• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got a partial on Monday, not liking it so far

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matt
  • Start date Start date
M

Matt

Junior member
Joined
Nov 13, 2009
Messages
17
Well I discovered this site after doing some searching for "how long it takes to get used to a partial" and other similar searches.

I hadn't been to a dentist in probably 17 years (I'm 30 now) and my teeth were bad. There were various reasons for not going sooner.
Money/insurance issues
really bad gag reflex and just general overall fear of dentists.

I found this great one. He's the nicest guy in the world, all of his hygienists are super nice. They make sure you are comfortable and don't do anything without telling you what they are doing.

I'm so glad I found him.

Anyway, on Monday I had oral surgery to remove about 16 teeth that were bad, including 5 or 6 on the top front (the most noticeable ones.)

I had a partial made (for the top front) a couple weeks ago while the old teeth were still there, but that didn't fit right after the teeth were removed. So I went back in to have a new impression made and will have that next week.

So for now I'm just avoiding human contact as much as I can and doing my best to get used to this partial that is too loose and is slipping around.


I'm wondering how long it takes to get used to having it in your mouth? Can you eat with it in?

I'm also wondering what people do at night. Do you take it out? leave it in? if you take it out, are you supposed to put it in something, like mouthwash or anything?


It's also causing a lot of irritation on my tongue and sides of my mouth, where it's rubbing. Is this normal? Or is it happening because the one I have doesn't fit right?


Any advice from anyone that's gone through similar things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


Edit

Also, I'm wondering how noticeable a Partial is. Is everyone i talk to going to know that I have fake teeth?
 
Last edited:
Hi Matt,
I have a partial but for the bottom front teeth. I have had mine since March and it did take awhile to get used to. I understand having one on top is different than one on the bottom but one thing that is the same is that having it right after extractions are done will almost never give you a great fit. Mine was an immediate partial and it was a bit off until my gums healed. Now that they have healed nicely, I have little to no discomfort with it. You can eat with it although at times it is a bit tricky. I always eat with mine and if there are some foods that won't allow me to chew them I either cut them up super small or avoid them all together.

At night I was informed to remove it and place it in water. I usually add a few drops of listerine to the water to kill any bacteria and stuff from the day. Oops almost forgot..before placing it in water before bed, I usually use a soft toothbrush or denture brush to brush the teeth.

As for people noticing, I have not had one single person ask me about it. Whether or not they notice, I have no clue but I do notice the difference but that's becaus eI know I have it.

Sure hope things improve for you and that you get comfortable with it.
 
I never got used to mine completely and was told by the dentist to not eat with it or sleep with it. Of course, I did both. It lasted roughly two years and cracked in half. I had to get used to talking with it. I felt like I sounded like Sylvester the cat. I used those denture tablets to soak mine in on the nights I left it out all night.
 
Hi Matt,

So happy that you found a wonderful dentist and caring hygienists too. It sure feels good to be in good care doesn't it?

As far as immediate partials go, they usually don't fit as well as partials that are made once healing has taken place. the one you have I'm sure is very irritating and what i can promise is that it will get better from here. if you have to wait too long before you receive the partial they are making next week, you can ask for a "soft reline" of the one you are wearing so that it will help it be a little more comfortable and a little more snug.

the next one will fit better because the impression was taken after the teeth were out... and therefore the partial will be made to be more accurate from what the shape of your gums are. with healing the gums will tighten and may need slight adjustment or a new partial some months down the road. depends on the type of partial you have now.

temporary partials are not super strong so you'll have to be choosy of the foods you eat with them in. the long term partials are much sturdier and you can definitely eat with them in.... the feeling is different than your natural teeth though.

ideal to take them out at night to allow the gums to "breathe" and the gums can only get air to them if the partial is out.

a well made partial will look good. people will not be able to tell that you have a partial. you think they can tell only because you know that it's a partial. but truly, partials can look pretty darn good and create good looking smiles. so smile wide and know that you have taken great care of yourself. that your teeth are healthy and you have a good looking smile!

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley
 
Hi Matt, you will get used to it, it just takes a lot of perseverance at first. And things will be a lot better once you get your new set. Of course you will be able to eat with it in, it will take practice to feel 'normal' but you will get there, trust me. My partial replaces the top front 4 teeth, there are pics in the before and after thread....it looks really natural and all I've had from people is compliments. Plus, at our age people aren't generally homing in on our teeth and trying to figure out if they're real or not :D

It's really up to you if you sleep with them in or out, I leave mine in, but if you take them out just put them in a cup of water to keep them moist overnight. And if there's any problem with movement later down the line, you can always use something like fixodent or polygrip once you're healed.

3 months down the line mine feel just like a part of me really, it's amazing how your body and mind adapts given chance. Good luck!!
 
Thanks for the comments guys. It's nice to know I'm not alone in what I'm going through.

I have great friends/family who are very supportive and encouraging, but it's just not the same if you haven't gone through something similar yourself.


I am getting used to having it in, but it feels like my tongue constantly wants to push it out. I'll just be sitting, watching tv or whatever and it's like my tongue is acting on it's own and tries to push the partial out.


My dentist did tell me that it's best to take it out at night, to give the tissue behind it a chance to breath. Last night i tried to sleep without it for the first time since I got it and it felt weird not having it in. So I guess that's a good thing. Instead of feeling weird having it in, it's feeling weird not having it in.
 
another question

I was reading online and someone said that it's common with partials to have them remade after a few months because the gums will have healed completely and may change slightly during that time.

Is that common? Having to have a new partial made after a few months?

My dentist didn't say anything about that, which is why I'm confused.
 
Hi Matt,

it depends on the type of partial that you initially have made as your immediate. they may do hard relines to fit your gums once they have healed. best thing is to ask your dentist what to expect once healing has occurred.... a reline? a new partial?

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley
 
I tried eating with the partial for the first time today and couldn't do it. I couldn't get enough saliva to swallow the food. I had to take a drink of water in order to swallow what I was eating.

Is that normal? Seems like a pain to have to take a drink of something everytime I need to swallow.


Ugh, I hate this. I can't afford permanent implants right now, so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.
 
just wanted to post a quick update.

just got back from getting my new partial.

It fits sooooooo much better. There's still a tiny big of wiggle, but only if I push on it with my tongue (I imagine that's normal.)

It was kind of funny, i had the original in when i got there. They had me take that one out, it popped right out instantly. They put the new one in and checked it. Then they asked me to take it out.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't get it out, LOL. I did finally get it out.

At least it's snug. not so snug that it's painful, but snug enough that it won't go anywhere.

I can also talk much better with this new one.

And it smooth, no rough edges on this one.

I feel almost normal again, which is a very, very good thing.



Thanks everybody for the advice and support. I plan to continue to come by whenever I get the chance. I may have other questions come up and also to provide moral support to everyone else on here.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top