• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Michigan splint impressions- worried

T

TheTinyDancer

Hey, I've been advised by my dentist/max fax consultant to get a michigan splint as I've tmjd and have been clenching a lot at night. I had a splint made in January made by my original dentist in which she used a digital scanner to take the impressions of both the bottom and top teeth. Long story short I wasn't able to pick it up until a fortnight ago and turns out that it was actually a tanner splint she made but also it didn't fit as bottom wisdom tooth had erupted more. So she took another impression and told me this time it would be for an upper splint. When I queried why she had originally made a tanner as opposed to a michigan she just said "they work exactly the same." However, as lovely as my dentist is, she is extremely hard to get an appointment with so it could be ages again before I actually get it fitted. Another dentist in a different practice has a special interest in tmj and said he will make me a michigan but that he uses putty. The appointment is scheduled to be an hour long. I asked why it was so long and the receptionist told me the dentist is very precise and puts devices in the ears etc to ensure the bite is accurate. My questions are
1) can putty pull out fillings (my biggest fear especially as I have a dodgy distal filling between my upper 5 and 6)
2) is it normal for impressions to take so long. Bear in mind this is just the initial appointment, I'll still have to return once it's made by the lab to get it fitted
3) can teeth be damaged further by clenching into hard acrylic
Have got myself into a bit of a state about it all. Any advice would be really appreciated.

1) Not a chance, however if you're really worried about a specific filling ask the dentist to put a smear of vaseline over it first (it's not really necessary but it might make you feel better about it!).
2) I don't think it's the impressions that'll take the time, it'll be all the jaw registration stuff he's planning to do as well. That stuff is a massive fiddle and can take ages.
3) No the acrylic is much softer than enamel.

Thank you so much for your reply @Gordon . You really are so kind. As always your reply is greatly appreciated, and as I've said before I really wish you were my dentist (despite you not practicing anymore!)

Back