• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

leaving dentist

I did call a pediatric dentist and asked for a referral and they laughed Me off.
I've never heard anything like this before. I would write a letter to the owner and see what you get as a response.

I've never heard anything like this before. I would write a letter to the owner and see what you get as a response.
Btw I am 31. I know I am mentally retarded. Why would I need to need a referral from a Childrens Dentist?

I did call a pediatric dentist and asked for a referral and they laughed Me off.

This is terrible, Travie, so sorry to read that! No person ever has the right to laugh you off and if a dental care professional does that then they must have lost their mind! How unprofessional??!!

Dental care should be available for everyone regardless of any mental of physical health conditions and there are dentists who will be happy to treat you. I can‘t even imagine how discouraging your last experience must have been but please, keep on looking. There are kind caring dentists out there who will treat you with the respect and care you deserve, even if it might look difficult to find them.

We have a recommendation section here on the forum. It might be worthy to take a look if there is anyone in your area and contact them to ask whether they can help or tell you where to search.

This is terrible, Travie, so sorry to read that! No person ever has the right to laugh you off and if a dental care professional does that then they must have lost their mind! How unprofessional??!!

Dental care should be available for everyone regardless of any mental of physical health conditions and there are dentists who will be happy to treat you. I can‘t even imagine how discouraging your last experience must have been but please, keep on looking. There are kind caring dentists out there who will treat you with the respect and care you deserve, even if it might look difficult to find them.

We have a recommendation section here on the forum. It might be worthy to take a look if there is anyone in your area and contact them to ask whether they can help or tell you where to search.
I remember leaving the dentist office not only because the pain. I have a dentist appt for a Dentures Consultation for May 9th 2019. Since I have Delta Dental Smiles My options are limited.

Btw I am 31. I know I am mentally retarded. Why would I need to need a referral from a Childrens Dentist?
children's dentist are trained to treat patients with special needs and since people grow-up their patients will outgrow the pediatric dentist so they generally know who to recommend.

children's dentist are trained to treat patients with special needs and since people grow-up their patients will outgrow the pediatric dentist so they generally know who to recommend.
Understandable.

What I do not understand is the original NHS dentist who I did not like told me I needed three fillings and she informed me that it would be better to have them done as white fillings. I asked why and she said white ones would last longer. I am no dentist so I had to accept what she said was true. Not sure if she was trying to make money out of me or what because the better dentist who I am sticking with said no such thing and I do not need three fillings. I only need ONE plus the root canal done on the tooth that developed an infection recently and I can get everything done on the NHS. Why did the previous horrible dentist want to do all sorts of other work including a possible extraction. I think I had a very lucky escape if you ask me. This takes me back to the 70s when dentist used to drill and fill at every possible moment. However having said that I know some people who grew up during the 60s and 70s who have not got very many fillings and in fact one person only has two fillings so maybe people who were given all those fillings genuinely needed them.

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting an hospital's dental clinic? I know that my local hospital does include "physically and mentally challenged patients" in the list of eligible patients.

Hardly no dentist will treat Me because I am mentally retarded. It stinks.
The term mentally retarded is a term nobody uses any longer. It is considered rude to refer to somebody as retarded. People say they have learning difficulties now

The term mentally retarded is a term nobody uses any longer. It is considered rude to refer to somebody as retarded. People say they have learning difficulties now
Its not rude. It's the truth. I am sorry if You can't handle the truth. I am mentally retarded.

You can't tell Me what to say. I'll use the words I wanna use to describe Myself. I find other terms as rude. If I wanna use the term mentally retarded to describe Myself I will.

You can't tell Me what to say. I'll use the words I wanna use to describe Myself. I find other terms as rude. If I wanna use the term mentally retarded to describe Myself I will.
ok but never call someone else with a mental disability retarded. It is extremely rude

I never have and I never will. I am a bad teeth loser though. lol

Do you call offices referring to yourself as a "mentally retarded" person? If it's their first contact with you, as patient is trying to explain to you, it's perceived as very rude and could explain what you consider to be an unprofessional reaction.

Do you call offices referring to yourself as a "mentally retarded" person? If it's their first contact with you, as patient is trying to explain to you, it's perceived as very rude and could explain what you consider to be an unprofessional reaction.
Yes I tell them that I am mentally retarded. If they see it as rude that's their problem. I am not gonna sugarcoat My dissibillity.

Well here's your problem. Someone would call me and say that, I would immediately hang up the phone, thinking it was a prank call or a call from someone not mature enough to call me.

Well here's your problem. Someone would call me and say that, I would immediately hang up the phone, thinking it was a prank call or a call from someone not mature enough to call me.
I actually never start a conversation by saying I'm MR but I let them know not too long after the conversion starts that I am Mr.

Back