• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just came from the dentist

W

Woofy

Hello all,

I'm 48 year old male and just got back from the dentist. I have had dental phobia for the last 7 years and wasn't all too keen on it before then. Well my teeth have been bothering me so I decided to go to a sedation dentist. Well he did x-rays and pictures and then proceeded to show me an inventory for 40,000 dollars worth of work. This alone will make anybody phobic. Anyway I was wondering should I get a second opinion (I went in for a toothache which is still there) or would dentures be an option. Thanks for reading.

Hi Woofy,
I would get a second opinion as although I am UK, $40,000 sounds like crazy money to me! What kind of work has he suggested for you? I'd imagine that if the dentist hasn't reccomended full extractions and dentures, they're probably not the best option for you - would they be that much cheaper? I'd suggest trying to keep your own teeth if they can be saved! You could also list here what you need to have done and perhaps another American user could say if those prices seem reasonable?

At those figures, I'd definitely want a second opinion...phobia or no phobia. There's usually more options than just one hefty price tag...you may want cosmetic perfection at one end of the scale or just plain old dental health at the other.

Hi Woofy,

I can sympathise with you!  I also went to a sedation practice and paid a pretty penny to get my mouth healthy again.  I was offered a celebrity smile for a whopping $76,000 which would have been all crowns, implants, bone grafts, etc.  Needless to say I took the less expensive option which was almost as much as you were quoted.  

I agree with Polar and Brit, definitely get a second opinion.  I was so frightened and they were incredibly nice and were going to do everything with sedation so I didn't even study the treatment plan or ask for individual prices - I signed up just to get it done with.  If I hadn't let my fear get in the way I know that I probably could have gotten all the work done at half the price.  While my dentist is very good, he focuses on the cosmetic aspect of it all and is part of a dental spa so it was very expensive.  (I also had GA twice which contributed to the cost.)

Congratulations on going and I hope that this doesn't set you back or make you just give up and go for dentures.  If your teeth can be fixed at a cost that doesn't make you mortgage your house it's worth keeping them.  I'm sure if you check around you will find a dentist who doesn't charge so much and will be compassionate about your fear.

Good luck to you!

Pam

I should say that price is totally excessive and he's trying it on. What do you get for that, total veneers? There have to be other options - the first of which find another dentist. Anyhow, well done for summoning up the courage to actually get to a dentist. I know once you find the right one and the right price, you're going to get through all your treatment swimmingly and with great support from a great crowd on this board, a lot of whom have probably already been through what you will have to face. Best of luck and look forward to reading your continuing story. I tell you, some of the stories here should become best sellers. I would say though, at your age, try and do whatever needs to be done in order to keep your own teeth. There's nothing like them and you appreciate that if the time comes that you know you have to lose them. With me there really was no other option and I am very, very happy, but I've got a good few years on you!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm very distraught over spending 455.00 already in xrays and pictures only to find out that he wants to do this for 40,000. And he still hasn't taken care of the toothache that I went in for. I talked to a friend who is a dentist and he said it is excessive but he doesn't do sedation dentistry. I can't complain about how relaxing it was in the office but essentially is part of the hard sell campaign. Anyway I will be going to another Dentist and try and do things one thing at a time. I couldn't possibly afford 40,000 anyway. Thanks for the support.

If you are moving to another dentist, at least once you've found one, as you've already paid for the x-rays I should ask if you can have them. They might want to charge you an additional small fee for this but they shouldn't be able to say NO. At least then you wouldnt have to pay for x-rays again from another dentist, unless of course, its a long way down the line and your new dentist says he needs new x-rays.

Back