Xx

It does seem that extractions are easier, just don't want to end up as a toothless old crone!

Karen, call and see if they've had a cancellation. Waiting is only going to make you more nervous!

This will not be the nightmare you think it is. Probably, when Mom and Dad had teeth pulled, they didn't have the fancy equipment they use now. Actually, they probably didn't even have the gel that numbs you so you don't feel the shot.

Well, I've just had it done and it was ok. I went in there an absolute nervous wreck, felt sick as a dog and really faint, but I did it.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and support, it really meant a lot. xx:XXLhug:

VERY well done!

How was it? Did it hurt? Was there much blood?

Most importantly, how are you now? I hope you're feeling better and enjoying the relief of getting through it.

I had my appointment yesterday and an X-ray showed the crack in my tooth extends to the front rather than towards the root so there's a possibility that it might be saveable rather than the 'complex extraction' I was booked for. I hope so.

Oo, that sounds like good news! Fingers crossed. :)

It was ok-no pain at all, no blood that I saw (although there must have been some), just a small amount of bleeding afterwards.

Feeling a lot better now! :)

Wow.....my hero....how are you now? Wow...wow....thanks for the light at the end of my tunnel.

Back