• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Loose dental implant crown?

S

southside420

Hi all,

I had an implant inserted into my jaw in April of 2018 and the final crown placed in October 2018. Yesterday, I noticed my crown was slight wobbling if I touched it, and made a clicking sound if I pushed down on it and tried to move it again. I called my dentist, the one who performed the restoration, and am seeing him next week.

I’m terrified my implant itself has failed, although everything looked good in November when I went in for my teeth cleaning. I have no pain, swelling or gum issues. I think I’m just paranoid because I really don’t want to go through all of this again. Until I see my dentist, I’m going to avoid chewing on the tooth.

The majority of loose implants crowns are due to the loosening of an internal screw that latches the crown to the implant. When this happens typically one of the following may be done:
1. A filling is removed from the top of the crown to access the screw, it is tightened or replaced an a new filling is placed over top. This is if it is a screw retained crown.
2. A hole is drilled thru the crown to access the screw then tightened or changed as above.
3. The crown is removed and the screw tightened or replaced and a new crown is made.

The majority of loose implants crowns are due to the loosening of an internal screw that latches the crown to the implant. When this happens typically one of the following may be done:
1. A filling is removed from the top of the crown to access the screw, it is tightened or replaced an a new filling is placed over top. This is if it is a screw retained crown.
2. A hole is drilled thru the crown to access the screw then tightened or changed as above.
3. The crown is removed and the screw tightened or replaced and a new crown is made.

Thank you. I believe my crown was cemented on. I really am not sure, but I do remember my dentist using the UV gun or whatever it was to seal it. I am unsure if there's a hole in the tooth crown, but I think he mentioned filling it in.

Back