• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just found out i have serious gum disease, terrified about loose teeth and pain and treatment!! HELP

L

lulululu

Hi everyone, my name is Lu, I'm 28 years old and suffering from severe gum disease. I just found out how bad it is since I started going to a new dentist. The previous one, who put an implant in my mouth in may this year, said, when I asked her about the pain in my front teeth and gums, that it was nothing, just brush your teeth, she said. Now I went to this new one and she took some x-rays and pictures and so on and now I know the pain and the loose gums are because of periodontal disease, untreated so far. I've been dealing with the pain in the gums and a sensation of loose teeth for a year now, but lately it is much much worse. Two of my inferior front teeth feel quite loose though I can't see any movement when I look in the mirror but I CAN really feel it with my tongue. I'm scared. I have an appointment with this new dentist on Thursday, but I need to deal with this until then. Can my teeth fall out now, in these days? Can I eat and exercise? What should I do? I keep brushing them and flossing, especially on those two teeth which, also, have odd positions which is why so much tartar gets between them. Sometimes they bleed, other times they don't, and other parts of my mouth are also affected. I have an upper baby tooth and the permanent one is trapped inside. And I have all of my wisdom teeth, three of which are going to be taken out, the new dentist said. But I'm really terrified and upset and scared and fearful of the front teeth and the pain I feel there and whether I'll be losing them. Can they fall out without me being able to see them move?
I'm very much willing to go through gum treatment and everything else, but also very anxious about it. How long will it take? Will my teeth become MORE loose after treatment? How will I eat and speak? Is there a chance I'll lose my front teeth while sleeping? tonight?

I know I sound terribly dramatic, but the thing is I'm really keeping my cool about this with my parents and my boyfriend (whom I'm afraid will leave me if treatment is too difficult) and inside I'm actually freaking out. I know it is not the end of the world and everything, but fear overcomes me sometimes, like now.

excuse my English, I'm writing from Uruguay and in bad English shape.
Please, help :)?

Hi,

Firstly, your English is just fine. So don't worry about that!

I have early gum disease, and have found that after several good cleaning sessions from the hygienist at the dental surgery that it is under control. I clean my teeth after every meal, flossing first to remove debris.

I don't have any experience with severe gum disease but I sure understand your concerns. I think you need to ask the dentist everything you have asked here, if you can.

I can't imagine that you couldn't eat or exercise after any treatment - though of course after wisdom teeth extraction you won't be able to the first few hours.....

If the gum disease is to be treated by cleaning, it is really nothing to be afraid of. They just use this little tool which scrapes all the yucky bits off your teeth and in the gaps between your teeth and gums. It can sometimes be a little uncomfortable but it doesn't really hurt at all. They rinse the teeth with sterile water as they do it as well. The first time I had that done, I was a little sore afterwards for about 4 days, but not enough to stop me eating or anything like that. Then the gums healed and they have been good since. the trick now is to keep regular cleaning appointments and for me to be really good with my dental hygiene.

So I don't know how yours and my situations compare. I don't have any loose teeth.

All I can say is please don't be afraid of the gum disease treatment. It should make you feel better once it's done.

Please ask your dentist about losing those front teeth. I have no idea about that - though I don't think they just fall out?

:)

Minimal treatment for periodontitis:

• Brush and floss daily
  • Professional cleanings every three months
  • Don't smoke
  • Maintain healthy blood sugar

Hi there... I also have gum disease. My teeth the lower one is mobile. When my gums get really swollen the tooth shifted and I now have a gap. I have been ill so not been to the dentist in a few years. I have an appointment next week. From my understanding when the gums are cleaned your teeth can tighten up. Good luck and let me know how you get on. :)

Wow. I'm really surprised at how fast everyone has replied to this thread and I thank you all for your kind support. I was freaking out yesterday and I still am in pain but not freaking out so much anymore. Reading your comments has seriously helped, and yesterday night (every Monday night we eat ciabatta bread sandwiches at home) I ate my sandwich with knife and fork and tried not to make a big fuss about it and it turned out my boyfriend did not laugh at me or anything, so I'm starting to be at least mentally comfortable with the idea of going through treatment and all of that, mostly thanks to all of you and this wonderful website.

It's already Tuesday so I'll be controlling my anxiety until Thursday when I can ask the dentist about all of these things I fear, but in the meantime, thanks for the good advice!

I was asking about food and exercise because, when I exercise, which is only forty minutes a day and not too hard or anything, I feel that my front teeth and the place where I have the implant hurt more. I was wondering if I should stop exercising until I have the disease treated? I haven't really stopped because, on the other hand, it really helps with the nervousness and all of that.

I quit smoking tobacco in February, which is really great, but since then it seems my gums got worse. I sometimes do smoke one spliff, is this really bad for my gums? It's not like I smoke all the time or everyday or anything. sometimes it helps with the pain.

Again, thank you truly very much jw62, comfortdentist and mandyt, for your support really reaches me and it feels good not to be alone in fear and in pain and in treatment and such. May you all have healthy, painless mouths, may we all.

I'll tell you how it goes on Thursday. Thanks again :)

I too battled with severe gum disease unbeknownst to myself until a visit to my dentist about three years ago. I noticed the sensitivity & the spacing & finally the mobility of my teeth, but it finally became all too real when pieces of my teeth started to break off & my dentist suggested I see a periodontist. By the time I built up the courage to go most of my teeth were not able to be saved. l was mortified, but with the help of my periodontist and his staff I have been able to get on a regimen and was able to save over half of my permanent teeth. I am on my way back to a near perfect smile I just wish I had done what I needed to do sooner. If you're having these types of issues please don't hesitate to have them addressed immediately!

I too battled with severe gum disease unbeknownst to myself until a visit to my dentist about three years ago. I noticed the sensitivity & the spacing & finally the mobility of my teeth, but it finally became all to real when piece of my teeth started to break off & my dentist suggested I see a periodontist. By the time I built up the courage to go most of my teeth were not able to be saved. l was mortified, but with the help of my periodontist and his staff I have been able to get on a regimen and was able to save over half of my permanent teeth. I am on my way back to a near perfect smile I just wish I had done what I needed to do sooner. If you r having these types of issues pleased don't hesitate to have it addressed immediately!
Thank you for your kind advice and good luck with you near perfect smile :). What does it mean that your teeth started breaking off??? my teeth look very long, but they are in odd positions (they've been like that since i was little) and i feel them slightly moving but when i look in the mirror and try to move them with my fingers i don't see the movement....the feeling of the movement is with my tongue and it scares me terribly...is it like that, what you call mobility?? how long would it take for me to be able to see them move? would I see the movement before they start falling out???

I have an appointment with the dentist at five o clock in the afternoon (Uruguay time) tomorrow and I'm getting very very anxious, especially because I feel pain and tomorrow I'm only going to get my treatment plan but not the treatment yet, and I'm afraid about everything getting really worse, like losing my teeth, before I am able to treat it :/.

The teeth you saved with treatment, did that hurt a lot?

thank you so very much.:clover:

I'm new and don't really have any experience to offer you, or words of advice - but I want to tell you that I'm thinking of you today! I know your appointment is today, and mine is too! What time will yours be?

Prayers and good thoughts going up for you!

Jenna

Hi everyone, and huge thanks to all of you for your kind and strong and goodhearted support. I just came back from my appointment and i feel confident and well. Turns out i will not be loosing my front teeth (i can't believe it), not yet at least, not for some time. The dentist i'm seeing is a wonderful, understanding one and she explained to me in detail the treatment i will get. First i will have the cleaning (hygiene) and have a product that will change the ph in my mouth, that will be next wednesday. Then i will have 2 wisdom teeth removed and the four cavities treated. After which i will get brackets in order to arrange my front teeth (the ones i thought i was loosing) and have my baby tooth fall out and create the space for the permanent one to come out. There is a chance it won't get enough space to come out, in which case i will get surgery, but that i won't know until i do all these other stuff first. and that is all. it is going to be expensive and probably painful, but it is much much much better than i thought it would be. i believe all of your support and good faith and cheers and kindness was what encouraged me to go with a clear head to my appointment today and willing to hear the worst of news and now that it wasn't that bad i'm all the more thankful for each of your replies.
Jenna, i read your good vibes this morning and didn't have the clarity to respond and i want to thank you specially for you brightened my morning today. i hope your treatment goes peacefully well and that your kindness comes back to you three times stronger.
and to all of us, may we have healthy mouths and minds and hearts, may we all support each other and help each other. it is one life only. and it is, painful and difficult, it IS a beautiful life. may we all proudly and peacefully SMILE.:):):)

Hi everyone, how are you?

Yesterday I had the first session of my treatment. It was an air polishing as well as the normal cleaning that takes out the tartar. It was ok. Actually, when the air polishing began i had no idea what it was, but it didn't really hurt, it was more like an annoyance. And then, when i spitted, i saw a huge amount of blood, but the dentist said that is normal when you have a hydro. So it took about an hour, after which i felt my teeth really sensitive and my gums a bit beated, like irritated. I still do. But she said that happens and try not to take strange things from strangers into the mouth because bacteria are very likely to get in the just treated gums, so i'm a bit paranoid. Last night we had lentils and rice and i brushed and flossed like a maniac and my mouth hurt and bled. Now i'm having breakfast and it feels a bit painful, specially in the upper gums, and i'm paranoid of coffee and tea and everything that stains. I don't know, i hope i don't ruin this. I'm using two kinds of toothpaste and flossing every time, but that is very difficult because my teeth are all in this very odd positions and it's so hard to get between some of them (not for debris though!).

Anyway, just wanted to update. Next tuesday i'll be having the first wisdom tooth taken out, the one that's black with cavities.
Peace to you all.
:)

@lulululu
Hi, I just wanted to know how you got on and if you managed to get it under control? I’ve recently been told I have mild gum disease with little bone loss, but I’m petrified, so been looking at other peoples experiences.

Hi @Loosian, lulululu's post was from 2014 and we have changed our forum software since, so they won't have been notified about your reply... there is a recent thread on this topic here:

Back