• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Massive Fear of Dentist but need to go...

A

Ash1991

Hi all.

I'm a 29yo male. I am absolutely petrified of the dentist. I've had a root canal and other various fillings when I was younger but over the past 10 years, I would say, I've developed a massive fear of the dentist. I had two extractions about 5-6 years ago, they gave me diazepam beforehand. I think it was 2mg and to be fair, it did absolutely nothing to me. I felt sick, panicking, etc.... it took them over an hour due to this. I know if I was calm, it would take 10mins but the cracking noise and taste of blood, that was it, sent me in to a state of panic and shock.

Last time i went was about 3-4 years ago and he mentioned I needed more extractions due to broken teeth and decay. He then said he cant work on me due to my fear as I was adamant I wouldn't let him touch my teeth. They referred me to a sedation clinic but due to things going on, etc.... I never actually went and to be honest, I don't want to be sedated by IV as I am absolutely scared of needles aswell.

Now I'm getting pain and I've actually booked an appointment for Tuesday next week for a check up. Last time I went he already told me I needed two teeth removing and some other fillings but I've never had it done. I've come to the realisation that if I don't get it done, it may end up as a medical emergency and will be much worse.

Just to book an appointment is a big thing for me, never mind stopping myself cancelling it.

I really want to get all my teeth sorted this year. I've been babying the two broken teeth (which are black) for a few years now and its becoming a chore. Not to mention the taste of bacteria and bleeding every day.

I don't understand why I'm so scared of dentist. I've never had a bad experience as such and I've been going to the same dentist since I was born (private dentist). He even gives me the numbing gel first so I barely feel the injection, but as soon as I'm injected, that's it, I'm sweating, feel very hot, vision goes burry, feel sick, the lot. I'm like it with all injections or blood tests and to be honest it is very annoying.

Any tips :)

Hi first of all congratulations on taking the first step in you journey and booking an appointment. That’s amazing so well done. It’s understandable to be nervous with the appointment coming up.

In terms of iv sedation I must say the needle for that personally for me who also hates needles and almost at st them and gets so panicked. Having the iv set up was fine. The first time I used a numbing cream on my hand and didn’t know they had it in. The other times I didn’t use the cream and it was still fine.

Do you know if there is anything that may possibly help you during your appointment if you choose not to go down the sedation route

I wonder if you've been having a reaction to the numbing agent. I didn't know this until recently, and I only read it one place, but it seems at least some of them can have something in them that makes you feel "racy." Maybe they could try a different one on you? I'm just guessing, hope things get better.

Hi Ash 1991:welcome:,

well done on booking an appointment for Tuesday! :claps: It sounds like you are willing to move forward and get the treatment you need, but at the same time don't really know how to go about things or what is causing your phobia in the first place.

Trying to get some understanding about what is it that worries you the most or about how exactly did your fear develop, may make it easier to find solutions. For example, if you say that your massive fear of the dentist got developed over the last ten years, can you think of key visits that you found particularly difficult? Your extractions 5-6 years ago do sound pretty traumatic. I was wondering how your dental team dealt with your fear and what exactly was happening during that hour. If you felt like the diazepam did nothing, but started with the treatment anyway.. and then got into a state of shock and panic, but had the treatment anyway, then that sounds like an experience bad enough to make your fears worse.
Another thing I was wondering was this: does your dentist know about your fear of needles and if so, how did you come to agreeing to be referred to have an iv sedation? Also: did you and your dentist try to use other things that are available and help with dental fear, such as stop signal, taking breaks, planning the smallest treatment first to get used to it, or even other forms of medication? Did you have a chat about your reaction to injections and how to find a way to deal with it? Those may all be things that could help.

Dental fear can be complex. There are many things that can be tried out and it's mostly about trial and error and finding out what works for you, but the key is a good communication with your dentist and taking things at a pace that doesn't make you overwhelmed. My impression is that people sometimes try to push through too hard and that can make things worse, but not sure whether this could be the case for you too.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi first of all congratulations on taking the first step in you journey and booking an appointment. That’s amazing so well done. It’s understandable to be nervous with the appointment coming up.

In terms of iv sedation I must say the needle for that personally for me who also hates needles and almost at st them and gets so panicked. Having the iv set up was fine. The first time I used a numbing cream on my hand and didn’t know they had it in. The other times I didn’t use the cream and it was still fine.

Do you know if there is anything that may possibly help you during your appointment if you choose not to go down the sedation route

Thank you. Well its wasn't IV sedation specifically, i was just referred to another dentist that does sedation as my current dentist doesn't but they said they offer IV sedation. To be honest, the thought of gas sedation makes me feel ill aswell. I just feel scared to be sedated just in case I don't come back round normal if you know what I mean. I'm happy to give Diazepam a try again, just a stronger dose maybe.

I wonder if you've been having a reaction to the numbing agent. I didn't know this until recently, and I only read it one place, but it seems at least some of them can have something in them that makes you feel "racy." Maybe they could try a different one on you? I'm just guessing, hope things get better.

No I don't think so. Before I even get to the dentist I'm shaking and feel sick, never mind when i walk through the door. I've had injection with the gel and i feel the same way. It lasts for about 10mins then I feel ok to be honest but during the "incubation period" i feel like im on deaths doors with heart racing, sweating, feeling sick and blurry vision.

Hi Ash 1991:welcome:,

well done on booking an appointment for Tuesday! :claps: It sounds like you are willing to move forward and get the treatment you need, but at the same time don't really know how to go about things or what is causing your phobia in the first place.

Trying to get some understanding about what is it that worries you the most or about how exactly did your fear develop, may make it easier to find solutions. For example, if you say that your massive fear of the dentist got developed over the last ten years, can you think of key visits that you found particularly difficult? Your extractions 5-6 years ago do sound pretty traumatic. I was wondering how your dental team dealt with your fear and what exactly was happening during that hour. If you felt like the diazepam did nothing, but started with the treatment anyway.. and then got into a state of shock and panic, but had the treatment anyway, then that sounds like an experience bad enough to make your fears worse.
Another thing I was wondering was this: does your dentist know about your fear of needles and if so, how did you come to agreeing to be referred to have an iv sedation? Also: did you and your dentist try to use other things that are available and help with dental fear, such as stop signal, taking breaks, planning the smallest treatment first to get used to it, or even other forms of medication? Did you have a chat about your reaction to injections and how to find a way to deal with it? Those may all be things that could help.

Dental fear can be complex. There are many things that can be tried out and it's mostly about trial and error and finding out what works for you, but the key is a good communication with your dentist and taking things at a pace that doesn't make you overwhelmed. My impression is that people sometimes try to push through too hard and that can make things worse, but not sure whether this could be the case for you too.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thank you. Yes i really do want to sort my oral health out once and for all, I'm just so worried about dentist. I keep telling myself, it will just be a few sessions and all will be done. I know i will feel much better for it. I'm even afraid to go on holiday just incase I get tooth pain, etc.... I can no longer eat on the right side of my mouth either and the left side has two missing molars so I have trouble eating on that side.

I don't know why i developed fear. I remember having a root canal (15-16years ago). I'm sure i was there for over an hour lay in the dentist chair with these metal screw rod like things going in to my teeth with string attached to them (not sure what they were). I was fine for the whole procedure. I keep trying to think back to these days but i cant, I'm so scared and i don't know why. I wish i knew why. Even the extractions a few years ago weren't too bad if I remember correctly but I'm absolutely scared to death to go Tuesday, even for a check up. I think I'm scared about being told all my teeth are bad and need a full extraction, i don't know.

My dentist is very kind and will take things slowly. When I've had previous treatment, he said I can stop at any time by raising my hand, etc.... He takes the time to explain it all, hes generally a nice guy and cant fault him.

I just have a lot of trust issues aswell i think like what my dentist thinks like "oh that tooth is bad, it needs pulling out", another dentist may not agree and say yes it can be fixed, etc...

I really wish I knew why i was so scared. I have doctors appointment today as I've felt really ill all week (dizzy and feeling sick) and i know its because of this dentist appointment Tuesday. Now i feel scared because I've got to go to doctors and i think they are going to want to do a blood test (fear of needles). This is adding to my Anxiety. I will also ask for diazepam for next week for dental check up on Tuesday.

My family are very supportive and someone always come with me to all my dental appointments but due to coronavirus, no one is allowed to come in with me on Tuesday which makes me even more scared.

Last edited:
After visiting the doctors on Friday, they have prescribed me 14x 2mg diazepam. He said take one a few hours before my appointment then one an hour before. I really hope this helps. My teeth are getting close to the point that if I don't get them sorted, I will end up loosing them all. Luckily for me, cost isn't an issue really as I have relatively well paid job so I think myself lucky in that aspect (im private not NHS dentist).

If this doesn't work, I will speak to doctor or dentist and see if I can take a bigger dose.

Just got back from my check-up and 5 x-rays :scared:.

Took 2mg diazepam 2 hours before and another 2mg 45mins before. All i can say is wow!

The last time i went i was feeling sick, passing out, sweating ,etc.....

This time however I was absolutely fine. I walked in happy as Larry and walked out feeling fine. I think the diazepam did its job and i recommended anyone to get some from your doctor before going. I have always be terrified of the dentist, and i mean terrified. I didn't think there could possibly be anyone else more scared of the dentist than me. The diazepam i think has done its job absolutely amazingly to the point I think I could have had a filling there and then with no issues. I was even cracking jokes with my dentist and laughing. Absolutely amazing!

Now for the bad bit... I need 2 maybe 3 extractions and 6-7 fillings along with two hygienist appointments. I have booked both hygienist appointments first to try and break myself in slowly and then a small filling.....all 3 appointments to be done within the next 4 weeks.

If anything, I am feeling excited I'm finally getting my teeth done after living with the fear of loosing all my teeth, infections, abscesses to which I have been scared of leading to an early death.

TO ANYONE WHO IS NERVOUS/FRIGHTENED, GET YOUR DOCTOR TO PERSCRIBE YOU DIAZEPAM! LIKE I SAID, I NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE COULD BE MORE SCARED OF THE DENTIST THEN ME BUT I HONESLY BELIEVE THE DIAZEPAM WORKED AND I FEEL GREAT :).

If your nervous and your reading this. good luck with your treatment. If i can do it, anyone can :grin:

Just got back from my check-up and 5 x-rays :scared:.

Took 2mg diazepam 2 hours before and another 2mg 45mins before. All i can say is wow!

The last time i went i was feeling sick, passing out, sweating ,etc.....

This time however I was absolutely fine. I walked in happy as Larry and walked out feeling fine. I think the diazepam did its job and i recommended anyone to get some from your doctor before going. I have always be terrified of the dentist, and i mean terrified. I didn't think there could possibly be anyone else more scared of the dentist than me. The diazepam i think has done its job absolutely amazingly to the point I think I could have had a filling there and then with no issues. I was even cracking jokes with my dentist and laughing. Absolutely amazing!

Now for the bad bit... I need 2 maybe 3 extractions and 6-7 fillings along with two hygienist appointments. I have booked both hygienist appointments first to try and break myself in slowly and then a small filling.....all 3 appointments to be done within the next 4 weeks.

If anything, I am feeling excited I'm finally getting my teeth done after living with the fear of loosing all my teeth, infections, abscesses to which I have been scared of leading to an early death.

TO ANYONE WHO IS NERVOUS/FRIGHTENED, GET YOUR DOCTOR TO PERSCRIBE YOU DIAZEPAM! LIKE I SAID, I NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE COULD BE MORE SCARED OF THE DENTIST THEN ME BUT I HONESLY BELIEVE THE DIAZEPAM WORKED AND I FEEL GREAT :).

If your nervous and your reading this. good luck with your treatment. If i can do it, anyone can :grin:

Yayyyy congratulations on going to your appointment. Well done it’s amazing. I know I felt the same once I went, excited and proud of myself to go and get it all sorted so I could stop worrying about it.

Sounds like today’s positive experience and working up from the hygienist appointment is s good idea. Take it at your own pace and get your confidence up. Honestly just like the first appointment today it will be fine and not as bad as you worry about. Good luck with your appointments and keep us updated or ask any more questions in the run up

Hey, glad the appointment went so well! It sounds like you have found the right dose of diazepam that works for you. When it comes to meds, everyone reacts a bit differently. I was wondering whether your dentist offered you to prescribe it for you next time?

Hey, glad the appointment went so well! It sounds like you have found the right dose of diazepam that works for you. When it comes to meds, everyone reacts a bit differently. I was wondering whether your dentist offered you to prescribe it for you next time?

Well a few years ago my dentist prescribed me one 2mg diazepam tablet. This did absolutely nothing for me. Last Friday I went to my doctors and explained I have terrible and I mean terrible anxiety about the dentist so he prescribed me 14x 2mg diazepam and advised me to take one 2 hours before and another 1 hour before. I did this and it made a massive difference. I was happy to walk in to the dentist with no sweating, feeling sick or shaking, it was great!

I still have 10x tablets left which I will use for my upcoming appointments. When I start to run out and if I require more dental work I will be asking for another prescription. The best £9.25 for the prescription I've spent in years.

If anyone has never used diazepam before I highly recommended visiting your doctor and asking if they help. I've never been one to believe in medication like tablets, etc...but these honestly did the trick.

We usually recommend people to get prescriptions directly from the dentist or at least to consult them, just because the person who does the treatment should know what pills will you be taking and can also factor in the concrete treatment that will be done. If the dentist is reluctant to prescribe anything, then the GP will obviously be the only option, but it‘s not that ideal. That was the background of my question. Sounds like you have the next visits covered anyway, so it will take time until you need a new prescription. Being able to deal with a dental visit feeling relaxed sounds really nice :)

We usually recommend people to get prescriptions directly from the dentist or at least to consult them, just because the person who does the treatment should know what pills will you be taking and can also factor in the concrete treatment that will be done. If the dentist is reluctant to prescribe anything, then the GP will obviously be the only option, but it‘s not that ideal. That was the background of my question. Sounds like you have the next visits covered anyway, so it will take time until you need a new prescription. Being able to deal with a dental visit feeling relaxed sounds really nice :)

As soon as i walked in to the dentist i told the receptionist and my actual dentist that i have taken diazepam. They were absolutely fine with it and I said I will be taking it again before my next visit.

Well since I last posted I've had two hygienist appointments and today, I've had one filling done.

I will admit, I used diazepam for both hygienist and filling but I never felt sick, fainting, etc... like i always have done in the past. Had LA with no issues and felt all fine. I asked for the numbing gel and my dentist said "oh ok then, I will break my rule of under 16's for you" haha. My teeth and gums are looking much better now and don't need to see hygienist for another 3 months.

I feel so relieved that I can actually get my dental work done now. I still need another 6-7 fillings and 3 extractions but I'm getting there slowly.

This forum has been a big help as I now know I'm not the only person who suffers terribly with anxiety. I thought i was the worst person in the world for being scared of the dentist. So thank you to everyone here :)

I will keep you all posted with my next treatment which is 26th May for another filling or maybe even two at a time :)

Congratulations on your successful dental visits! It sounds like the experiences have been pretty tolerable. I wish you continued success. Woot woot- time to celebrate! ?

UPDATE!

Sorry for not updating sooner.

Over the past 12 months I've had 2 hygienist appointments, 7 fillings and 3 extractions.

Two of those extractions was today which has now completed my treatment.

I admit, today I was scared to death but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. Felt sick and lightheaded a few times but it was all over within a few mins after the 9 injections :redface:. When I thought he had only removed the one tooth, he actually had done both and just needed a few stitches.

My next appointment is in 6 months time for a check up.

This website has been a god send and very helpful knowing I'm not the only one going through this experience with so much worry.

Thank you and good luck to you all! If I can do it, you most certainly can!

Congratulations!!!! It's not easy to face your fears, but you did. and congrats on having a healthy mouth again.

Congratulations!!!! It's not easy to face your fears, but you did. and congrats on having a healthy mouth again.
Thank you. Feel so much better in myself now, even 2 hours after extractions. Just need to let my dual extraction site heal now ?

Congratulations @Ash1991 ?! What a great update ?. Wishing you a very speedy recovery!

This is lovely, thank you so much for coming back and giving us an update. Isn't it funny how when you are trying to beat your fear, it's the only thing you think of 24/7 and then once you have a good dentist and things start rolling, it's not even worthy to analyze every single appointment and write about it? :) Looks like you figured out what works for you and it sounds like you are able to actually accept a bit of anxiety and go with it. What a progress, love it. Thanks again for the update and for your kind words :love: