• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Large filling still sensitive to cold

pinyonjay2

pinyonjay2

Hello,

I do plan to see the dentist again, but not sure how long I should wait so until then, going to ask here.

I had two amalgams removed / replaced and a cavity filled. One amalgam was a lot larger than the other and was simply broken, not having any apparent decay. (Although I don't know if the dentist happened to see any when drilling.) This is the tooth that is now extremely cold sensitive.

It was filled with composite. Filling was done on the 26th of August. I have a sharp pain if anything cold - especially cold water or soda- touches the tooth. It subsides after a while. Sometimes completely and otherwise a dull ache will linger for 30 minutes or so. This tooth also hurts if I chew on something like a bread crust or gummy candy. So if it's something hard/ crispy or sticky then it will hurt with the pressure.

How normal is a cold sensitive large composite filling? How long should this last?

I'm terrified that I'll need a root canal or extraction. :(

You need to get it looked at. Sensitivityity in composite fillings is usually due to a failure in the bonding between tooth and filling. It can be a fairly easy fix but it does need fixing!

You need to get it looked at. Sensitivityity in composite fillings is usually due to a failure in the bonding between tooth and filling. It can be a fairly easy fix but it does need fixing!
How can it be fixed? Thanks!

Back