T
TooManyFillings
Member
- Joined
- Apr 15, 2008
- Messages
- 51
Before reading the details below, please see the following post from late October:
www.dentalfearcentral.org
So I've just had the temporary filling removed and the Onlay fitted. It was only a few hours ago as of the time of typing this but now I'm getting a constant moderate to fairly bad ache from the tooth when I'm not even drinking or chewing. It's also extremely sensitive to cold liquids (which wasn't the case when the temporary filling was in place, I then only had slight cold sensitivity). There's so much cold sensitivity now that even if I breathe with my mouth open or take a deep breath with it open the tooth is really painful.
As noted in the linked post above, I had pain when biting on it with the temporary filling, but not like this. I should also add that the upper and lower teeth in front of it are also aching a little, plus I have a moderate headache .......
I guess the nerve was aggravated when fitting the onlay and perhaps there is more sensitivity to cold because maybe the onlay isn't insulating as well as the temp filling due to the different material?
Whatever the case I'm very surprised that it's so much more painful than before. Took some paracetamol an hour ago and it's made no difference at all.
I would call my dentist but it's evening now. I'll call tomorrow if it's the same or worse but am curious what the experts here think. I am hopeful that it will settle down but plenty of past experience has taught me that whenever I've had a tooth with this level of pain something else needs to be done, and that something has always been a root canal filling or extraction. I can though hope that this time might be the exception to the rule ..........
Should I still be getting pain when biting on a tooth with a temporary filling?
Some details: a few months ago I started getting mild to moderate pain when chewing involved my upper right rear molar. My dentist found nothing obvious wrong but seeing as it has a few pretty old fillings in it he suggested replacing them all with an 'onlay' instead of using a crown (the latter...
www.dentalfearcentral.org
So I've just had the temporary filling removed and the Onlay fitted. It was only a few hours ago as of the time of typing this but now I'm getting a constant moderate to fairly bad ache from the tooth when I'm not even drinking or chewing. It's also extremely sensitive to cold liquids (which wasn't the case when the temporary filling was in place, I then only had slight cold sensitivity). There's so much cold sensitivity now that even if I breathe with my mouth open or take a deep breath with it open the tooth is really painful.
As noted in the linked post above, I had pain when biting on it with the temporary filling, but not like this. I should also add that the upper and lower teeth in front of it are also aching a little, plus I have a moderate headache .......
I guess the nerve was aggravated when fitting the onlay and perhaps there is more sensitivity to cold because maybe the onlay isn't insulating as well as the temp filling due to the different material?
Whatever the case I'm very surprised that it's so much more painful than before. Took some paracetamol an hour ago and it's made no difference at all.
I would call my dentist but it's evening now. I'll call tomorrow if it's the same or worse but am curious what the experts here think. I am hopeful that it will settle down but plenty of past experience has taught me that whenever I've had a tooth with this level of pain something else needs to be done, and that something has always been a root canal filling or extraction. I can though hope that this time might be the exception to the rule ..........
Last edited: