• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mandibular Nerve Block or IANB Injection

W

wallies

Can anyone share their experience with this injection? I'm scheduled for a root canal on a lower premolar in about 2 weeks. I've never had this injection before and I'm terrified. My endo (who is, no joke, named "Dr. Jabbs") says she must do this. Will my dentist then need to give me another one when he fills/caps the tooth? So do I have two of these bad boys to look forward to? Not sure I can work up the nerve (ha ha) for all this.

HI wallies,

nerve block is what is needed when you get any work on lower teeth (could be except incisors, not too sure about this one). It simply has to do with the way your nerves and bone work: while on upper teeth you can inject next to the the tooth to numb it and will reach the nerve, if you did it on lower, the anesthetic simply wouldn't get there. That's why you get numbed at the spot where the nerve is accessible.
In the article here you can find a drawing of how the nerves work.

Anything in particular you are worried about?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I read the article and understand a bit better. I'm worried about the possibility of the needle hitting my nerve and causing long-term damage.

Thank you for your reply. I read the article and understand a bit better. I'm worried about the possibility of the needle hitting my nerve and causing long-term damage.
The danger of tearing the nerve with a needle is practically non-existent. It has never happened to me and I don’t know any dentist in person that has had this complication.

You should know that during the injection for the block, if the needle is touching the nerve, the patient feels it very well; it feels like an electric shock and that does happen from time to time but without any damage to the nerve. So if you feel nothing during the anaesthesia, there is no contact with the nerve.

If you want to be on the safe side, you can ask the dentist to prepare the medication (or the prescription for the medication) given in case of nerve damage (steroids).

I have had a few of these and am terrified of needles. I was also scared of the needle hitting the nerve and asked specifically about this due to a prior injury (not dental related). They told me this scenario is rare and although possible, is very unlikely to happen. The first time I had this kind of freezing it was rather unpleasant, I’m not going to lie. With that being said, the 2nd time was sooo much better. The difference between the two was the second dentist used a topical jel first to numb the area before he put the needle in. I was so scared, especially the second time, but they knew I was nervous and really worked with me to make the experience easier on me by going at my pace and talking me through it. This combined with the jel was really helpful. Maybe you can ask the practice if this is something they have access to and can offer you to help.

Back