• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lavender Oil

Hello, Here to report that my check up is tomorrow at 12 (high) noon. Obviously I'm feeling a bit apprehensive, but will attend and behave to the best of my ability.

As masks are mandatory in the surgery, I will apply the nose warmer ready filled with a cotton pad soaked in lavender oil, then put on my face mask. This will save time beforehand plus hopefully calming me down whilst waiting for the "inevitable"?

For sure, X-rays will be taken tomorrow; praying it's only that broken tooth needing attention. I did notice some staining on my lower back (wisdom) tooth, but the sea salt washes and brushing seem to have reduced it quite a bit - no pain at all - so ...

Also, the upper broken tooth has settled down since it broke off. I can brush it with no discomfort and it has blunted too, having previously a sharp edge to it. Anyhow we shall see what develops and what the final decision will be.

Now just need the Chaplain with me to share my last meal and give me some pastoral care.

Good luck @Rufus The Red

My check up the other week was ok and I did not gag AT ALL! i think having a 4pm appointment was better for me. I always used to book for first thing in the morning so I had less time to stress during the day however I actually now feel afternoon appointments could be the way to go for me.

Hello AndBreathe,

Aw, thanks for your support. Really glad to hear the later time worked for you. They say the gag reflex is worse in the mornings, so later on sounds to be a better bet.

I agree that an earlier appointment gives you less time to worry, but then you can prepare yourself trying the oils and calming your mind, if going later in the day.

It must be awful gagging like that, I've come close with those x ray things, they seem way to big for my mouth, she almost has to fold them in there!

My husband gags, I told him to try the throat spray. He gagged alot with a dentist that was quite hard/harsh and uncaring, yet almost nothing with the dentist who was caring and took her time.

My problem is jaw pain. Fillings are incredibly taxing on my jaw and cause immense pain, almost numbing pain.. opening my mouth just gets smaller and smaller! :/

Hello Nicci,

Because I have quite a small jaw, I always found those X-ray side wings very unpleasant in my mouth. Kept repeating the mantra "breathe through your nose" in my head, which did help. At least the things aren't in there all that long anyway and only one at a time thank goodness.

I agree that the dentist too can either make or break how you cope with certain situations - I had an unsympathetic, short tempered one many years back. I was out the door like a rocket, never to darken it again.

Another from earlier again, drilled quite a few of my teeth at one sitting, taking ages which hurt my jaw. I actually cried with fear whilst in the chair. When I questioned him, he became quite curt with me. So another one bit the dust.

Hello All,

Well a miracle happened today. Saw yet another new dentist (the 4th up to press, as they change frequently there), a very pleasant person indeed - so a good start already.

No X-rays were taken which surprised me, but I didn't question it as I was hearing - "0 lower, one broken upper, 0 upper and "very good" which I reckon was a good sign. Meaning no X-raying was needed. The broken tooth was considered to be functional, sound, with no sign of decay, but to keep an eye on it. He prodded around it but I felt not a twinge.

Strangely enough with all the research I have been doing and armed with back up - lavender oil, throat spray, nose warmer, eye mask, I felt really calm when I got up this morning and in the waiting room. Ready to face the battle head on, then peace was declared. Anyway at least I have things to hand now in case they are needed for future use.

I do hope others here are as fortunate with their treatment. The thing is I work on my teeth cleaning, using different types of brushes. I use the usual toothpastes, the pink gritty type, fine sea salt (brilliant for your gums and tooth stains; breath too). Brushing your tongue and around the inside of your mouth as well.

So as I've 9 months between appointments, I will carry on the good work I'm doing which seems to be paying off. I even use a shaving mirror and lamp to see what's going on in the hard to reach places.

Back