• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help, I've been told I need my four front top teeth extracting!!

L

LizzieS

After having a chronic infection, my dentist has advised having my four front top teeth removed and replaced with a plastic denture until the gums heal and then a skeletal denture. I'm worried about how stable such a denture is when eating etc - anyone got any experience of this?

more for looks than function

I'm absolutely terrified about the procedure, and the thought of an ill fitting denture just makes things worse. Are there any alternatives?

Hi I had a lower partial placed about a month ago and it works great! I eat everything! Food does get caught under it but no big deal. I getting ready to have four front teeth removed and a partial denture placed in about two weeks! I'm really not nervous at all. I know it will be an adjustment but at least I can smile! My partial has the metal clasps that fit on my remaining few teeth. Is that the kind you are getting?

Hi I had a lower partial placed about a month ago and it works great! I eat everything! Food does get caught under it but no big deal. I getting ready to have four front teeth removed and a partial denture placed in about two weeks! I'm really not nervous at all. I know it will be an adjustment but at least I can smile! My partial has the metal clasps that fit on my remaining few teeth. Is that the kind you are getting?

Yes the partial will have clasps. Great to know yours is a success, did you have a healing denture first? How long did your gums take to heal??

Hi, no healing partial got my permanent partial right after extractions. I had minimum swelling and my gums only bled for a day. I did salt water rinses and it really helped. Everything worked out fine and no problem with my speech. Eating different foods took some practice but really I haven't given anything up. Keep me posted on your progress!

I had my four front uppers removed and dentures back in November.
My experiences so far of both speech and eating are below for you.
I however am sticking with normal dentures and I don't have any metal clasps on mine.

Speech:
My speech was fine immediately after the extractions and denture going in.
Just under 2 hours after the treatment I was back and working from home and was making and taking calls from colleagues with no issues at all.
Around 3 weeks after getting the dentures I was experiencing the partial wobbling around due to gums healing and a gap between my gums and the plate and I was struggling to speak - I had issues with 'sh', 'sch' and 'tion' as part of a word mostly.
The dentist had told me not to use any adhesive but I realised at this point I needed to so I used Wernets powder which has been working.
Now, 3 months later the healing has again caused a bigger gap between the plate and my gums so I have upped to Fixodent today which so far is feeling much more fitted again.All my tester words sound very normal again. :)
I have been told by my dentist it'll be 2 years until I can have a reline (relining the plate with extra acrylic to sit closer to my gums) so I think I will just have to find ways to fill that gap with adhesive between now and then.

Eating:
I find it much more comfortable to eat with my dentures in than out.
The first few weeks I put no pressure on my front uppers though as when I did try it was painful as I wasn't healed. In the first few weeks I had soups or would break off small bits of bread, a main meal was easy as you tend to cut the food and place it in your mouth to chew.
Now I have much less of an issue. I would not choose to bite down into an apple but to be honest I have never felt confident in doing that ever since my adult teeth grew in as they were always twisted and not terribly strong.
When I eat an apple I cut slices off and bite a slice but I have always done this.
The first thing I attempted to properly bite through was a chip and it was fine.I can easily bite through pizza, crusty garlic bread, sandwiches etc now my gums are healed though.

I had my four front uppers removed and dentures back in November.
My experiences so far of both speech and eating are below for you.
I however am sticking with normal dentures and I don't have any metal clasps on mine.

Speech:
My speech was fine immediately after the extractions and denture going in.
Just under 2 hours after the treatment I was back and working from home and was making and taking calls from colleagues with no issues at all.
Around 3 weeks after getting the dentures I was experiencing the partial wobbling around due to gums healing and a gap between my gums and the plate and I was struggling to speak - I had issues with 'sh', 'sch' and 'tion' as part of a word mostly.
The dentist had told me not to use any adhesive but I realised at this point I needed to so I used Wernets powder which has been working.
Now, 3 months later the healing has again caused a bigger gap between the plate and my gums so I have upped to Fixodent today which so far is feeling much more fitted again.All my tester words sound very normal again. :)
I have been told by my dentist it'll be 2 years until I can have a reline (relining the plate with extra acrylic to sit closer to my gums) so I think I will just have to find ways to fill that gap with adhesive between now and then.

Eating:
I find it much more comfortable to eat with my dentures in than out.
The first few weeks I put no pressure on my front uppers though as when I did try it was painful as I wasn't healed. In the first few weeks I had soups or would break off small bits of bread, a main meal was easy as you tend to cut the food and place it in your mouth to chew.
Now I have much less of an issue. I would not choose to bite down into an apple but to be honest I have never felt confident in doing that ever since my adult teeth grew in as they were always twisted and not terribly strong.
When I eat an apple I cut slices off and bite a slice but I have always done this.
The first thing I attempted to properly bite through was a chip and it was fine.I can easily bite through pizza, crusty garlic bread, sandwiches etc now my gums are healed though.

Thanks for this reply, it's really useful. I'm back at the dentist on Wednesday to have a proper discussion with him about the best way forward. I've got lots of questions too!!

You're welcome! :)

The fear and pain before everything is the worst part.
Going up to my extraction appointments - I was terrified - and yes I got anti-anxiety meds to get me thro8ugh - they did.
The extractions - I didn't even feel them.
I spoke to my dentist about my terrible history with dentists and one thing I said was numb me up big time.
You can only feel the first needle properly so any others - not much of an issue.
I had 7 injections for one emergency extraction and only 5 injections 2 weeks later for 3 extractions.

Talk, air any fears and concerns - ask a lot, talk a lot.

I am having some slight issues but the new adhesive is working - woohoo!
Do your research on skeletal dentures though - or, well, I hope you have done prior to this point in time.

You'll be OK - baby steps! Take it easy on yourself!

Well, I've done it! I've got an appointment in 10 days to have the first impressions, then second a week later and extractions on 7 March. Now I'm seriously panicking- the thought of having impressions done is worse than the thought of the extractions. My dentist offers acupuncture for relaxation so I'm going to give that a go. Thank you all for your replies and support x

Well, I've done it! I've got an appointment in 10 days to have the first impressions, then second a week later and extractions on 7 March. Now I'm seriously panicking- the thought of having impressions done is worse than the thought of the extractions. My dentist offers acupuncture for relaxation so I'm going to give that a go. Thank you all for your replies and support x

I have an appointment on Monday to have the first set of impressions done and I'm terrified! I'm really scared that I'll feel like I'm choking. I can't sleep or concentrate on anything, I'm just constantly worried and anxious ?

Back