• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

More and more anxious as IV sedation nears

4 more days. I have been a mess so far today. Anxiety so bad that Im gagging. Trying to get that under control so that i can take a xanax.
I also made the mistake of looking up IV sedation deaths. ??‍♀️ Im so scared Im going to stop breathing. I guess its more likely for a longer procedure but this is a short 30ish minute one. I know I need to talk to the oral surgeon more the day of. I plan on getting there early so I can talk through my concerns with the staff. For now…I vent my anxiety here. ?

3 more days ???
Im kind of ok anxiety-wise. Havent had to take a xanax yet today. Im still going to call tomorrow and see if i can do half a xanax in the evening then the other half in the morning. I think a full one on an empty stomach is gonna hit me hard to where i cant function (like not be able to leave my apt etc bc ill be so woozy).
Ive kinda moved on from worrying about breathing to how im going to react after..like when they “wake me up”.

Well, this is a slight turn of events. My asthma is really bad now. I bought a vaporizer to breathe in steam (with menthol? Pods) to clear out my sinuses. It worked for my sinuses but appears to have triggered my asthma real bad. My inhaler didnt help. I can breathe, im just coughing nonstop. I hope this goes away in time for my appt on tuesday. Ill have to see if they have a cough suppressant ?

Tomorrow 10am is the big day.
I ended up with some pretty bad vertigo about an hour and a half ago. I had laid back for a minute and started feeling it. I chugged a lot of gatorade, took half a xanax (bc i was freaking out), and ate some pasta. Also kept very still and didnt move my head too much.
I really hope this molar (#18, lower left) being pulled helps with ear issues. I feel like since its been infected for so long, that its causing all these issues on the left side of my face. Ear aches, occasional vertigo, etc etc. ??????
My mom also pointed out that i did have the sedation when i had a colonoscopy when i was in my late teens. I dont even really rememeber it. ? My wisdom teeth i remember a mask going over my nose/mouth then drifting off to “sleep” then waling up in a recovery area.

Vertigo went away and then came back about 30 mins ago. Im kinda nervous Im going to be turned away from my appt tmrw if Im still having vertigo

Hi. I had IV sedation for dental procedures, you will be fine and surprised at how relaxing it was. We are all with you in spirit, let us know how youre doing. ?

Hi. I had IV sedation for dental procedures, you will be fine and surprised at how relaxing it was. We are all with you in spirit, let us know how youre doing. ?

Thank you ????
I have severe anxiety issues so this is just…too much ?. I feel kinda dumb too but its just an extraction of a very loose molar (with abscess) then a possible bone graft…just a really short procedure. Surgeon said 30 mins for extraction, 45 if theres bone graft too. But i guess that includes getting set up w everything then the iv/local

Ooook 2 and half hours til IV sedation. Doing fairly ok so far. Got up and started making coffee, but then realized I cant drink it. ??‍♀️ Hoping to get there early and hoping they can get me in sooner. I think Im the first appt of the day. ??

Called and cannot get there early. ??‍♀️ So now im just gonna sit here all hungry. ? I kinda feel too exhausted to be anxious.

Omg this was so easy. I went back at like 9:50 and was done by 9:36. First they did they nitous which was awesome. Then before i know the dr was in and doing the IV. IV didnt hurt….but it was just so WEIRD. i couod feel him pulling the tooth. Stuffing thr socket…then heard him sybhe was finishinf theclasy stich. Then i was just done….now im in recovery. SO EASY. I wanna do it again??

So glad - but not surprised! - that it was all good for you today. Put your feet up and relax now. Let's hope you DON'T have to do it again, and be happy that should you need to, you're going to be cool with it. :) Fingers crossed the extraction will have all the good effects you've been hoping for.

It's my turn tomorrow afternoon - not IV, just a first exam with a new practitioner. So far not lost sleep over it, quite looking forward to seeing how I manage with the new fellow. Ache not gone away, so I know I'll need some follow-up soon.

So glad - but not surprised! - that it was all good for you today. Put your feet up and relax now. Let's hope you DON'T have to do it again, and be happy that should you need to, you're going to be cool with it. :) Fingers crossed the extraction will have all the good effects you've been hoping for.

It's my turn tomorrow afternoon - not IV, just a first exam with a new practitioner. So far not lost sleep over it, quite looking forward to seeing how I manage with the new fellow. Ache not gone away, so I know I'll need some follow-up soon.
Correction, was done at 10:36. soo easy. Soo glad its over.

I did get the bone graft. He wasnt sure if it was needed but so far im ok painwise. Just really tired and a little wobbly.

Youll do great with your appt tmrw!

Alright alright
About 4 hours post-op.
Still numb but can feel it starting to lessen. I think I slept for maybe an 30 mins to an hour. Im pretty lucid, just tired. Been keeping an ice pack on my face. Took one of the 800mg ibuprofen earlier. I have a narco perscription but I dont think Im gonna need it. The surgeon said he would call this evening to follow. I gotta ask about the zpak. And just how infected the tooth was and if there was any correlation to ear aches, vertigo, etc.
Self dissolving stitches take about 3 weeks to dissolve. Though Im a bit nervous to look at the inside of my mouth ?. I think ill wait until tomorrow.

My problem right now is an elevated heart rate. Idk if its just anxiety. I cant think of anything else that it coupd be

Nearly 11pm and I feel back to normal. The oral surgeon was reallly shocked i wasnt in pain given how bad my infection was and the amount of bone loss. Didnt even fill the ‘script for oxy.

Cant open my mouth too wide but thatll easy up in a few days. Just have to stick to a soft food diet for awhile.

I think Im going to use nitrous for the rest of my procedures-one more temporary crown and 7 cavities. Get it all out of the way.

What a ride this was.

Day 2
Woke up way earlier than normal and was a little fuzzy on what day it was.

but its like all the sinus and other issues i had going on on the left side of my head are GONE. Usually have cough all morning especially after coffee, but not today. No stuffy nose. No weird head pain.

Did have to call the doctor to see about getting something other than a zpack. Maybe me too jittery/anxious, and I already have bad anxiety issues. Dont want to make them worse. Hopefully he puts me back on amoxicillin. ????

Woozy feeling is back. Like the top of my head hurts a little. Took some ibuprofen and xanax. Hoping its just the medication from the IV working its way out of me…oral surgeon said it metabolizes quickly but i have such weird reactions to medication. Just going to chug water and hope this goes away soon

So turns out i have a bad ear infection which is causing vertigo (constant wobbly feeling). Im not sure if its related to the tooth infection but i got a new prescription for a super antibiotic so hopefully that helps.

Extraction area seems to be healing okay. A bit sore and tender today. Still cant open my mouth that wide and jaw hurts when i talk for longer periods. The stitches feel weird. I can feel them at the back. Still keeping ice on it…
Soft food diet for 3-4 weeks.

Update:
Im STILL recovering. Im fairly pain free…the ear pain I learned is from swelling/inflammation, so ice and ibuprofen helps. The stitches are annoying, like the surgeon left them too long. And im just EXHAUSTED. i hadnt been able to stand/move around for long periods of time without getting woozy. It gets better each day…but i really underestimated the recovery process. One of my therapists said that its like the stress/adrenaline of two months worrying about the procedure has come down and thats whats making me physically feel this way ??‍♀️

Back